Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass Pedal - ADAM

ashevans09

Well, this came from nowhere.

Utlising some Quad Cortex tech as well with those footswitch/control knob attenuators.  Interesting! But yes, I imagine this won't be less than £500...

EDIT*  £469?  Not as bad as I thought at all, considering the standard Ultra costs...

Edited by Kev

Demo sounds good.

But I have to say - I'm starting to get a bit bored with all metal related bass tones all sounding like Darkglass. I love my DG amp and pedals and use them for many different things, but the super crunchy distorted  bass tone is everywhere and just like the walls of Dual Recs guitar sounds in the 90s it's getting a bit dull.

That being said - I love the footswitch / Encoder dual function things. Although at the same time if I had just been in a pub toilet I would not want to touch anything I have stepped on.

40 minutes ago, Naigewron said:

Once that demo started I could feel how tired my ears are getting of that Dingwall/Darkglass distortion sound. I wish they could focus a little bit more on their other tonal offerings, but I guess they've figured out what sells.

I would also love to see other basses/styles.

I use my dg pedals with p bass's and they sound very different to the Dingwall demos

• Like 2

Have to say that, as much as I occasionally enjoy the DG sound, I too am getting bored of the generic metal distortion tone that everyone seems to get from their products. A cool sound, in and of itself, but (I don't want to sound like an old fogey) it really is getting to the point of 'it all sounds the same'....

Emperors new clothes and all that..... I expect they'll bring out a £600 ltd edition 'engraved' version too....

Edited by cetera
  • Like 6

Guess I'm a little less bored, in that I've only recently started using DG dirts more regularly, BUT you can get bloomin' close using the DG sim on a Zoom B1-4 multifx and that will set you back all of £65 (and it does a lot else besides a decent DG B7K impression!)

If you want a really crunchy sound that is a little less hackneyed, try a gated fuzz in front of your B7K (or in my case B7K sim on my Zoom)

e.g. Tech21 Red Ripper --> B7K. Very tasty!

Besides price, the other factor is that this looks like quite a sizeable pedal that will take up quite a chunk of PB space.

Edited by Al Krow

Love my Alpha Omega and M900, but like others in here the Dingwall + ultra-clean distortion isn't really my vibe. I like having a bit more hair around the edges, which the A/O and VMT already provide very well.

Still keen to hear more from this though - I'm sure it's capable of a lot more than what we're seeing so far, even if it's probably not gonna be a must-have for me personally.

47 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Love my Alpha Omega and M900, but like others in here the Dingwall + ultra-clean distortion isn't really my vibe. I like having a bit more hair around the edges, which the A/O and VMT already provide very well.

Still keen to hear more from this though - I'm sure it's capable of a lot more than what we're seeing so far, even if it's probably not gonna be a must-have for me personally.

From what Nolly has said, there are five new distortion algorithms in this, ranging from dark drive to almost synth like fuzz.  I agree, we need to hear a solid demo without a Dingwall anywhere near it to see what this has to offer compared to the rest of the range.

If first impressions from the description/power consumption is right and these are digital algorithms, it'll be the first digital distortion by Darkglass.  Big step, but perhaps natural with Neural so closely linked.

I think I will still be going for a B7K/AO Ultra ahead of this (or maybe just the 500 watt AO amp). This new pedal looks really good but I just don't need that amount of options!

I have the Duality, B3K and AO (original) already. The Duality is actually my favourite out of the three because it is a straight ahead filthy fuzz so it is utterly useless for the traditional Darkglass 'advert tone' of clanky, modern, metal. The B3K is to me 'decent to good' at low gain but I don't like the high gain settings. B3K stacked into the AO is glorious though. 

Am I the only one thinking that DG have just pushed the price too far for mere mortals?

I have a harmonic booster, a B3k and the element which are simply perfect for my needs into an Orange terror 500: and I went straight onto bass direct to click buy to add this to the arsenal..........- 

But - eh.......

im sorry Mr. Darkglass, as much as I love the gear,  in the covid times we are living in £469 (yes 469 quid) is just getting too close to the £500 point. 

For me - this is the wrong time to be slapping a nearly 500 quid price tag on a pedal.and dropping it into a pre Christmas market of bass gear-aholics who will wham it on a credit card which is already bursting at the seams if it’s anything like mine.

Sorry for what may be a bit of a gripe but had to share....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Black Coffee said:

Am I the only one thinking that DG have just pushed the price too far for mere mortals?

I have a harmonic booster, a B3k and the element which are simply perfect for my needs into an Orange terror 500: and I went straight onto bass direct to click buy to add this to the arsenal..........- 

But - eh.......

im sorry Mr. Darkglass, as much as I love the gear,  in the covid times we are living in £469 (yes 469 quid) is just getting too close to the £500 point. 

For me - this is the wrong time to be slapping a nearly 500 quid price tag on a pedal.and dropping it into a pre Christmas market of bass gear-aholics who will wham it on a credit card which is already bursting at the seams if it’s anything like mine.

Sorry for what may be a bit of a gripe but had to share....

I wouldn’t apologise, this comment is in every new Darkglass thread 😂

I think the price is lower than expected, given how many more features it has than an Ultra pedal, which have rrps of £399.  £70 for presets, two different signal paths, a two channel audio interface and all the modern techy stuff doesn’t sound bad at all.

I always respond the same way though, it isn’t just Darkglass! The tech21 Geddy is Ultra priced, and that has comparable features.  It’s just the price of this level of gear these days.  For me, Darkglass has never put something out for an unexpected high price, in fact they seem to continually come in less than I’d expect.

Edited by Kev

I will be intrigued as to what else the pedal can do aside from the obvious metal sound we all hear - DG stuff is way more versatile than the A/V we see out there in you tube land, I really wish they would do some more of that themselves.

Regarding price - it really is not that bad I think - the argument about an amp is not much more for example doesn’t really hold water - ICE power modules etc will have a set price. People will bring out the Helix argument and say, that does way more and is a similar price - doesn’t hold water in my view especially as Line6 and Yamaha are such a big company.

DG is big to us as bassists, but overall it’s a small company where things are tough. Maybe he has shared some platforms with the DSP upcoming, which makes business and manufacturing sense, but the R&D that would have gone into this is huge.

I think it’s a very decent price point actually for this.

It entirely dependent on what is being made, and you don’t have the benefit of spreading the load for R&D across vast areas, bulk buys - after paying bills, patents, machines, staff, marketing etc. He still has to pay himself a wage, there will be less flex in the system.

Fender can make a Squier bass, or Harley Benton can make one and sell for about £100 (lots of stuff from shared factories). Regardless of quality of instrument there is absolutely no way with my small premises I could make one at that cost

21 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

I wonder how much post production has been done on the sound?

If ya got the money, a pro or otherwise, it's £500 for a distortion pedal...

It really isn't £500 for a "distortion pedal"....

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

As it seems to be digital and uses the same encoders I'm guessing it's just a cut down Quad Cortex.

A DG Stomp if you will. But with less stuff.

Whilst they have common ancestry they are quite separate companies. For example, I know Neural do not have the rights beyond the B*K and Vintage circuits to the Darkglass products, hence there is no X/Alpha Omega plugins or models on the QC.  I don't know how related this will be beyond the encoders, its mainly based on technology from the Element.