Why become a member? ×

MM & P pickup - needs active blend?

bloke_zero

I currently have a MM and a P pickup wired passively VVT (250K pots) with the MM wired to a switch giving series/single/parallel. They sound good individually witha lot of snap from the MM and plenty of body from the P pickup.

But there isn't a lot of value blending the 2 together at the moment, and I guess that is because of things I don't really understand about pot loading, imedance and direct current resistance. Ideally I'd like to be able to sneak a bit of the P pickup in to add body to the MM.

Would the best way to do that would be a buffered blend and maybe have the tone passively just on the P to maintain that passive P sound?

Any suggestions for active/buffered blend? I looked at the Noll active blend pot - feeling that might be best.

Both options mentioned are functional ones. It is also possible to get a preamp with active mixing, like John East and Audere.

I put a Noll Mixpot to Modulus Graphite Quantum. The bass has bartolini NTMB tone module (B & T) and the Mixpot was a good addition to the system. I had tried Vol + Vol, and Vol + Blend, but was not satisfied with the results. Mixpot is nice but it requires some accurate soldering in tiny places. Take your time with it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Thanks - I wasn't sure from the blurb that it would work with non EMG pickups but reading the wiring notes it's clear that it does. I like the whole solderless thing EMG does - I wonder what connectors they are?

14 hours ago, itu said:

Both options mentioned are functional ones. It is also possible to get a preamp with active mixing, like John East and Audere.

That's the direction I've gone in - this guy makes a buffered input and low pass filter per pickup which sounds perfect: https://facebook.com/Lusithand/ 

He seems like a really nice guy, and he lives near me North London. I figure for not much more money than the blend I can get a more complete solution that will allow me to add in filtered P-pickup to the wide open MM:

https://www.rautiaguitars.net/uploads/1/0/1/7/10174351/nfp_double_manual.pdf

14 hours ago, itu said:

put a Noll Mixpot to Modulus Graphite Quantum. The bass has bartolini NTMB tone module (B & T) and the Mixpot was a good addition to the system. I had tried Vol + Vol, and Vol + Blend, but was not satisfied with the results. Mixpot is nice but it requires some accurate soldering in tiny places. Take your time with it.

I've done some SMD - troubleshooting microscopic solder joints is no fun! It's been a relief lately to put a big chisel tip on my soldering iron and solder things without magnification.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bloke_zero said:

That's the direction I've gone in - this guy makes a buffered input and low pass filter per pickup which sounds perfect: https://facebook.com/Lusithand/

He seems like a really nice guy, and he lives near me North London. I figure for not much more money than the blend I can get a more complete solution that will allow me to add in filtered P-pickup to the wide open MM:

https://www.rautiaguitars.net/uploads/1/0/1/7/10174351/nfp_double_manual.pdf

That looks really interesting. It is very much like the East/ACG filter based pre- amp in modular form.

Might have to get some more info.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Might have to get some more info.

He's very approachable over email LusitHand Devices: [email protected]

I'm hoping it'll get here for the weekend so I can install it then. I think the one that would really shine would be the multi-coil version.

28 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

That looks really interesting. It is very much like the East/ACG filter based pre- amp in modular form.

Is that available on it's own? It's also got EQ options. I guess you could always add some of John's EQ modules to the LusitHand filter if you wanted to go fully featured!

https://www.east-uk.com/product/mid-sweep-01/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bloke_zero said:

Is that available on it's own? It's also got EQ options. I guess you could always add some of John's EQ modules to the LusitHand filter if you wanted to go fully featured!

https://www.east-uk.com/product/mid-sweep-01/

The ACG01, which is made by John East to Alan's spec, is the only pre-amp that ACG sold but I don't think Alan has any more. I think John was selling them as well at one point.

I've got 2 ACG's with them in and they are already a bit more "full featured" than the Lusithand version.

There is info on it on the ACG website including how it functions. It is nothing like a conventional 3 band cut/boost and needs a slightly different approach when using it. Once you master it you wonder how you managed without it. 🙂

Adding a conventional module, like the East mid isn't really the way to go. A properly designed filter stack does it all.

• Like 1

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/ACG_EQ01.pdf

Ok, cool - so treble is a high pass filter - makes a lot of sense to me

Now I'm desperate to know what the "other" preset does:

The other internal preset adjuster (small blue box with gold screw) is NOT USER ADJUSTABLE and in no circumstances should it be moved. This will voids your warranty and ACG will be in no way responsible for any consequential damaged caused if the user adjusts this pot.

Filter resonance? Explodes the fabric of space time?

I fitted the LusitHand Devices Dual NFP and it's really nice. I think it does everything I want. It's clear and detailed, simple to use and the sound is right for me. I was worried that 4K would be a bit low for the lowpass, but it feels just right, and engaging the resonance (peak) boost with the filter full open gives a nice bit of crunch. Having the boost on at lower frequencies is a bit variable - good for dialling some specific tones, but can soon get overwhelming when out of the treble range.

You can, as I hoped, dial in some filtered P sound to fill out the MM, the MM also really benefits from the resonance boost with the filter wide open. And the active buffer really adds a lot of clarity to the P-pickup (plus the ability to boost the volume to match the MM). I'm a happy camper! I have some before and after sound clips I'll try and edit together.