Why become a member? ×

Doesn't seem right, somehow......

Bilbo

Back in the 1970's National Lampoon did a spoof ad voiced by "Bob Dylan" for a compilation album called Golden Protest.

At the time it was thought to be funny because it was entirely unthinkable that the spirit of the 60's counter-culture would ever be monetised.

Spoof Dylan = Christopher Guest (Spinal Tap, etc)
Voice at the end of the ad = Dan Aykroyd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Bob or no Bob, no-one on the Planet has ever deserved amounts like this, whatever they do or did, in my view. Just sayin'; it changes nowt, I know. -_-

Oh dear

Did you have a quick rub down today with The Morning Star  ?

• Haha 2

Yes, it does seem kind of wrong.... but I'm pretty sure that's just an irrational reaction.

I guess I don't think anyone is worth that amount of money.

But in Bob's favour he has earned that solely through personal talent, rather than leveraging wealth to begat more wealth , or wealth extraction.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pete.young said:

I'd like to think that he'll slip Nic Jones a few quid to make up for the shameless appropriation of Canadee-i-o, but I'm not holding my breath.

I love that song (well, Penguin Eggs in its entirety really). Excuse my ignorance but what’s the story with Bob, did he lift Nic’s arrangement?

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

In all fairness, not many people can claim to have inspired one of the characters on The Magic Roundabout.

Ah, don’t forget the jazz piccolo genius Zebedee McManus. A great player rumoured to have legendary equipment in his trousers, very few people realised it was, in fact, a big ol’ spring.

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Ah, don’t forget the jazz piccolo genius Zebedee McManus. A great player rumoured to have legendary equipment in his trousers, very few people realised it was, in fact, a big ol’ spring.

From what I understand, his favourite food was escargots.

While I understand the sentiment that no individual "should" have that kind of money, facts are someone has seen fit to pay it, so they expect to generate more than that amount off the back catalogue. Why not let Bob take his slice now? At least he created it. If he didn't take this slice now what would he get later? Same with footballers, they earn stupid money but if they didn't take it you can guarantee someone further up the corporate ladder would, so why not let them have it. 

We can only just hope that those with great wealth use it responsibly to benefit society.

• Like 3

On 07/12/2020 at 14:54, Bilbo said:

Bearing in mind that he was called out and accused of being a 'Judas' for picking up an electric guitar in 1966, it seems wrong somehow that Bob Dylan has just sold the rights to his back catalogue for $300,000,000. I am not blaming him for doing it; why wouldn't you? but it seems like the ethos of the folk/hippy era has been sullied again in some way. Idealism takes another knock, I guess. A luxury of the young.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/bob-dylans-entire-back-catalogue-bought-in-nine-figure-deal/ar-BB1bHKPG?ocid=ientp

Surely it depends on how he uses the money.

Does he wait 10-20 years until he is dead and let some faceless board of trustees decide who profits, or get the money now?

I can't help thinking that in his position and attitude he doesn't need any of it to sustain his lifestyle, and being American I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he uses a lot of it for philanthropy, and he probably thinks he'd rather crystallise the asset now so he can have more of a role in deciding how it gets used.

• Like 2

On 07/12/2020 at 17:34, Dad3353 said:

Bob or no Bob, no-one on the Planet has ever deserved amounts like this, whatever they do or did, in my view. Just sayin'; it changes nowt, I know. -_-

If he doesn't take the money, then the likes of Spotify and Apple Music get to keep it and better placed to exploit less successful artists who just want to make a living...