Why become a member? ×

Ordering a Lakland Bass

Old Man Riva

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere (and I’m sure I’ve read comments in other threads but can’t find them - feel free to direct me!) but has anyone had experience of custom ordering a Lakland?

I’ve got a wonderful US JO bass that I love and am having a think about ordering a Lakland of my choosing directly from them.

In terms of custom ordering via their website they reference the USA Series and the Classic Series. If I’m reading it correctly they’re essentially the same basses but with the more expensive USA Series they offer more custom options (1.625 width neck, blocks and binding etc.)?

I found it odd (though it may be that I’ve missed something) that the base models were so different in price, insomuch as that something as straightforward as a P Bass but with a Jazz neck ordered from the Classic Series range would give me the same bass as I’d get via the USA Series but at a much cheaper price? 

If anyone has had experience, how did you find it - ease of ordering, were you happy with the results, how long did it take, any things to look out for (customs etc.).

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

@Old Man Riva
It's a pretty easy process, I emailed them directly and one of their sales guys (Brian) came back to me pretty quickly. I've had both a US Custom 44-94, and a US Classic Series 44-64.

As you say, essentially the Classic series came about as US series basses that they could make in batches by reducing any custom options. Classic series also has a reduced model choice too. As far as i'm aware, they typically only offer the Classic series in Sunburst, however sometimes they'll do special deals on custom colours too, which I think they're doing at the moment.

The US Custom series will allow you full custom options, all sorts of things like tuners, pickup placement, chambered bodies, fancy woods etc etc

Remember that postage is about $120-150 extra on the price, plus your VAT cost when it's imported.

My basses were both excellent, I have my 44-94 still, it's fantastic! I sold the 44-64, it was excellent, and sounded lovely, but while it is largely a 60's spec, it is a slightly more modern take, so put the money towards a Moollon. That said, I will get another 44-64 at some point!

Anything else, just send me a PM :)

Si

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sibob said:

@Old Man Riva
It's a pretty easy process, I emailed them directly and one of their sales guys (Brian) came back to me pretty quickly. I've had both a US Custom 44-94, and a US Classic Series 44-64.

As you say, essentially the Classic series came about as US series basses that they could make in batches by reducing any custom options. Classic series also has a reduced model choice too. As far as i'm aware, they typically only offer the Classic series in Sunburst, however sometimes they'll do special deals on custom colours too, which I think they're doing at the moment.

The US Custom series will allow you full custom options, all sorts of things like tuners, pickup placement, chambered bodies, fancy woods etc etc

Remember that postage is about $120-150 extra on the price, plus your VAT cost when it's imported.

My basses were both excellent, I have my 44-94 still, it's fantastic! I sold the 44-64, it was excellent, and sounded lovely, but while it is largely a 60's spec, it is a slightly more modern take, so put the money towards a Moollon. That said, I will get another 44-64 at some point!

Anything else, just send me a PM :)

Si

Thanks Si, really helpful and much appreciated..! 

• Like 1

On 07/12/2020 at 16:20, Sibob said:

I emailed them directly and one of their sales guys (Brian) came back to me pretty quickly.

I sent an email with a query about the Rosewood fretboard on my recent purchase and Brian came back to me with 15mins. Very helpful.

• Like 2

Lakland are very easy and straightforward to deal with if you want to order a bass directly from them. Any of the main guys there , Brian, Steve, Leo or indeed John Pirrucello himself, will be only too glad to help via email . 

More importantly, they are happy to work with you to get your bass just how you want it. For example,  I wanted a lightweight  P Bass with  a very thinly- lacquered early '70's Jazz  Bass neck profile that would have  raunchy sound for rock . They recommended a swamp ash body, EMG Geezer pickup and  maple board.

When the bass arrived six months later , just  as scheduled ,  it sounded outrageous, weighed 8 pounds  and had a beautifully figured birds-eye maple board on top of an accurately profiled neck . 

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

Thanks all (and to PM messages), really appreciated - Basschat community, again, giving sage bass advice!

I emailed Lakland yesterday and within the hour received a really helpful response from Brian (I’ve never been a social media user/member so Facebook etc. hasn’t been an option!).

I’m sure working with them I’ll get what I’m after, though have a feeling I will need to order via the more expensive USA Series option, albeit for only smaller changes to the Classic Series (lighter body weight, darker rosewood fingerboard), which is a bit of a shame (though there are bigger things going on in life so I should shut up and stop complaining!).

Thanks again! 

Edited by Old Man Riva