Why become a member? ×

SHURE SM58

tom1946

As above don't turn on the phantom power but if you have to to provide power for another mic then check your mic lead is wired correctly. If it is the mic should be protected from the phantom power but any mistakes in wiring your leads could cause the voltage to be applied across the mic coil. Also any sort of short even a temporary one can damage your mic so it is best to plug in leads before switching on the power and keep the volume turned down.

• Like 1

Ok, I've used these mic's for years and without phantom power they are useless through a Roland ac 60 acoustic amp. My other sm 58's work  fine with phantom power with no issues. this one works but with a loud buzz.

If I plug in and switch on there is no volume to speak of but when I switch phantom on, which is what Roland tell me that I need to do my other ones work fine.

Baffling that Roland are telling you to use phantom power with a dynamic microphone. How did they tell you this? Over the phone? Via email? I’m thinking something must have gotten lost in translation for them to recommend that.

On the mic/line channel of the ac60 amp, presumably you have the mic/line selector button pressed in - i.e. in mic mode, not line mode? If so then there may well be a problem somewhere if the amp is unable to get any signal out of the most widely used dynamic microphone in the world!

I have an AC-60. The manual says:

4. PHANTOM switch

This turns the phantom power on and off.Set this to “ON” when connecting mics that require phantom power (condenser mic, etc.).Set this to “OFF” when connecting mics that do not require phantom power or other devices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just tried again using a Laney Afresco 30w acoustic amp which has no phantom power switch and I have to turn it until it's almost feeding back and even then there isn't enough volume to be heard beyond about 8 feet.

So why do my other 58's work so well with phantom on and like the above without?? They have done for years.

Yes the mic/line button is in for mic.

28 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I have an AC-60. The manual says:

4. PHANTOM switch

This turns the phantom power on and off.Set this to “ON” when connecting mics that require phantom power (condenser mic, etc.).Set this to “OFF” when connecting mics that do not require phantom power or other devices.

6 minutes ago, tom1946 said:

I've just tried again using a Laney Afresco 30w acoustic amp which has no phantom power switch and I have to turn it until it's almost feeding back and even then there isn't enough volume to be heard beyond about 8 feet.

So why do my other 58's work so well with phantom on and like the above without?? They have done for years.

Yes the mic/line button is in for mic.

Hi Tom, looks like the Phantom power is a bit of a red herring, the problem of describing someone else's fault remotely.  if you read the AC instruction above you can see that as it is a dynamic mic you don't need phantom power. For a working SM58 it doesn't matter if it is on or off but if anything goes wrong whilst the mic is connected the phantom power might just blow the mic. safer to leave it off. 

If you have a working mi plug it in and get it going, then unplug the lead at the mic end and plug the new mic in it's place. If it still doesn't work then you have eliminated any lead which might have come with the new mic. remember we don't know what leads you are using. If this doesn't work and the mic doesn't work in another system then it's the mic.

There are two possibilities in the mic, sometimes a lead has broken inside, there will be two running from the socket at the bottom of the mic up to the capsule the working part of the mic or the capsule itself needs replacing loads listed on eBay but make sure you get a genuine one. If you can't solder then you'll have to get someone else to have a look.

Just a thought this is not a switched version of the SM58, if so suspect the switch too. In fact suspect it first

• Like 2

I concur with the  phantom power/red herring analogy, but can I just add; the OP implies the only way they've been able to get their previous dynamic mics working at a usable volume is with phantom power on.  If I have understood that correctly, it says to me that, even before the arrival of the new SM58, something else somewhere is not working the way it should.  The Roland amp, cables, something isn't right.

• Like 1

Thanks BRX, the riddle is solved!

The link you gave was very informative, my mic is very definately a FAKE.

It weighs 247 grammes against over 300 for a real one.

The writing on the box is fake.

If you unscrew the top it screws on to a plastic thread wheras the real one is metal

There are other things as well. So I think I know where the problem lies and it's going back to crack converters.

Thanks for your help guys, it's appreciated.

Tom.

• Like 3

.......a small tale about my SM58 dealing....Having bought this model online some years ago, I noticed it made a lot more handling noise onstage on the mic stand and did not sound as full than my older Shure mic. I investigated, found the Shure site saying what the weight ‘should’ be and sure enough  the one I had bought was not the same weight, plus the wire coding was slightly different under the pop shield. Luckily I got my money back. However, I then bought a new Shure mic from a bona fide UK dealer and the weight was not what the Shure website stated. I called the UK distributor and they gave info that Shure change things a bit because they are one of, if not the most copied mic by the chinese and regularly get factories in china shut down that make the fakes. One way of dealing with it was to slightly change the properties of the mic in trying to keep a step ahead of the fake game and so, the problem is we are never quite sure of a Shure unless bought from a reputable dealer.

My solution? Buy an AKG D5 instead! Considerably cheaper and way better sounding “out of the box” in my opinion.

There are no doubt many others out there but the AKG is my personal pick. It’s so good that I bought its slightly higher end “stage” condenser cousin, the AKG C7, which is also excellent.

The SM58 is just the mic that everyone buys because everyone sees it used so often...it’s a self-perpetuating popularity. Kind of like the Fender Precision or Jazz of the microphone world. But as we all know, there are dozens of manufacturers out there making Fender style instruments that are at least as good and in many cases better than Fender.

The nice side effect of not buying an SM58 is that the likelihood of ending up with a fake is almost zero as a result.

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 2

@CameronJ you make a sound argument there, the D5 is a bit hotter output isn't it?

Will it work better without fantom? By the way all my equipment is in 1st class working order. I'm very careful with my stuff.

Would a condenser mic be better for acoustic amp? I don't know much about the subject. I do have a Sennheiser 845 too but I can't hear a lot of difference so I tend not to use it much.

Thanks for your help.

I’d say the D5 is certainly “clearer” by default. It’s a dynamic mic so won’t require phantom power, and in most cases I’d recommend sticking with dynamic mics for use in your amp.

The Sennheiser 845 is a good mic (again, dynamic) so I’d say you’ve got your bases covered with that. No need to get a new mic unless you actually need more of them. What’s the volume level like with the 845 through your amp?

On 07/12/2020 at 20:45, CameronJ said:

The SM58 is just the mic that everyone buys because everyone sees it used so often...it’s a self-perpetuating popularity. Kind of like the Fender Precision or Jazz of the microphone world. But as we all know, there are dozens of manufacturers out there making Fender style instruments that are at least as good and in many cases better than Fender.

The character it gives vocals means many professional vocalists and producers prefer it over much more expensive mikes. At less than £100 they are priced more like a Squier of microphones than a Fender USA...

The SM58 is competent or even good in most other roles if not exceptional, and tough, reliable and repairable, so it's a good choice as a general purpose mike that you can swap in and out without worry. That said, I won't argue that there are other mikes that are better for specific roles, like miking up acoustic instruments.

I've got about 8 AKG D5 in my mic stock, they're belters for the price. 

However, regarding this whole phantom power issue - I can categorically tell you that no matter what someone at Roland may have told you, an SM58, or any other dynamic mic, does not require phantom power and engaging it will make literally zero difference to the sound your mic makes. 

Phantom power is for dynamic mics and active DI boxes that actually require that DC voltage to function. Applying it to mics that don't need it shouldn't damage them, but also shouldn't alter their performance in any way, with the exception of some old school ribbon mics, which will be toasted by it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2020 at 17:30, Stub Mandrel said:

The character it gives vocals means many professional vocalists and producers prefer it over much more expensive mikes. At less than £100 they are priced more like a Squier of microphones than a Fender USA...

The SM58 is competent or even good in most other roles if not exceptional, and tough, reliable and repairable, so it's a good choice as a general purpose mike that you can swap in and out without worry. That said, I won't argue that there are other mikes that are better for specific roles, like miking up acoustic instruments.

I'd consider them to be the P-bass of the mic world...not always the best tool for the job but you can get something pretty usable for every occasion our of one, take a beating and you can get one pretty much anywhere!

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1

I wonder if engaging phantom power is also adding more preamp gain? Not that it would be default, but you could certainly make an amp behave that way if you wanted. 

I've had a quick look at the manual and the phantom switch is right next to the mic/line switch. Is this the source of some confusion? 

Edited by Jack

8 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

I'd consider them to be the P-bass of the mic world...not always the best tool for the job but you can get something pretty usable for every occasion our of one, take a beating and you can get one pretty much anywhere!

For sure: after the apocalypse, only cockroaches and SM58s will survive 😀

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...