Why become a member? ×

Finished! A Very Special Save

Andyjr1515

And the chambers are copper-foiled.  I have to join the panels with a teeny wipe of solder ('conductive glue' isn't to be trusted) and then check the earth continuity.

The bridge earth will be soldered inside the cutaway to the small patch of copper that will make great electrical contact with the bridge while maintaining a good, firm contact between the bridge and body.  The apparently random tabs are positioned so that at least one is going to be firmly against the conductive layer on the bottom of the scratch plate assembly. 

U1TWgpl.jpg

I'm hoping that the black UNF hardware (custom order because of the sizes and thread, hence the leadtime) will be with me by the end of this week because I don't think it is that long now before it's time to start getting some strings on, trying it out and setting it up!  :)

• Like 5

Starting to get ready for the assembly of the body components and electrics.

I soldered the bridge earth wire so I didn't forget it and then turned my attention to the jack plate.

First is the scarily large hole you have to bore to fit a standard-sized jack (the Wal is pre-wired with a connector and earth but it's still a standard switchcraft stereo jack):

UINq8Ibl.jpg

Then marked and drilled the screw fixing holes:

jM0gbiXl.jpg

Note the round nut.  It isn't a rounded nut...it's a round nut with spanner flats machined - an 'everything is a going to be a bit different to the norm' step too far, perhaps? ;)

And this, of course, is how you would get your $8000 Les Paul Custom.  But far, far too safe for Andyjr1515.  So he's going to hit it with a chisel.  'Take that, you lump of wood!'  xD    :

p9Tndgil.jpg

And then abuse it more with another couple of chisels:

cLpS1UPl.jpg

Still got to sand, stain and tru-oil the edges, but that's going to be better...

13Xkme3l.jpg

Over the weekend, the plan is to get the scratchplate on and see if the 30+ year-old circuit still works :)

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Starting to get ready for the assembly of the body components and electrics.

I soldered the bridge earth wire so I didn't forget it and then turned my attention to the jack plate.

First is the scarily large hole you have to bore to fit a standard-sized jack (the Wal is pre-wired with a connector and earth but it's still a standard switchcraft stereo jack):

UINq8Ibl.jpg

Then marked and drilled the screw fixing holes:

jM0gbiXl.jpg

Note the round nut.  It isn't a rounded nut...it's a round nut with spanner flats machined - an 'everything is a going to be a bit different to the norm' step too far, perhaps? ;)

And this, of course, is how you would get your $8000 Les Paul Custom.  But far, far too safe for Andyjr1515.  So he's going to hit it with a chisel.  'Take that, you lump of wood!'  xD    :

p9Tndgil.jpg

And then abuse it more with another couple of chisels:

cLpS1UPl.jpg

Still got to sand, stain and tru-oil the edges, but that's going to be better...

13Xkme3l.jpg

Over the weekend, the plan is to get the scratchplate on and see if the 30+ year-old circuit still works :)

BTW,  I have a hand sketched circuit diagram for the Wal preamp somewhere if you run into trouble. 

• Thanks 1

Given my capability with electronics, I think the reality is, in the unlikely event that it doesn't work, that it would need to be sent to someone who knows what they are doing.  I know I don't really know what I'm doing with the building stuff...but I REALLY don't know what I'm doing with electronics xD

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

A quick call to @Rich ; @MoonBassAlpha or anyone else wot knows.

I'm just about to do a 'tap' test of the pickup now that everything is grounded, etc..

The circuit board has two outputs to the jack connector:

K9XakDol.jpg

I'm assuming that they are both the same and I can choose either one?

What you're looking there is this part of the circuit diagram:

PSX_20210220_110401.thumb.jpg.acfff93e52b6bef66cebb5aa7b765b00.jpg

I think you want the right hand half as shown in your pic but I couldn't say for definite without taking my Pro 2E to bits and, errm, no :lol: You cant do any damage by plugging into the wrong bit, you just won't hear anything :) I'm assuming it doesnt have the hens-teeth optional DI kit fitted? I'll be very jealous if it does. I dream of getting my hands on one.

Edited by Rich
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Does this help?? Found on Wal pro 1 e neck rebuild – Unicornbass

wal wiring.jpg

Yes!

I did the continuity check as suggested by @Hellzero , I took the 'you can't do any damage' approach as muted by @Rich , plugged it in and tested it and then saw @Jabba_the_gut 's photo link and that is exactly where I'd plugged it :)

Great team work :D

And we have taps, folks :party:

So I can now fully assemble the body and then just have to wait for the neck bolts to start the set-up process :)

Many thanks, folks, much appreciated ;)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Si600 said:

Lick it and see which end tingles?

When I was but a lad, we used to lick the terminals of batteries for the magic of being able to 'taste' the electricity.  The 9v cells were always the best because they gave the best tingle.  So - the 11 year-old Andyjr1515 thought - the 12v Scalextric track runs should taste even better.

Let's just say that sherbert didn't taste the same for about 5 years... 9_9

• Haha 10

32 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Yes!

I did the continuity check as suggested by @Hellzero , I took the 'you can't do any damage' approach as muted by @Rich , plugged it in and tested it and then saw @Jabba_the_gut 's photo link and that is exactly where I'd plugged it :)

Great team work :D

And we have taps, folks :party:

So I can now fully assemble the body and then just have to wait for the neck bolts to start the set-up process :)

Many thanks, folks, much appreciated ;)

What's the other side that doesn't have a plug on it?

Apropos whizzing on the electric fence, Mythbusters, IIRC, did just that. Apparently the stream separates into droplets long before it gets to the fence. 

• Like 1