Why become a member? ×

My amp sounds terrible (Peavey Vypyr VIP2)

carl0s

Thanks Paul & John. Yes it does have a big hole in the back :) I didn't realise bass cabs were usually closed, but I know now!

Any recommendations for an affordable, maybe not too large, combo / active PA speaker that could maybe also be useful with synth/keys/b3-clone in future? and cope well with a low B on the bass ?

This Peavey has a 12" speaker BTW.. a lot of the active stuff I've just glanced at seems to have smaller woofers than that.. if it matters.

Bass cabs are usually ported, but the ports have ducts that tune the speaker response for the low frequencies of bass. The size of the speaker has very little to do with the result, the size of the box it's enclosed in does. As for coping with a low B at anything above bedroom practice levels, you won't find anything either small or on the cheap. Even powered PA cabs loaded with fifteens aren't made to go that low, being intended to be used with subs for the lower octave or two.

• Like 3

It's just occurred to me (been practicing with the amp again) that some of the rattle and buzz could be coming from my desk area and all the crap I have on here, computers, boxes, paper, etc. Girlfriend just said the window in the room below was rattling, so perhaps I don't need a new amp after all just yet.

I am only practicing at home. I was looking at some of the full range powered PA things at around £250 to use with my Zoom b1-on, but I might just leave it for now. I am being quizzed over what I would like as a Christmas present though and it would have put an end to that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/12/2020 at 19:26, BassmanPaul said:

Your amp is a guitar amp and cannot handle bass frequencies. The big 'ole in the back is not a tuned port so it's similar to an open back cabinet - OK for guitar, useless for bass. IOW the wrong tool for the job. 

This.

I have the Peavey Vypyr VIP 3, which is designed for guitar and bass, and is surprisingly loud enough to gig with a bass.

I just plugged in again to do some playing along to Bob Marley.

It sounds like it has some obscure fault that fades after a while.

I've made another recording.

I was going to show the difference when switching to the Trace Elliot 'amp' near the end, but didn't bother because by the end of the recording, it seemed to have stopped doing the buzzing. It's like something has warmed up and stops sounding so crap.

It's not just the bottom B.

Have a listen: https://internetsomething.com/vypyr/vypyr2-bass-again.wav

Edited by carl0s

18 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

This.

I have the Peavey Vypyr VIP 3, which is designed for guitar and bass, and is surprisingly loud enough to gig with a bass.

Yours and mine are both 'designed for guitar and bass'. Yours is just more watts. They both have the same speaker too, and the same cabinet I think (spec sheet says 'Acoustically ported semi-closed back')

2 minutes ago, carl0s said:

Yours and mine are both 'designed for guitar and bass'. Yours is just more watts. They both have the same speaker too, and the same cabinet I think (spec sheet says 'Acoustically ported semi-closed back')

Apologies. I was under the incorrect impression the VIP 3 was the only multi instrument amp. 

Having listened to your recording, not sure what to advise, as even when I put the bass through guitar amps, I don't get anything similar 😕

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2021 at 16:25, 51m0n said:

An unhelpful and facetious git would say "It's a Peavey,cwhat else would you expect from it?".

Sorry, I'll get me coat....

:)

Once I have recovered from the cost of 'smart heating controls' and all the bloody zigbee TRVs and repeaters, I'll buy another amp :)

• Like 1