Why become a member? ×

Tarnished frets - polished them with a polish and they have gone from a kind of slight brass colour to a silvery colour should I be worried?

shoulderpet

As per the thread title I have some tarnished frets on a bass, the frets are naturally a kind of slight brass colour (they have a very slight yellowish brass hue to them) , have polished one of the frets with some silver polish (just the one to test it) and the fret I have polished has gone from a slight brass colour to a silvery colour , should I be worried?  I am guessing not since during a fret dressing abrasive material would also be used ?

No - you won't harm frets with polish although, depending on the polish, it might not get down to the metal and just react with the surface.

Is the 'silvery colour' shiny?  If so, the frets may be Evo Gold. They dull down to a brassy gold colour but freshly dressed are actually much more silvery.  What's the bass?

Best polish for frets is probably Autosol, but you must mask the fretboard when you use it because it's a bit of a messy white paste that is an absolute devil to get out of fretboard grain.

• Like 1

Fretboard.thumb.jpg.d3e7c256c0ff6d63b5261f2c07e64f42.jpg

Silver polish cloth will be fine...

Autosolve... Mask the fret board , a smear on the frets, allow a little time to darken / blacken - by the time you have done the last the first will be ready to polish off.

I use a little white mop on a dremmel, lowish speed, couple of passes back n forth across the width of the neck / length of the fret, not pressing down to hard...

Then a quick wipe with cloth, remove the tape, n clean the fretboard, lemon oil for wood, polish for laquered mapel.

Edited by PaulThePlug

the slight brassy colour is usually just a mixture of tarnish and general grime and is quite common, there are brass frets available and the Evo Gold but the frets on your Ibanez will just be regular nickel silver i'd expect, so when clean they should be a nice shiny silver colour.

Matt

Thanks for the replies I have used some T-Cut today and that seems to have done the trick, one more question, bit of buzz on the lower frets(frets 1-3), not bad but enough that I wouldn't want to lower the action lower than it is at the moment, loosen the truss rod slightly?