Why become a member? ×

Bass + Rhthm fx

kolossusuk

Hello all. I play in a 3 piece, as indeed many of us do..  when the guitarist branches out into a solo, I usually activate a touch of distortion to fill out the sound for the duration.  Not perfect but it helps.  My question is whether there's an fx out there that can better emulate a cleaner second power chording guitar while playing bass as opposed to dialling in distortion?  P

I use an always on 1 octave up effect from my TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini for a bass/vocals and drums duo I got with a drummer friend of mine, the Sub'N'Up in my opinion got the most natural sounding octave up effect on the entire market of octavers (though pitching up a whole octave will always sound somewhat artificial), using the default polyphonic octaver Toneprint template, though to get it perfect you will need to play with the EQ option the Toneprint editor offers you, also got as good as perfect tracking and a pretty insignificant latency.

This will give an effect similar to that of an 8 string bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings and fill out a lot of sonic space. 

If you decide to go for my recommendation just PM me and I will mail you the settings I use, which I personal think sounds remarkably natural without any obvious odd digital artifacts (will still sound artificial isolated, but as said that is inevitable with this kind of effect, and mixed with your regular uneffected bass signal, and especially in the band mix,  you won't hear that at all). 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

This sounds fascinating  - the sub n up I mean.

Currently I use ME50b octave with distortion and chorus. Just too muddy for me. Go via Ashdown abm 500 rc evo 3 and genz Benz cabs (4x10 and / or 2x12). Great wall of sound but sometimes a little subtlety is needed!!