Why become a member? ×

Convince me that I don't need a Ric

Studio GC

14 hours ago, Skybone said:

Now that's pretty cool, though I would expect that the less than PC punters would use it to question the bass player's sexuality.

However, I doubt that any of the 30 will ever be played in public.

If I’d bought one it would’ve been. 

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have to say i like the purple one. 

Where did they get that description from tho. Candy Apple Purple ????

Dave

I would assume from Candy Apple car paint. IIRC CA paint of any colour consists of  a metallic bass coat and a coloured translucent top coat, although I think occasionally more stages are used. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I would assume from Candy Apple car paint. IIRC CA paint of any colour consists of  a metallic bass coat and a coloured translucent top coat, although I think occasionally more stages are used. 

I always thought it was Candy Apple Red because it looked like a red candy apple finish but its as you say a metallic basecoat with a translucent color coat and then a final gloss coat for more shine. 

Once again every day a school day at Basschat. Isn't it great to be learning every day even at my age.

Dave

23 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I always thought it was Candy Apple Red because it looked like a red candy apple finish but its as you say a metallic basecoat with a translucent color coat and then a final gloss coat for more shine. 

Once again every day a school day at Basschat. Isn't it great to be learning every day even at my age.

Dave

Well from the age of about 12 I was a bit of a fan of US custom cars, which often had CA paint, which is why I knew.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

In the custom world, a tinted lacquer applied over a metallic (usually a coarse gold or silver) basecoat is just 'candy' paint, the 'apple red' or 'apple green' is the colour. 

A similar process is used on lots of modern production cars but it's known as 'three stage pearl', and isn't usually as extreme as a candy finish. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Maude said:

In the custom world, a tinted lacquer applied over a metallic (usually a coarse gold or silver) basecoat is just 'candy' paint, the 'apple red' or 'apple green' is the colour. 

A similar process is used on lots of modern production cars but it's known as 'three stage pearl', and isn't usually as extreme as a candy finish. 

That makes more sense calling it Candy paint. Candy Apple i automatically think red.

Dave