Jump to content
Studio GC

Convince me that I don't need a Ric

Recommended Posts

OK, I'm here in the States taking care of dear old mum who's on her last legs and since I'm here for an extended period of time, I need to keep my head clear.....and keep my chops up as I'm hoping our 60's tribute band will be back in action for 2021.

I've been playing a Bass Centre Betsy jazz bass which as been a good bass. Not aw inspiring, but a really good bass for the price and seems to fit in to our band well. 

BUT, wouldn't a Ric be fantastic for a 60's band? (carnabyarmy.com). I've tried a few different basses with the band (ok LOTS)....my preference being a P bass, but the complaint is that (no matter which P I use the lead singer complains about the frequency and that he can't sing over it......whatever dude....so I've been going for more clarity. Maybe a Ric will do that?

I can get a new Ric 40003s jet glo here for £1200....and use a bag fowarding company to ship it back to the UK so I don't have the hassles of checking the bag.

What you all think? Get that Ric for the 60's band?

 

Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 9.07.34 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should fit right in. Bear in mind that you'll get stung for duty and VAT when it gets to Dear Old BlightyTM though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't give any help on the suitability of a Ric for your band except to say they can be a bit marmite, personally I love the looks and the sound but the ergonomics are just totally wrong for me.

my main concern would be that when bringing it back into the UK you most likely need to pay the VAT and the import fees, also I believe that the fretboard is rosewood so you might need CITES certificates too (this might not be valid anymore but would be worth checking) 

 

Matt

Edit - Rich has managed to type faster than me with the same points!

Edited by Matt P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rich said:

It should fit right in. Bear in mind that you'll get stung for duty and VAT when it gets to Dear Old BlightyTM though.

I was going to try sending it through sendmybag.com that forwards unaccompanied luggage. You can fill out a customs form yourself....which may be handy....This new 40003s is £1200 ($1600) which is hugely lower than anything you can find in the UK.....which makes the purchase a no brainer me thinks.

 

I could probably even buy a flight case and be cheaper and just check the bass when I fly.

Edited by Studio GC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three points here need attention. 

Firstly, best wishes to you and your mum, I hope you get to have some quality time with her. 

Secondly, yes of course you should get a Rick. 

Thirdly, what does your singer mean that he can't sing over a P bass? 

🙂

 

Edited by Maude
Spelling.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would advise that you try a few out before buying one. A lot of people really like the look of the 4001/4003, but just can't get on with the ergonomics of them, as they are so different from any F, or F inspired basses you may have played & loved in the past.

The "trick" is to adjust your style slightly. Most people will remove the bridge pickup cover. The bridge pickup bezel's are also well regarded by a lot of players, as are the No Mod thumb rests.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have thought that it would have the case included- might be worth checking that with the shop.

I love my 4003, but do try one before you by. They aren't quite the usual ride, not that I have any issue with that personally!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Maude said:

Three points here need attention. 

Firstly, best wishes to you and your mum, I hope you get to have some quality time with her. 

Secondly, yes of course you should get a Rick. 

Thirdly, what does your singer mean that he can't sing over a P bass? 

🙂

 

Only he knows the answer to that! But, I do admit, listening to past shows we've done, the P bass lacks some clarity and the jazz soundsa bit better.

Edited by Rich
Quote and comment separated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Skybone said:

I would advise that you try a few out before buying one. A lot of people really like the look of the 4001/4003, but just can't get on with the ergonomics of them, as they are so different from any F, or F inspired basses you may have played & loved in the past.

The "trick" is to adjust your style slightly. Most people will remove the bridge pickup cover. The bridge pickup bezel's are also well regarded by a lot of players, as are the No Mod thumb rests.

 

I did have an original USA Ric (briefly) I imported 4 years ago, but I was a bit low on cash....and worried about having a Ric out on pub gigs etc. Luckily I have little more financial cushion and we've graduated to theatre shows and larger venues, so the Ric should fit in better and I won't worry so much about it.

I had a Ric copy (with real Ric pick ups and controls) I used last year, so I know the shape and general feel will be ok with me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I'd have thought that it would have the case included- might be worth checking that with the shop.

I love my 4003, but do try one before you by. They aren't quite the usual ride, not that I have any issue with that personally!

Yep, has a Ric case (it's a new instrument), but I would worry checking the bass with the case provided. I would feel better with a flight case. Also, we do stack our equipment for travel and sometimes my bass gets stuck on the bottom of the pile in the van.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Studio GC said:

Only he knows the answer to that! But, I do admit, listening to past shows we've done, the P bass lacks some clarity and the jazz soundsa bit better.

In that case, and this is very generalised as you can change the tone of all bass models, a Rick might work well. 

Going from most bottom end to most top end I'd put their core sound in the order of P, J then Rick. So if a J sounded clearer than the P, then a Rick might well be what you're looking for. 

But as I hinted at above, depending on strings and EQ any bass can sound different. Stick flats on a J or Rick and use the neck pickup and it'll sound deeper than a P played with rounds and a plectrum. 

In all honesty a good old P should cut through most bands if EQ'd right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Skybone said:

I would advise that you try a few out before buying one. A lot of people really like the look of the 4001/4003, but just can't get on with the ergonomics of them, as they are so different from any F, or F inspired basses you may have played & loved in the past.

The "trick" is to adjust your style slightly. Most people will remove the bridge pickup cover. The bridge pickup bezel's are also well regarded by a lot of players, as are the No Mod thumb rests.

 

Here's the Ric copy when we played some theatres last year (pre COVID)....blasphemy I know to play a chickenbacker, but it really was a great bass and it lead to me trying the Ric shape and eventually lead to me getting the real deal. (I just pulled the trigger on the jetglo 4003s)

Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 10.00.31 AM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Studio GC said:

Here's the Ric copy when we played some theatres last year (pre COVID)....blasphemy I know to play a chickenbacker, but it really was a great bass and it lead to me trying the Ric shape and eventually lead to me getting the real deal. (I just pulled the trigger on the jetglo 4003s) 

Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 10.00.31 AM.png

Well that didn't take long. 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Maude said:

Well that didn't take long. 😁

It was the last one in stock, needed to act fast at that price.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, do it. They have a great and unique sound I think and I love them. I have a lovely Fireglo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Studio GC said:

my preference being a P bass, but the complaint is that (no matter which P I use the lead singer complains about the frequency and that he can't sing over it

Me and him would be having words. I would suggest that whatever he thinks, it's probably not the actual bass that is the cause of his woes. Amp/speakers/PA/fold back/venue or a combination of the above. Tell him to get some IEM's and wind his neck in.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Looked you up on YT:

I'm impressed! :sun_bespectacled:

Thanks man! It's that chickenbacker bass I had in this clip that made me want to go to a real Ric. The Chinese one had a REALLY thick neck and weighed in at 6.5 kilos! A deal killer for 2 sets.

Please come check us out if we're near you in 2021!

Edited by Studio GC
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved mine, I really did.  It was pretty much clank right out of the case.

If you want some convincing as to why you don't need one, I'd only cite that I gigged it twice and I was lucky enough to stop someone nicking it on both occassions.  They are too high-profile.  Interestingly, I now play a five string that cost me nearly six times as much as the 4003 in the photo below and nobody so much as bats an eyelid as they don't know what it is.

image.png.d228caa5dd96051cb23e56fa98ace806.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Studio GC said:

Thanks man! It's that chickenbacker bass I had in this clip that made me want to go to a real Ric. The Chinese one had a REALLY thick neck and weighed in at 6.5 kilos! A deal killer for 2 sets.

Please come check us out if we're near you in 2021!

The sound from that seems to sit perfectly so I'm guessing the new one will do the same (plus you have the vintage switch option too). If your singer doesn't like that one, [email protected] him on the head with it.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Studio GC said:

Thanks man! It's that chickenbacker bass I had in this clip that made me want to go to a real Ric. The Chinese one had a REALLY thick neck and weighed in at 6.5 kilos! A deal killer for 2 sets.

Please come check us out if we're near you in 2021!

One of the few times I’ve heard a Stones cover where the instruments actually sound right, massive kudos!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Studio GC said:

Here's the Ric copy when we played some theatres last year (pre COVID)....blasphemy I know to play a chickenbacker, but it really was a great bass and it lead to me trying the Ric shape and eventually lead to me getting the real deal. (I just pulled the trigger on the jetglo 4003s)

Absolutely nothing wrong with a Faker, I've got a couple of Rockinbetter basses.

Got the first one after I had to sell my old 4003 because I needed the money. Bought a Jazz bass, had one previously, liked it, so got another. Hated it. Sold it on, searched t'interweb for a Rockinbetter, bought one. Great basses (but not light - though neither is a pukka 4003 to be fair).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...