Why become a member? ×

Dark Night colour scheme - Fender American Precision II

MacDaddy

39 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

I've never been a fan of these "reverse burst" finishes. Fender did this before in the mid 90s, with Midnight Blue Reverse Burst and Black Pearl Burst.

I do agree it looks better with a maple board: https://reverb.com/au/item/3749156-fender-jazz-bass-plus-deluxe-1992-blue 

ne57ghox7gew9695roci.jpg

I like that. Darker neck for me though.

7 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

I really like the new Dark Night colour scheme Fender are doing, although I would prefer all black hardware, and a matching headstock.

Fender American Pro II Precision Bass RW, Dark Night - front

I think it’s a cracking colour too. Also in agreement re: hardware and headstock. An ebony board would have looked great too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Is this just a special colour for a short period of time or testing the waters for more of these to come out? Was debating the value of buying new for collectors with a mate who's dad collects guitars. 

No, it is one of the official 7 finishes for the new P and one of the 8 colours for the new J. So, it will be offered at least until the next series in 2/3 years, maybe called "Pro III" (Fender could it then call the Pro Trilogy) or, after Pro, Performer, and Player, a new series called "Prestige" or "Progress" or "Perfection" or "Punch" or "Pure" or "Payday"..... 😁

I really want to see one in person to see if it's as nice as the pics. A mate saw one and he wasn't overly impressed, but Wunjo have a vid of a strat on their FB feed and it does look nice.....

https://fb.watch/2gtzH3-Rx5/

Not sure if it's £1700 nice though. I wonder how close a luthier/spray shop could get it if you bought a 2nd hand P/J and asked them to respray it? 

I have never been a big fan of basses and guitars with a blue finish, always though it looked kind a tacky and smarmy, but man I absolutely love that Midnight Blue finish.

Absolutely gorgeous, might even prefer it to my otherwise number one favorite finish: matte black. 

I hope other companies will copy the Midnight Blue finish, cause the only Fenders I could imagine I'd ever might actually buy and own would be a Telecaster guitar, and that exact design might actually be one of the few I'd imagine that Midnight Blue wouldn't suit too well, and beside I'd love to own a bass in that finish, and that is definitely never going to happen with a Fender.

And yes, definitely with black hardware and a very dark fingerboard. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash