Why become a member? ×

Santa wants to buy me a pedal...

Smirfy

So the local branch of Santa's distribution network have suggested, in the face of my general ' bah humbugness' this year that I could be cheered up with the offer of something bass related for the big day ( either that or they want to get me something that will keep me occupied and out of the way!!) I have lost many hours to YouTube looking at drive and distortion pedals, to the point that I am now going round in circles. Ideally I want a drive pedal that can get from some very slight hair up to JJ Burnell/ Stranglers type tone- also think ' Live In Leeds' tone. A big thing for me is it must have a blend knob. Some of the video reviews of the Darkglass Alpha Omega ( or was it Vintage Ultra..I'm getting confused now) sounded like they may get me closeish. What do the Basschatters think?

I use the Tech21 Para Driver for this - the bonus of the Para Driver is that it has sweepable mids so you can choose the frequency to boost to get that JJ growl. It can be set so that the drive is only there when you dig in, or back off on playing intensity and up the drive to be always on/present.

25 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Tech21 VTDI - the Leeds is very hard to find, doesn't have a blend, and the VT sounds very similar anyway! For those specific examples you gave, I don't think you could do any better.

Good to know. I'll down tools on a Leeds quest then, and be content with the VTDI on my board!