Why become a member? ×

So I've started looking round to purchase a Source Audio EQ2...

TrevorG

26 minutes ago, TrevorG said:

and the first thing I noticed was Thomann, who do the best price, don't seem to be advertising U.K. prices. Is this Brexit landing? Will there be different import duty? Has anyone tried recently? Can I get a sub £200 price over here?

There you go: https://www.thomann.de/gb/source_audio_sa_270_one_series_eq2.htm

On 03/12/2020 at 20:39, TrevorG said:

Thanks. My search engine couldn't find this an hour and a half ago. Do you think there'll be any duty to pay?

No extras to pay from Thomann’s, at least not at the moment. You wont find it much cheaper over here, although most place seem a few £ cheaper than Thomann’s.

I almost got one of these last month. I just couldn’t press ‘buy’ for some reason. Probably the cost.

Have you considered the Boss EQ-200? £100 cheaper and still stereo. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Another option is buying the Zoom B1 Four or G1 Four, and by staking 5 of the fully parametric equalizer models in a patch you get a 5 band fully parametric equalizer much much cheaper, and since it is just an EQ I wouldn't think there would really be much of a difference quality wise, at least not something you will be able to hear, not even with the bass soloed and specifically focusing on listening for differences.

So if 5 EQ bands is enough for you and you don't need any of the other functions unique to the Source Audio I know what I would get, you could even program several 5 band parametric EQ patches with the Zoom and swap between them if you need different presets. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Another option is buying the Zoom B1 Four or G1 Four, and by staking 5 of the fully parametric equalizer models in a patch you get a 5 band fully parametric equalizer much much cheaper, and since it is just an EQ I wouldn't think there would really be much of a difference quality wise, at least not something you will be able to hear, not even with the bass soloed and specifically focusing on listening for differences.

So if 5 EQ bands is enough for you and you don't need any of the other functions unique to the Source Audio I know what I would get, you could even program several 5 band parametric EQ patches with the Zoom and swap between them if you need different presets. 

How does the quality compare between the SA and Zoom?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for getting back and sorry for the late reply. I was particularly interested in the high pass filter in combination with the EQing. I own a spectrum and am very comfortable with source audio. Truth be told my equipment shouldn’t need extra EQing but I wondered what benefits there were with something as comprehensive as the EQ2. 

On 10/12/2020 at 22:23, dave_bass5 said:

How does the quality compare between the SA and Zoom?

I wouldn't know for certain, since I don't own the SA, but as I wrote in my comment with something as relatively simple as equalization I would not think that the modeling technology used for respectively the Zoom and the SA would really make much of a difference to the end result between the two units, and if that assumption is actually true then it would all be down to the AD/DA converter of the respective units, and with the Zoom unit's AD/DA running at 24bit, 44,1kHz audio resolution I very much doubt you would be able to hear the difference, even if the AD/DA converter of the SA should run at even higher resolution.

Though this is all more or less qualified speculations, but non the less just speculations.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, TrevorG said:

Thanks for getting back and sorry for the late reply. I was particularly interested in the high pass filter in combination with the EQing. I own a spectrum and am very comfortable with source audio. Truth be told my equipment shouldn’t need extra EQing but I wondered what benefits there were with something as comprehensive as the EQ2. 

I can recommend the Q/strip if it offers enough for you needs, Best EQ ive every owned. 

• Like 1