Why become a member? ×

70-80s Kay Cort ?

Reggaebass

I just thought I’d share this little project with you, I bought  what Im pretty sure is a late 70s or early 80s Kay cort (please correct me if I’m wrong here 🙂).  It was in a pretty grimy condition in an old case, but after a closer look I’d say all original , it didn’t work very well, the jack socket had a few spiders in it 😁 , and there was a broken wire on the pickup selector switch, so I set to work cleaning it up , more pics to follow 🙂

0CE89F66-F9B0-48E8-A666-1925EC1EDB19.jpeg

76620BF5-420A-4E59-B2D1-3CFC495DEC72.jpeg

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Thats a relief. I was worried those union flag stickers were hiding damage, possible tug bar mounting holes. Nice work.

Thanks bassfinger, I didn’t think of that, fortunately there wasn’t any damage, I think it had just been stored away for a long while, I’m guessing many years , it smelt like my 93 year old aunt Hilda’s fur coat 😁

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

The only thing missing is the truss rod cover, does anyone know where I could get one ?

Have a measure up for a bit of brass from the bay...

or https://www.metaloffcuts.co.uk/product/natural-brass-sheet/  listing suitable size off cuts 100m x 100m  1.5, 2mm thick...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

Great job @Reggaebass

I had one of those basses years ago and I really liked it a lot.. Very comfortable to play and had a good sound too. 

Hope you're enjoying it 😊

Thanks nik 👍, I bought it for a bit of fun really but it plays so nice, the pickups are quite powerful and I like the tone from the P .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

I think the one I had cost me eighty quid on Fleabay.. It was a great sounding bass for the money! 

File under 'Cool basses I should never have sold! 🙄🤦😁

My one didn’t cost much more than you paid, and only needed a good clean and a few minor repairs, I enjoyed doing it 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dov65 said:

That was my first bass Tony, bought 81-82 from Kays catalogue & paid up every fortnight...good to see one again 👍

Thanks for that dave, it’s helped me date it, that must have been a really nice first bass, they play so good, this was my first bass , I paid about £30 for it in 1977, it now hangs on my summerhouse wall 🙂

32D80637-591A-44ED-BC18-A490881331DE.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

A little update, I tried everywhere to get the truss rod cover with no luck, so as someone suggested I bought a 100mm square piece of brass for £5 and cut one out to shape  just to cover the hole, I’ve just got to get some small brass screws next time I’m at the workshop 

C872D9DD-7079-41D4-B013-A57C12743B72.jpeg

• Like 3