Why become a member? ×

Help choosing Head / Cab

Guest BassAdder27

I’m hoping to get some guidance and suggestions to choosing early next year a suitable bass head and cab for plans to go gigging small to medium pub / club kind of venues.

Band / music will be rock covers so I need to be heard but I don’t want to go silly in too many large cabs. 

Budget is approx £500 to £700 all in perhaps at least head and single cab adding a second cab later, cheaper even better as happy to use secondhand stuff. In the past I’ve used Ampeg and Ashdown.

Just when I think I’ve found a contender I read reasons to avoid !!

So let me have your suggestions please 

Im based in the U.K. 

Edited by BassAdder27

Well - this will lead to people sharing their faves which is not a bad thing, but may not be right for you.

Now shops are hopefully going to open the possibility of trying stuff out is maybe possible depending where you live.

Once you find a couple you like, create a list,  scour the second hand market and pounce.

If the reviews you have seen are consistently talking about reliability issues, power description undercooked etc. It’s valid to avoid - if it’s about someone not liking the sound as it’s not their taste, then hold it in mind but use your own ears.

Only things you know you want like weight, portability, on board compressor, on board drive channel etc can be determined by you and this will narrow the field.

Ampeg and ashdown are great.

Hartke LH1000 is a great no none sense head.

Peavy Mini Max is also a great head at a great price.

For that budget I would get a no nonsense head that does the job, and spend more on a decent cab to get amazing dispersion and sound quality.

Good luck

• Like 1

Thank you 

I did try about four years ago the Peavey MiniMax 500 head and it was spoilt by the noisy fan, sent it back and got the MBass LM111 which was nice but was sold when I packed up playing.

Looking for a no frills Head as long as it’s got a decent headroom and isn’t noisy 

I can then add externally if I want grind etc 

Is weight of gear an issue? If not then, as you’ve used Ashdown I’d look at one of the ABM heads and a matching 410. For £700 you’d be able to get the ABM600 which is imo easily their best one so far, and the 410 as well. Plenty enough volume for the types of venues mentioned , reliable, hardwearing and if there should be an issue they’re UK based so easy to get it sorted.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2

I would review the BC marketplace, failing that ebay, to see what is available in your area. Once you have found something, have a quick google review. It it is new-ish amp (say launched within the last ten years) there is usually a decent Youtube demo or two to give you an idea of what the amp can do. 

For example, there is a couple of nice Hartke LH1000 and matching 4x10 set ups on ebay at the moment for about £500. That would be a dream rig for somebody, but it would be a nightmare rig for somebody who is looking for a lightweight set up with a really flexible EQ, onboard compression and overdrive and who absolutely hates Hartke aluminium cabs. 

For rock covers, I’d be looking for a used GK MB Fusion. I’ve just sold one, only because I had GAS for a EBS TD650 and I’ve also got a Darkglass M900, so letting the GK go wasn’t a disaster. Two channels, with separate gain and volume controls, 3 12ax7’s in the front end, and light as a feather. Does the sparkly GK sound and also lovely warm grit. 

I rather liked the MiniMax as well until I tried out a Tech21 VT500 which go for a similar price 2nd hand. Coupled to a pair of 8 ohm neo 112s, it gives a lightweight rig with a small footprint but masses of headroom. Can just take one cab to smaller venues for 300 watts at 8 ohms.

3 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Just when I think I’ve found a contender I read reasons to avoid !!

Best to ignore what people say and try stuff for yourself. We're all almost bound to recommend what we have/like and criticise what we don't have/like. The differences between good quality kit are quite small and certainly less than many make them out to be. I'd look for a used 4x10 (or two 2x10s) and an Ashdown (or similar) head if you want to play rock in pubs. For the money you have available, I wouldn't try to go lightweight for the setting you'll be using it in.

13 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Best to ignore what people say and try stuff for yourself. We're all almost bound to recommend what we have/like and criticise what we don't have/like. The differences between good quality kit are quite small and certainly less than many make them out to be. I'd look for a used 4x10 (or two 2x10s) and an Ashdown (or similar) head if you want to play rock in pubs. For the money you have available, I wouldn't try to go lightweight for the setting you'll be using it in.

"I’m hoping to get some guidance and suggestions"

So......

Ashdown boys will be along to give recommendations for the range which will be great pieces of stuff, as I don’t use I can’t say, but you won’t go far wrong.

For my money, trying to keep in budget and you can split amp/cab money as you see fit and available:

Peavey mini Mega

Tech21 VTBass 500

Hartke LH 1000/500

Quilter bass block

Genzler Magellan 800/350

Fender 800/TB600

Tech21 power deuce deluxe

QSC power amp, or any decent power amp to amplify.

Barefaced 210 or supercompact or that big one on sale here.

Hartke HyDrive HX cabs are solid enough

There you go - I take no offence if no suggestions are used, but a good second hand scour should fit you out with the above in your price range.

• Like 1

If it were me and I was young with a strong back - or even old with a strong back - I'd get myself a Trace Elliot rig.  Just like the one I had when I was younger with a strong back, in fact.  I always preferred Trace Elliot to Ashdown, myself.  I like green.

• Like 1

Still finding the choice so difficult.

Just as I think yep that’s a decent amp with good price I find many bad reviews and this seems to be many of the newer class D lightweight amps ?

I’m tempted by the TCE BH550 as for price and spec it sounds a good amp.

My other choice was Ampeg PF500 but so nervous about reviews saying it cut out mid gig !! 

Back in the day the usual Trace Elliot / Ashdown, Ampeg, Peavey etc were trusty brands that delivered decent amps for live gigs. Now they all seem plagued with cutting out issues or over rated power etc etc

Just need a reliable and available Bass Head capable of hanging with a loud rock drummer and Marshall Half Stack 50w valve amp.. medium sized loud gigs without pa support 

Help !! 

28 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Still finding the choice so difficult.

Just as I think yep that’s a decent amp with good price I find many bad reviews and this seems to be many of the newer class D lightweight amps ?

I’m tempted by the TCE BH550 as for price and spec it sounds a good amp.

My other choice was Ampeg PF500 but so nervous about reviews saying it cut out mid gig !! 

Back in the day the usual Trace Elliot / Ashdown, Ampeg, Peavey etc were trusty brands that delivered decent amps for live gigs. Now they all seem plagued with cutting out issues or over rated power etc etc

Just need a reliable and available Bass Head capable of hanging with a loud rock drummer and Marshall Half Stack 50w valve amp.. medium sized loud gigs without pa support 

Help !! 

You say you're tempted by the BH550. I've used a BH250 for a couple of years now and am not tempted to change it for anything else. Everything in 1 small light package. Effective EQ, built in tuner, I have spectracomp loaded & plenty of power for me. So if that's anything to go by then the 550 could be a good choice. 

As far as cabs are concerned a secondhand, Barefaced Compact will do everything you want.

It's light, has a great sound, is very, very loud and can be bought for about £300 on Basschat.

The compact, with a decent amp, will keep up with any loud drummer.

As far as heads are concerned, I own a couple of Gallien Kruegers D class heads, a MB500 and a MB800. They are about the size of a paperback book, are very powerful, made in the USA and have been very reliable.

They're also ridiculously cheap secondhand.

Ashdowns are also loud, reliable and within your budget, secondhand.

If you buy one of the new Fender Rumble 500 combos, you'll get all of the above as well.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gjones said:

As far as cabs are concerned a secondhand, Barefaced Compact will do everything you want.

It's light, has a great sound, is very, very loud and can be bought for about £300 on Basschat.

The compact, with a decent amp, will keep up with any loud drummer.

As far as heads are concerned, I own a couple of Gallien Kruegers D class heads, a MB500 and a MB800. They are about the size of a paperback book, are very powerful, made in the USA and have been very reliable.

They're also ridiculously cheap secondhand.

Ashdowns are also loud, reliable and within your budget, secondhand.

If you buy one of the new Fender Rumble 500 combos, you'll get all of the above as well.

Absolutely this ^^^^

I’ve used GK stuff for the last 15 years without one problem. There is currently a GK 1001RB (like mine) for sale in the classifieds on here for £380 including a rack tuner and case. These are old school design but still not too heavy (22lbs) and sound great! Loud as you’ll ever need when coupled with a cab that can take it too - 700 watts @4 ohms / 540 @ 8 ohms. I use a GK 410 8 ohm cab and it is loud as anything. Great price too, approx 50% of new price, and they’ve also just been discontinued too so grab it now!!

I’ve also got a GKMB800 which is great too, but class D so maybe not what you’re after. Also got a Fender Rumble, again fabulous bit of kit and the 500 would more than do the job for you.

Edited by casapete

If you're not too bothered about weight and don't need the latest bells and whistles, there's a very nice Trace rig for sale in the classifieds on here that will keep up with virtually all the suggestions you've received so far. A nice 1 x 15" and a 300W head for £150 all in. It's a tried and tested classic that will easily do what you want. Not only that, but you can resell it without losing too much money if you feel you need to spend more later. Which - if you hang around here too long - you probably will.

Sadly it’s a long way from Suffolk and I’m sure the shipping on a 115 cab second hand would be costly

2 hours ago, stevie said:

If you're not too bothered about weight and don't need the latest bells and whistles, there's a very nice Trace rig for sale in the classifieds on here that will keep up with virtually all the suggestions you've received so far. A nice 1 x 15" and a 300W head for £150 all in. It's a tried and tested classic that will easily do what you want. Not only that, but you can resell it without losing too much money if you feel you need to spend more later. Which - if you hang around here too long - you probably will.

Edited by BassAdder27

I don’t mind but I guess if I had confidence a new / second hand PF500 or TCE BH550 would suffice assuming they don’t fall over mid gig and shutdown !! 

An amp that can hold its own without PA support and ideally through a decent 210 or 212 cab or 115 and 210 cab combined 

I think if I can find the right head I can pick up cabs locally etc 

13 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

I don’t mind but I guess if I had confidence a new / second hand PF500 or TCE BH550 would suffice assuming they don’t fall over mid gig and shutdown !! 

Not sure about TC stuff, but the problems with the Ampeg PF500 were only with the earlier models, and the company sorted it it pretty quickly IIRC so don't let that put you off.

Have you seen there is a MB LM3 up for sale in the classifieds? You said above that you'd liked the one you had before. Think it's going for £250.

Does it have to be a head and a cab?

For that money you could get a Fender Rumble 500 v3 and possibly the cab as well if you shop around. IIRC, the combo weighs around 17kg. You do see them come up second hand as well.

There's always the Ashdown Rootmaster's (the 500 is 18kg) and the new OriginAL 300 2x10 combo (about 15kg).

Quite sure that there are other lightweight combo options available.