Why become a member? ×

Beginner question re: oils and stains

uk_lefty

No innuendo intended. 

I'm almost ready to buy a bass body, unfinished. I've got options for Ash or Alder. Ash looks nicer naturally, alder bodies are usually painted I think. So, thinking about staining and or oiling. I'm awful with anything DIY so looking for whatever would be the quickest route through. I'm in this for the learning experience but not to do something so complex and fiddly I go on a rampage when things go irretrievably wrong. 

With an Ash body would it take well to stain, and would it then need some kind of sealing coat over the top? I've only seen stain demos on flame maple so not sure how Ash reacts or whether it works but it's a sh!t idea. What would be good for an easy to apply matt finish on an Ash body? 

Thank you

• Like 1

Danish Oil is about the simplest if you wipe it on and off over several coats taking the nibs off in between with 0000 wire wool.  Better finishes are possible too.  It depends on how much you want to put into it.  I think the most demanding finish would be French polishing.

That does not answer your question about staining other than for me to say that most oils will change the colour of the timber slightly anyway.

@Andyjr1515 seems to have perfected a good method using ink for staining followed up with a slurry and buff technique to apply an oil (very thin varnish) finish.  Maybe he's tried Ash...?

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Danish Oil is about the simplest if you wipe it on and off over several coats taking the nibs off in between with 0000 wire wool.  Better finishes are possible too.  It depends on how much you want to put into it.  I think the most demanding finish would be French polishing.

That does not answer your question about staining other than for me to say that most oils will change the colour of the timber slightly anyway.

@Andyjr1515 seems to have perfected a good method using ink for staining followed up with a slurry and buff technique to apply an oil (very thin varnish) finish.  Maybe he's tried Ash...?

Thank you, I think Danish oil sounds like the kind of thing I'd like to try. I'm tempted by some of the stain colours but don't want to get ahead of myself! 

Screw Fix Danish Oil... £5... Almost clear, very light tint, several coats, nice matt to satin finish.

Its all in the before hand prep... unless you want a worn look.

Did my Cruiser P-a-like. (Search 'Danish Oil' on here and you will get a few posts n ideas)

Applied using the slurry method with fine wet n dry.. easier than spraying.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1