Why become a member? ×

Too much bass or not??? Opinion?

Pinball

Hi, I haven't posted for a while but I finished a solo/singer/songwriter album under lockdown and wonder if I got carried away with the bass.

The single and album title track below is an example with 3 (or was it 4) inter-woven bass parts by the end of the track. I'm about to start on a new solo project. I was asking myself, did I get carried away? I mean would it have been better with a simpler bass line and transferring the focus to other instruments or effects? Any thoughts?

Edited by Pinball
  • Like 3

Brill thanks, for the positivity as I was using the skills/tools that I have. Adding more bass lines seemed to keep the song moving and developing as it went along to my ear. 

10 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Sounds fine to me...if anything I'd turn the geeetar down a bit 😂😂

Reminiscent of Lou Reed???

That goes for the voice too as I can only use what I have. I do love Mr Reeds stuff so am happy with that.

• Like 1

The bass is loud. Maybe too loud for some but it doesn't bother me. I'd try a mix taking the other bass lines out. IMO you don't need them and an emptier sound might be more interesting. Also maybe add a little more low mid to the bass line.

Some of the notes drift in the bar but the first beat is always spot on. Did you adjust the timing on the first beat?

I like the drums, maybe add some hi-hat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chris_b said:

The bass is loud. Maybe too loud for some but it doesn't bother me. I'd try a mix taking the other bass lines out. IMO you don't need them and an emptier sound might be more interesting. Also maybe add a little more low mid to the bass line.

Some of the notes drift in the bar but the first beat is always spot on. Did you adjust the timing on the first beat?

I like the drums, maybe add some hi-hat.

The bass definitely drives it, which is probably down to my love of bass and why I asked the question...I always want to hear the bass loud in my stuff but have regretted that later more than once. It is too late to mess with this mix as the album is done and out there but the mids/mix is something for the next project. Note: The timing is pretty much as it was from memory

Putting bass to one side, the Blue and Hazy album is full of what could be considered "mistakes", most of I am aware of and ignored but I'm sure there are others. I also tried to avoid too much compression. I don't think that will work on the next as it is going to be more electronic and heavier. Your comments are relevant to that.

From Blue and Hazy, there is another sinister track on Youtube that is a good example of what I was after. I'm not actually playing the bass on that one (Pete Brownbridge is on double bass) but you can hear all the mistakes, background noise and clicks and bangs. The percussion/shakers are almost random at times. I wanted it to sound as near live as possible so in production tried to leave everything as was. There is even a missing guitar strum where I lost my way heehee. From memory I think that the timing varies too but that kind of suited the track.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pinball said:

The single and album title track below is an example with 3 (or was it 4) inter-woven bass parts by the end of the track. I'm about to start on a new solo project. I was asking myself, did I get carried away? I mean would it have been better with a simpler bass line and transferring the focus to other instruments or effects? Any thoughts?

Tidy.

I get the Lou Reed vibe too.  I don't think it's overdone.  In fact it's nice to hear a bass voice in a setting that suits it.

PS:  The mix sounds good from my laptop speakers.  I can't comment on the sound from my main system at this point.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

The style was also driven by the fact that I couldn't get back into the studio to revisit bits so did most of the stems for that at home. That's where all the percussion, voice and guitars were done. It was either that or put everything on hold, which wasn't something that I was going to do.

2 hours ago, Pinball said:

...Any thoughts?...

Good afternoon, PB, and apologies in advance if this seems too harsh (but you did ask, so...).

Firstly, and despite the above, 'Well done' for sharing, and kudos for asking for opinions, even if they're not what you wanted to read. Soooooo ...

Too much bass..? Yes, in that the format of the song, its 'genre', is really asking for a laid-back, 'minimalist' approach, and the fussy, extraneous bass parts serve only, really, to muddy the waters and distract. The principle bass 'hook line' would suffice (but even that becomes wearing, and won't easily support a second listen...). I would have suggested pulling it back after the first couple of verses, and used a guitar line over the top of it, as relief.
It must be a bit 'fashion', 'singing' in this way, and I'm not a fan of that, either. It can work, but only for a short while; there's too much here. A couple of lightweight, 'empty' middle eights would help, again with a spot of subtle guitar, maybe..?
A big 'thumb's down' for the drums (I'm a drummer...); that cymbal grates from the outset, and never lets up. A back-beat hi-hat closure would suit better; the 'splash' could be reserved as (very...) occasional punctuation, as emphasis on a word or note, nothing more. A gentle shaker, brought in gradually, adding a sense of rhythm to ease the track along somewhat, would be welcome, too.

OK, that's it. My usual disclaimer: I'm probably not your prime 'market' target, being old, retired, half-deaf and more still senile. Still, you did ask, and I'll repeat: well done for doing it at all. Tip Of The Day..? Don't pay any heed to old crusties that criticise your work. 

Keep well, stay safe :friends:

Douglas

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm probably not your prime 'market' target,

Douglas

Hi Douglas, thanks for your input. I hear what you are saying and do tend to get a bit OCD about my toons. That partly comes from a past lack of confidence (that's playing/singing and writing). I have now largely got over that simply though age and experience, so I no longer care so much what people think. I do love to get useful feedback that I can use in future projects though so thanks for that. I'm sure that your right that some of my stuff could be "slimmed" down. That is why I asked the question 

You touched on an important point that I don't think that a market exists for this type of music...whatever it is. Having said that I enjoy doing it so am continuing. Not worrying or over thinking gives me freedom to try all sorts of weird and random things and to go for it and have fun.

Expect more weird randomness in the future 😁

Note: I should have mentioned that the drums are just an electronic version that I put down to build the track around. Unfortunately an attempt to put down ambient drums failed and then we were in lockdown so I had to go with it. That also impacted on some of the other tracks which have percussion elements done at home instead of "real" drums. One track called Emily Sings has no percussion at all and a very sparse bass line.

Edited by Pinball
addition
  • Like 1

Best thing about this is your vocal: It seems to draw me in a la Lou Reed.

For the arrangement I'm hearing harmonium instead of guitar, percussion (maybe shakers and congas) instead of drum kit, and double bass in place of the electric bass. Or maybe no bass at all?

Nice! I look forward to your next offering.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MGBrown said:

Best thing about this is your vocal: It seems to draw me in a la Lou Reed.

For the arrangement I'm hearing harmonium instead of guitar, percussion (maybe shakers and congas) instead of drum kit, and double bass in place of the electric bass. Or maybe no bass at all?

Nice! I look forward to your next offering.

Harmonium? that would be interesting. I need to get some basic key playing skills

I actually really bloomin' liked that.

Very cool, laid back, hypnotic, zen like groove.

I'd be happy to sit a home, relaxing, listening to an albums worth of that with a nice single malt.

One minor comment - I wasn't so keen on the "with you" vocal ending, a little abrupt to the (chilled) rest of the song - I'd try leaving the vocal out completely there - but obviously feel free to ignore that.......

That said - I like the mature, yet modern, arrangement.  Mature in the way that that each instrument has it's place and space to breath, but also modern in that harmonically its quite stripped back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

Too much abss? Is that a thing?

Will this albu, be available for purchase?

Hi, yes the album's here:

https://eddiemole.bandcamp.com/album/blue-and-hazy

Tracks are all over the place as digi singles and there are a some video's on Youtube. I was a busy boy in lockdown as everything was stinky poo (bereavements/job losses, housing crises) . Music helped keep me going!

Edited by Pinball

8 hours ago, Pinball said:

Hi, I haven't posted for a while but I finished a solo/singer/songwriter album under lockdown and wonder if I got carried away with the bass.

Great stuff @Pinball 👍😊

Liked both tunes, and your voice and lyrics work really well with the arrangements.. 

The mixes sound fine to me too, but like all these things 'beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder'. 

• Like 1