Why become a member? ×

SOLD Bryant Double Bass Soloist Model SOLD
£5500
Hebden Bridge

Bought this bass last year from fellow basschatter Ian Davies, I bought it as an upgrade and also as I had begun to play more and was getting out and about playing more with others,  I had also had it checked over by Neal Heppleston  and he made me a new Bridge and I had new Spiro Weichs fitted, I’m not in a hurry to sell the bass so the price is firm and is what I paid for the bass from Ian, the work Neal has done has improved it further.

Im selling as I don’t see myself making a lot of use of it in the future.

Here is the info from the sales post that Ian provided -

Paul is well known for making fantastic double basses in the English/Italian style. I’ve been fortunate to commission and own 3 of his basses and each one has been amazing and a delight to play!

Paul describes his soloist model as,

“A great little bass, with classic Italian styling, good for Arco work, jazz, or general gigging. Compact and easy to transport, but with a big sound, a very versatile bass.”

I’ve used this bass in all kinds of settings, big classical symphonies, chamber music, solo recitals, recordings, jazz groups of all sorts and music theatre/pit work and I’ve always been very happy with how great it sounds and plays. Also I’m amazed at how the bass holds up against others that are bigger and much more expensive.

The particulars for this one are as follows:

• length of back: 43”
  • string length: 41”
  • rib depth: 8 1/2” (8 3/4’s at the widest point on the lower bout)
  • upper bout: 20”
  • lower bout: 25 1/2”
  • varnish is red, golden, brown
  • swell back of lightly flamed maple (most of Paul’s basses are flat back and plainer wood)
  • sides of medium flame maple
  • neck and scroll of highly flamed maple
  • front of medium grained Sitka spruce
  • comes with a certificate of authenticity

In 2013 Paul valued the bass at £7000, so it would be a bit more by now.

Other Bryant basses and soloist models do come up for sale at lower prices but Paul made different levels of bass and this one is in the top of his range, Paul himself said that this bass was, ‘one of the better ones’.

Also this particular bass has several more things going for it; swell back rather than flat (costs a lot more to make in the first place), much more flamed wood than is usual for a Bryant bass, it’s been played in a lot and the sound has really matured and improvement works by Malcolm Healey.

image.jpg

Edited by Jezyorkshire
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ian Davies said:

Good luck with the sale Jez, hope it all work out well for you.

Thanks mate, to be honest I might change my mind yet lol! 
was getting a lot of playing in but it’s all turned to stinky poo, hope your well mate

Hello

please can I ask a couple of questions.  I have only been playing the bass for a year or so (been playing the cello for 35 years ) and so am looking to upgrade as the bass i am on was definitely a starter bass hence the questions.

is this 3/4 ish size.  not sure I can manage a full size one.  

I have been guided by a more experienced friend to this bass which he thinks might be a good one for me to look at but due to current situation I am restricted to stay in wales.  I would of course want to come and have a look and have a little play.  

you say you are not in a hurry to sell but I am interested if you have had a lot of interest as I cant' get to hebdon bridge for a while.

hope you don't mind the questions

very best wishes

Mary

17 hours ago, Mary said:

is this 3/4 ish size.  not sure I can manage a full size one. 

Bryant's are notoriously playable ( once the "fixes" have been applied, and this one is all fixed up ).  Scale is usually 40.5 inches ... My own bass is 44 inches ... So definitely 3/4.  

One of my orchestra colleagues has a 5-string Bryant soloist, she's about 5ft 1" and plays it much better than I manage my big German beast.  Less character than mine, I think, and quieter .. but also maintenance free.  Plus getting one with a swell back ...

If I had the space to put a second double bass, I'd be racing you to Hebden Bridge!

Plus Bryant has retired, so prices will only go up.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Cairobill said:

Indeed, Bryants are lovely - was just down in Hastings this afternoon and recalled my visit to Paul's old house to pick up my Solo bass. I miss it!

I’m certainly not in a rush to sell, longer I have it the more I appreciate it

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I suppose I should be grateful you’re not in Scotland, but man Hebden Bridge is a long way from Southampton!

don't suppose you ever venture south?

I left my Ron Prentice chamber bass behind in Canada and I’m looking for a replacement. 

5 hours ago, lizsop said:

I suppose I should be grateful you’re not in Scotland, but man Hebden Bridge is a long way from Southampton!

don't suppose you ever venture south?

I left my Ron Prentice chamber bass behind in Canada and I’m looking for a replacement. 

I don’t have a car now lol but funnily enough my Sister lives in Southampton, can’t see it fitting on my motorbike !

On 23/08/2021 at 17:51, lizsop said:

I left my Ron Prentice chamber bass behind in Canada

How dreadful for you🙁.  I nearly commissioned a bass off Ron in 1988. He quoted me "around £4000".   Then another maker told me his basses were hard work and never "softened up" ... I presume that was rubbish as they cost a fortune now.

55 minutes ago, bassadder said:

This bass look fabulous and for the money is tremendous value….

If I was in the market for new bass this would be top of the list

Thanks, a chap came to play it a few weeks ago and was surprised how open it sounded, it was nice to hear someone else play it who was better than me, sounded great

• Like 1