Why become a member? ×

So I'm gonna commit to getting a lighter smaller bass, most likely the Hofner Ignition violin bass. The other bass I was reminded of was the old 70's Shaftesbury semi-acoustic R 330 copies but those rarely turn up in decent condition and are inexplicably expensive when they do. So it looks like a hollow body Hofner is on the horizon for me and my knacked shoulder and trapped neck nerves.

If anyone is interested in my beloved '84 MIJ  Squier Bullet, it's here. God I'm gonna be sorry to see it go 

• Like 1

On 02/12/2020 at 20:06, Dad3353 said:

The Hofner violin bass is, indeed, excellent, and more versatile than is generally realised; there are other lightweight basses, too. Hofner offer the Club bass, and the Verythin, both of which boast much lighter weight than most of the P & J basses (around 2kg7...). A bit heavier is the Epiphone Jack Casady, at around 3kg6. The Danelectro DC is about 3kg, and the Longhorn about the same.
Hope this helps. B|

Agreed,   I'm not kidding my German made Hofner Club will float out of my hand if I'm not careful.

Blue

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meterman said:

So I'm gonna commit to getting a lighter smaller bass, most likely the Hofner Ignition violin bass. The other bass I was reminded of was the old 70's Shaftesbury semi-acoustic R 330 copies but those rarely turn up in decent condition and are inexplicably expensive when they do. So it looks like a hollow body Hofner is on the horizon for me and my knacked shoulder and trapped neck nerves.

If anyone is interested in my beloved '84 MIJ  Squier Bullet, it's here. God I'm gonna be sorry to see it go 

WOW! An 84 MIJ P Bass. That's a fantastic bass.

Blue

• Thanks 1

There are plenty of lightweight options beyond Hofner (nothing wrong with it though). I’d definitely go short scale AND make sure the balance is good (Some short scales aren’t). Although I think they sound great, I would not advise the Jack Cassidy - it’s long scale, the nut is a stretch and it neck dives! As ever choice depends on budget, but with SS options from loads like Musicman, Sandberg, Fender, Ibanez, Gretch there is loads out there!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Storky said:

There are plenty of lightweight options beyond Hofner (nothing wrong with it though). I’d definitely go short scale AND make sure the balance is good (Some short scales aren’t). Although I think they sound great, I would not advise the Jack Cassidy - it’s long scale, the nut is a stretch and it neck dives! As ever choice depends on budget, but with SS options from loads like Musicman, Sandberg, Fender, Ibanez, Gretch there is loads out there!

Thank you! Yes, there's absolutely loads of short scale options out there now. I've played (and owned) Mustangs, Broncos, Arias, Gretsch, Eko, Vox, etc and the lightest bass of all of them is the little hollowbody Hofner Ignition. It wouldn't be might first choice in the looks department, but I know I should be able to play one of them without experiencing trapped nerve neck pain and shoulder blade pain. 

I've become such a softlad as I've got older 😂

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Similar story here.  Shoulder/neck issues plus arthritis in my thumb joints.  The joy of getting old!

I bought a strandberg Boden 4 this time last year and love it; great sound and super light at 6lbs. 
during lockdown I bought a hofner ignition club bass, very light and ok to play. 
I have upgraded the machine heads as I read comments about them failing, also put some decent ‘Beatles’ strings on.  For the money it’s good. 
haven’t played it at volume yet so I don’t know if the semi hollow body will give feedback issues. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martinbass7750 said:

Similar story here.  Shoulder/neck issues plus arthritis in my thumb joints.  The joy of getting old!

I bought a strandberg Boden 4 this time last year and love it; great sound and super light at 6lbs. 
during lockdown I bought a hofner ignition club bass, very light and ok to play. 
I have upgraded the machine heads as I read comments about them failing, also put some decent ‘Beatles’ strings on.  For the money it’s good. 
haven’t played it at volume yet so I don’t know if the semi hollow body will give feedback issues. 

I received a Hofner Ignition violin bass just a few hours before moving house earlier this week. I haven’t had time to plug it into an amp yet but I’ve got a good feeling about it. I’m unlikely to ever play it at stadium volume, mind. But I’m sure it’ll be fine 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meterman said:

I received a Hofner Ignition violin bass just a few hours before moving house earlier this week. I haven’t had time to plug it into an amp yet but I’ve got a good feeling about it. I’m unlikely to ever play it at stadium volume, mind. But I’m sure it’ll be fine 👍

I have the Ignition Club bass, essentially the same as the violin but a different shape. It's a great bass, I don't think you'll regret your choice. 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2020 at 21:04, Ricky 4000 said:

Glass bottles of pop, glass bottles of milk! Rickets... 😬

Ohhhhh, rickets!!! My other favourite was diphtheria.  🤤 I’m waiting for the Hipsters / 1940s beard wax / Peaky Blunders crowd to start taking these conditions on. It’s gotta happen.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Sounds good meterman, any pics 🙂

I’ll do a full NBD tomorrow. I’m still physically knackered from the emigration / move and still have to put flats on it today before I really get stuck into it.

I should do a NMD as well. At times it was a brilliant laugh thanks to @Dad3353

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, meterman said:

I’ll do a full NBD tomorrow. I’m still physically knackered from the emigration / move and still have to put flats on it today before I really get stuck into it.

I should do a NMD as well. At times it was a brilliant laugh thanks to @Dad3353

Glad the move went to plan. For your NBD post could we please have some sunny and cheerful French scenes in the background? It’s a bit grim over here 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Glad the move went to plan. For your NBD post could we please have some sunny and cheerful French scenes in the background? It’s a bit grim over here 🤣

Actually it was raining when I woke up this morning and I must admit I was entirely unhappy about it. I didn’t move here for rain :(

The estate agents promised 376 days of sunshine per year. I’m beginning to wonder if they were being less than truthful. 

• Haha 3