Why become a member? ×

Please consider attaching the strap at the headstock, whichever bass is chosen, in much the same way as an acoustic guitar, basically. It makes an awful lot of difference to the balance of the instrument, and 'neck-dive' is no longer a consideration. The left arm is then pretty well totally free to just play, and doesn't support the neck at all.
Just a thought. :friends:

• Thanks 1

On 03/12/2020 at 16:39, Dad3353 said:

Please consider attaching the strap at the headstock, whichever bass is chosen, in much the same way as an acoustic guitar, basically. It makes an awful lot of difference to the balance of the instrument, and 'neck-dive' is no longer a consideration. The left arm is then pretty well totally free to just play, and doesn't support the neck at all.
Just a thought. :friends:

I have tried that and it certainly improved the balance of the bass but I found that the strap had a tendency to slip off my shoulder and down my back as I was playing.  I mentioned in another post that the balance of the bass has as much to do with the feel of it as the weight.  My bass is a light weight, hollow bodied Italia but I have been using my old Tanglewood copy of the Hofner violin bass lately because my back issues have resurfaced.  Short scale and light weight is the way to go but watch out for neck dive as it does put extra strain on the left shoulder.

• Like 2

After reading the responses here and having had a natter with a couple of mates who own Hofners I’m going to get a Hofner Ignition violin bass for myself and see how I get on with it.

Going to be adding it to my eBay saved searches, but if anyone on here knows of one for sale let me know.

On a different tack today my wife reminded of the Aria Sinsonido (correct spelling?) I almost bought about 15 years ago. Now that was light weight! But I’m gonna see how I get on with a Hofner.

I really appreciate all the advice that everyone has offered. It’s a great place, this 👍

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, meterman said:

On a different tack today my wife reminded of the Aria Sinsonido (correct spelling?) I almost bought about 15 years ago. Now that was light weight! But I’m gonna see how I get on with a Hofner.

The Sinsonido is a very nice practice tool, especially if you're travelling or have young children at home, but I would never consider it as a 'serious' instrument in the way that a Violin bass or a Precision is serious.

Although you could gig a Sinsonido at a pinch, that's really not what it's all about. The tone is as much of a one-trick pony as the P-bass, but without the P-bass's warmth and character. It's best described as sterile, and it's hard to imagine any genre of music which would sound better with the bassist playing a Sinsonido!

I repeat, as a practice tool / travel bass (which is what it was really designed for) it's an excellent piece of kit. I used to take mine on holiday with me.

• Like 1

Just now, meterman said:

I’ll admit I do have a secret soft spot for Steinbergers :)

Strangely enough, @Silvia Bluejay bought a Spirit By Steinberger (5-string) last month. Same bass?

I ask because there is no way that thing weighs as little as 5.5 lbs!

Without actually weighing it (have you seen the time?) I'd estimate it as being the thick end of 8lbs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

The Sinsonido is a very nice practice tool, especially if you're travelling or have young children at home, but I would never consider it as a 'serious' instrument in the way that a Violin bass or a Precision is serious.

Although you could gig a Sinsonido at a pinch, that's really not what it's all about. The tone is as much of a one-trick pony as the P-bass, but without the P-bass's warmth and character. It's best described as sterile, and it's hard to imagine any genre of music which would sound better with the bassist playing a Sinsonido!

I repeat, as a practice tool / travel bass (which is what it was really designed for) it's an excellent piece of kit. I used to take mine on holiday with me.

Exactly! It was one of those basses you try in a shop mainly out of curiosity, but I loved the way it played. Wasn’t sure if I would ever use it on a gig or in the studio so my money stayed in my pocket. Brilliant design though. 

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Strangely enough, @Silvia Bluejay bought a Spirit By Steinberger (5-string) last month. Same bass?

I ask because there is no way that thing weighs as little as 5.5 lbs!

Without actually weighing it (have you seen the time?) I'd estimate it as being the thick end of 8lbs.

Although it must be said it does weigh less than my Corvette 5s, and than my Ibanez. Yes, I know, they're boat anchors and so on...

13 minutes ago, meterman said:

I’ll admit I do have a secret soft spot for Steinbergers :)

If you’re currently struggling with the lower frets on your current bass, then I wouldn’t consider a Steinberger style bass to be honest. Usually full 34” scale length, they are notorious for having an awkward design/balance which makes the neck seem further away than more conventional designs. I loved my Hohner version but had to sell it because of this. The only remedy is obtaining a bracket which extends the neck strap button making the body of the bass hang better when standing, but they are hard to source I believe. Also whilst having a compact body they do vary in weight, mine being around 7lbs IIRC - not a boat anchor by any means, but not as light as you may have thought. Certainly try one out (on a strap!) before buying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, casapete said:

If you’re currently struggling with the lower frets on your current bass, then I wouldn’t consider a Steinberger style bass to be honest. Usually full 34” scale length, they are notorious for having an awkward design/balance which makes the neck seem further away than more conventional designs. I loved my Hohner version but had to sell it because of this. The only remedy is obtaining a bracket which extends the neck strap button making the body of the bass hang better when standing, but they are hard to source I believe. Also whilst having a compact body they do vary in weight, mine being around 7lbs IIRC - not a boat anchor by any means, but not as light as you may have thought. Certainly try one out (on a strap!) before buying.

Yeah, lower fret access is definitely giving my neck and shoulder gyp and has done for a while. I’m going to try the short scale hollow body thing and see how it works for me. I was playing my wife’s classical guitar today and that was fine, no pain at all (except hearing my rusty playing out loud). I was sitting down to play which helped as well. Maybe a downsize might be the way to go for now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Re. the Spirit - I totally agree on the awkward balance. I'm going to use it as a lap bass! Played only while sitting down. It's got a clever foldable 'arm' that stops it slipping down. :)

I'll write a quick NBD-cum-review soon.

The folding thing does give your leg some gyp after a while Silvia, but sitting down certainly makes more sense. 🙂

• Like 1

On 03/12/2020 at 02:20, meterman said:

Hiya folks, hope you’re all warm and well and lockdown isn’t driving you all nuts. I need to ask the Basschat collective mind some advice about lightweight basses.

My left shoulder is knackered through a combination of old rotator cuff tear / weakness after a biking injury. It’s bad enough at the moment that if I pick up my bass with my right hand it’s painful in my left shoulder straight away. Even sitting down to play is painful. Reaching for a low F on the E string hurts, for instance. 

I’ve had recurring trouble with this shoulder for years and sometimes I can’t play bass at all. Just wondering if I’m destined to only play a Kala U-bass for the rest of my days or if something like a Hofner Violin bass might work for me? Anybody here had a similar problem? Or do I just man the flip up and hammer the co-codamols any play through it? 😆

A mate of mine switched from Jazz bass to a Violin bass after his back and shoulder problems got serious, and I’m wondering if I might have to make that decision too. I remember seeing old pics of Robbie Shakespeare playing a violin bass so I know they’re not just for Macca fans. Anyone else here gone through the same kind of thing? Thanks in advance 🙏 - Lee

Sorry for Your problem ☹️.

Sandberg makes lightest solid body basses on the market. Next to standard super light models, You can order Your personal configuration from light wood and parts. It can be a great choice. 

• Like 2

Play whatever bass you like, just keep it completely off your shoulders.

71yKApZwaLL._AC_SX425_.jpg.f5620103b8359b46520605c9acf8ede2.jpg

I know a guitarist who uses these, banged himself up badly in a motorbike accieent some years ago, and he reckons once you're used to them theyre very good.  Even better stillmfor bassists, who tend to wear their instruments a little lower down than guitarists

• Like 1

I had a brainwave tonight, I was just thinking about minimising weight strain on my shoulder and neck and I think I’ve got the answer:

1) Buy a lightweight Hofner Ignition hollow body violin bass..

2) Superglue the bass onto the front of my jumper..

3) Wear my bass / jumper combo for gigs and sessions etc..

Can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier. Am genuinely chuffed to have found a solution that doesn’t involve having Juliette Binoche crouching down in front of me, holding my bass up and taking its weight for me. She’s more expensive than my budget allows, and also she’s not really a violin bass kind of lady. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, meterman said:

I had a brainwave tonight, I was just thinking about minimising weight strain on my shoulder and neck and I think I’ve got the answer:

Can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier. Am genuinely chuffed to have found a solution that doesn’t involve having Juliette Binoche crouching down in front of me, holding my bass up and taking its weight for me. She’s more expensive than my budget allows, and also she’s not really a violin bass kind of lady. 

Well, she flatly refused to get her hands on my Dano - one reason I'm selling it.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, meterman said:

Or you could take it just one little step further..... 

Bass Suit.jpg

• Thanks 1