Why become a member? ×

How do I actually measure the output of my bass?

Owen

As in actual Volts (or whatever I am meant to say here!).

I am trying to sort out stuff and would like to know in numbers whether one of my basses is SUPER HOT on output or whether my problem is elsewhere. Do I put a multimeter across a jack plug?

TIA.

Yes, a multimeter across the lead (red to tip, black to sleeve) will give you the output in millivolts as you play, but will fluctuate wildly with playing dynamics - the harder you hit, the greater the reading. 

you could also put your multimeter across the hot and ground connections on your pickup(s) too - this time measure the dc resistance of the pickup. Generally a jazz bass pickup will be anywhere from 6.5 to 8 ohms, but I’ve seen some up at 11. There’s more to it than this, but it’s a good indicator that a pickup is either ‘hot’ or not.

If you are just interested in comparing it's output to other of your basses you could simply record the different basses if you got a DAW installed on your computer and a sound interface, just using the same settings on whatever gear you eventual use between the bass and sound interface (like a preamp, EQ e.t.c), and playing the exact same with about an equal amount of force behind your picking on the different basses you want to compare, that way you would get both a dB measurement of the difference between the output of your different basses and you would get a visual idea of it by comparing the graphic representations of the recorded bass signals in your DAW.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1