Why become a member? ×

Favourite Xmas Song

Crawford13

On 03/12/2020 at 20:24, visog said:

Evening team. As usual you're all wrong. Chris Squire did the best seasonal song that never charted...

(291) Run with the Fox by Alan White and Chris Squire - YouTube

Well, I actually broke down listening to that. Because it’s Christmassy in all the best ways, because Christmas this year comes at the tail end of a horrendous year where (amongst many other things) I lost my dad, which makes it all the more poignant, and because it brought home how much I miss Chris Squire. 

• Like 1

Just put this together on my FB page...

The tree’s up. There’s Christmas music in the car... cue Noddy... IT’S CHRISTMAAAAAS!!! Time for a personal top 10 of my fave Christmas pop and rock songs...

1. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day - Roy Wood: let’s face it, this one’s just Wizzard! 😉🙄🤦‍♂️
2. That’ll Be Christmas - Thea Gilmore: the stereotypical British Christmas to a “T”.
3. A Merry Jingle - The Greedies: 60% Thin Lizzy, 40% Sex Pistols, 100% Jingle! Who could ask for more?
4. In Dulci Jubilo - Mike Oldfield: total earworm. I end up humming it all over the Christmas period.
5. I Believe In Father Christmas - Greg Lake: cynical but still wonderful.
6. Jesus What A Wonderful Child - Maria Carey: cue the lady getting her car serviced meme but played this tune on the bass a load of times and it’s always fun, especially when it goes full on gospel at the end.
7. Carol Of The Bells/What Child Is This  - Point Of Grace: I think this was an M&S advert one year but I’ve played bass to this one a couple of times with the orchestral backing track. So fabulously OTT that even for a girl-band it’s practically prog-rock!
8. Ring Solstice Bells - Jethro Tull: speaking of prog, this one’s in 7/8... not strictly a Christmas tune but fab nonetheless... I dare you to clap along with it. Dare ya!
9. Jingle Bells & Run Rudolph Run - The Brian Setzer Orchestra: I’m going to claim a twofer for this one. A Rockabilly/Swing Band Christmas, love it and especially the horn section’s backing vocals on Jingle Bells... hilarious!
10. Run With The Fox - Chris Squire & Alan White: got this on single years ago. Fabulous song. Actually, maybe THIS should be at No 1?

Edited by TrevorR

Lonely this Christmas by Mud is my favourite to listen to. In an old band we had a reunion gig at Christmas and did Slade Merry Xmas Everybody which was really good fun to play. 

I've been trying to get my band, One Fat Finger, to record our own version of the Wombles Xmas song, but "we wish you a Fingering merry Christmas" might not be a family favourite. 

• Haha 1

Two from me

Always a sucker for a good choral performance. And .....

Love their tongue-in-cheek-ness. The Darkness Rig Rundown is terrific for the same reason.

By the way. Do we know why Michael Buble was apparently breaking wind over that present?

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 3

Just listened to Run With The Fox twice again. Same effect both times. Weird.

Huge thanks to Visog for posting, as it had somehow passed me by. It’s absolutely wonderful. 

And has anyone’s tone ever been so representative of the player? Big, exuberant....just like Chris. 

• Like 1