Why become a member? ×

Favourite Xmas Song

Crawford13

4 hours ago, EMG456 said:

A few of my favourites already quoted but I always liked this one. At the time there were loads of rumours that it was McCartney under a pseudonym!

Keeping the dream alive - Freiheit 1988 - YouTube

The year that was released I attended the Works Christmas dinner dance at the Albany Hotel in Brum (Foseco was a big company then, and they kept a suite of rooms at the Albany for foreigh visitors - we got to rent a room for peanuts for the night). Free booze, food.. pity unbenownst to me I had the Flu which I was masking with several Brandies. Remember listening to it in the hotel room as I was trying to wash away how crap I was feeling with the mini bar.

Next morning I woke with a fever so bad I thought it was saturday (it was in fact sunday) so I delieriously checked out and stumbled in a feverish haze to New Street Station hoping to catch an early train home... except it was Sunday, and trains didnt start home till midday. Nothing was open, sat freezing in a suit (no coat, nothing open). Got home eventually to find I had no money for a Taxi, and my dad had been caslled into work for an emergency so i had to walk 30 mins home in rather chilly weather. Hello  delierious, hello Pneumonia. .... Still love that damn song though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Mariah Carey

Gregg Lake

The Waitresses

Frank Turner's cover of Last Christmas

Frank Turners cover of a mate of mines Xmas song, Merry Xmas you C..ts is also worth a listen, as is the original (please don’t play at work or in company of kids/easily offended)

Most Christmas songs shred my nerves because I only hear them in supermarkets. Three exceptions:

1. The version of Slade's "Merry Xmas Everybody" that the Cure played on the final night of the Kissing tour in 1987. Well worth missing the last train home for.

2. Greg Lake's "I Believe in Father Christmas". As a small child, I loved the Prokofiev passages, and the song always reminded me of mid-'70s Christmas mornings with my elder brother as we compared our pre-breakfast cocoa-related swag. Not long after he drank himself to death about fifteen years ago, I flew from Washington DC to England for my mother's 70th birthday. She was terminally ill and at the time I did not really expect to see her again. "I believe in Father Christmas" was playing in the terminal at Heathrow while I was buying Bittermints to take back to the US. There's a plangent quality to the song and the sound engineering that sets it apart from the usual run of Christmas-related emotional manipulation. It certainly got to me that day.

3. "Last Christmas" by Wham! I didn't care for the song in the slightest. It's a favourite, however, because the video induced my mother to make a very ill-advised wager with me regarding which member of the duo had had a nose job. My mother's grasp of pop-culture trivia was not as solid as was her insistence on honouring bets. That one paid for my first car.

My happy Christmas music moments are all carols. I loved singing in choirs and opera groups as a younger man, and every year the carol concerts were a highlight. When the descant to Oh come all ye faithful or Hark the herald kicks in...yep.  Happy memories and Christmassy feelings right there :) Much nicer than the retail hell memories I have that are associated with the pop stuff. 
I should add here that I’m not a man of faith, it’s purely to do with nice memories and liking what I like. 

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

My happy Christmas music moments are all carols. I loved singing in choirs and opera groups as a younger man, and every year the carol concerts were a highlight. When the descant to Oh come all ye faithful or Hark the herald kicks in...yep.  Happy memories and Christmassy feelings right there :) Much nicer than the retail hell memories I have that are associated with the pop stuff. 
I should add here that I’m not a man of faith, it’s purely to do with nice memories and liking what I like. 

Good call. I feel much the same, even like a lot of non Christmas religious music, and am a fully fledged atheist. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Nearly 50 and still partial to a bit of the old Slade etc at christmas😂

My go to album is Christmas is Forever though, with this being a particular fave. Back to his 70s best with this one! 

aw man, love me some Bootsy! 🤩

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4000 said:

I can’t listen, unfortunately. To me he makes nails down a blackboard sound like Karen Carpenter. 😂

My favourite is probably Greg Lake. 

Must admit i don't find him that extreme. i think he was grossly over-played when he first came out and it put me off Simply Red back then but some songs i just like. Would never buy them tho. 

I like the Greg Lake song too. So many great Xmas songs that i have them on a playlist just ready for Xmas day including all the old classics like Dean Martin and Bing Crosby thru to Slade and Roy Wood but then again i just love Xmas.

I know that's sad for someone my age who doesn't have kids but i guess i've just never grown up. 😂🎅

Dave

Well I've been offered a gig on Saturday, entertaining the punters at an outdoor Christmas market. A mix of lowest common denominator covers with about half a dozen supermarket Christmas songs thrown in.

Of course I do have some pride, so I told the band leader...

Hell yes, I'll do it!

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Graham56 said:

Oh, and Jim Lea's bassline to "the song" is a really nice, melodic one, with a lot going for it.

Love playing Jim Lea bassline to that song. Some really nice wee runs in it.

Have fun and hopefully we'll see some pics or vids on here.

All the best and i am not jealous in any way at all........honest i really am not jealous at all.........I SAID NOT AT ALL.

Just kidding of course..............no i'm not.

Dave🎅

• Haha 1