Why become a member? ×

Favourite Xmas Song

Crawford13

I think I've inadvertently undergone a very long term process of aversion therapy with regards to Christmas songs.

After many years of hearing more or less the same song selection on constant repeat on the radio, in shops and pubs and round people's houses I'm now at the point where even the opening bars of the supposedly ever popular 'Fairytale of New York' inspire nothing but feelings of slight revulsion.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I think I've inadvertently undergone a very long term process of aversion therapy with regards to Christmas songs.

After many years of hearing more or less the same song selection on constant repeat on the radio, in shops and pubs and round people's houses I'm now at the point where even the opening bars of the supposedly ever popular 'Fairytale of New York' inspire nothing but feelings of slight revulsion.

This multiplied many many times.

I don't like any Christmas songs until a week before Christmas, when I enjoy them all. 

Apart from that warbling, hamster faced monstrosity, Carey, who can shove her song up her hole! 

I'm particularly fond of the Jona Lewie and Wham ones though. 

It's great though isn't it how music can evoke such feelings and emotions. My daughter always says she only has to hear the opening synth stab of 'Wonderful Christmastime'  and it instantly feels like Christmas, yet it was released 20 years before she was born. So I'll nominate that one as well as it'll be our first Christmas without her at home. Oh god, here I go. 

• Like 2

Generally hate Christmas these days, sick of it rammed down your throat by September 2nd! 
Anyway that aside, I like this version of white Christmas because it’s one my daughter and I sing together and I haven’t seen her for 12 months. Hoping she can get home for Christmas.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Generally hate Christmas these days, sick of it rammed down your throat by September 2nd! 
Anyway that aside, I like this version of white Christmas because it’s one my daughter and I sing together and I haven’t seen her for 12 months. Hoping she can get home for Christmas.

I have played that a lot.

I enjoy it.

Far more than that dire Mariah Carey tune!

• Like 1