Why become a member? ×

Play for free, it's good exposure...BBC content

yorks5stringer

15 hours ago, BillyBass said:

There is a person in charge of the budget for each programme,

Indeed... It's not The BBC as a big monolith who refused to pay the band, it's either the Producer or the Associate Producer. There's at least one, and sometimes many more, on each programme. And in common with every other profession, there's scum sucking pigs, there's lovely people and everything in between. I've worked with ones from both ends of the spectrum - strangely there seems to be a correlation between the more scum sucking ones, tight budgets and poor organisation. These type spend more of their time buttering up "The Talent" - ie actors, presenters, directors - and build no sensible relations with the folks who actually do the work that makes The Talent look good. This would include unknown bands!

Many's the time I had ridiculous requests from a poorly organised producer (or director) for re-edits or re-dubs on the day before transmission simply because actor a had said a line just a tiny bit out of character, or a scene looked a bit too green on the Producer's vhs copy! Luckily, as these things often came from my budget I could politely give them the 3 little words unless it was something to actually worry about! And funnily enough, because I was at the poor relation end of TV (Post Production) I was paid considerably less than them...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've said it before but I'll say it again.

The BBC is an utter scumbag organisation from the top to the bottom, and the sooner it's shut down, or at least defunded with public money, the better. 

I couldn't agree more.

I'm all for defunding the BBC from public money and letting them either die or do what their competitors have to do and start generating money from advertisting.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thebassist said:

I'm all for defunding the BBC from public money and letting them either die or do what their competitors have to do and start generating money from advertisting.

The only problem with that is, as soon as the advertisers are the driving force, the quality of programs takes a serious dive. 

I have no problem with the licence or the programs the BBC puts out.  Anything that divorces the program makers from commercial considerations is a good thing in my book.

Is this non-payment a new thing? I always got paid by the BBC, but that was rather a long time ago.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Is this non-payment a new thing? I always got paid by the BBC, but that was rather a long time ago.

It's a side-effect of the (relatively) new approach of out-sourcing as much production as possible to independent or semi-independent production companies, a point that has just been made by @Leonard Smalls.

The hivemind mentality of the Internet is to focus on one big, easy target and blame them for everything. In this case it's the BBC getting it in the neck from the Basschat collective. I have no connection with, or affiliation to, the BBC, and I can't be arsed to leap to anyone's defence, but most of the comments on this topic so far are ... erm ... ill-informed.

IMHO, of course.

Flame away, guys, I'm bored anyway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

The BBC can't simply claim 'not us Guv' when stuff is being done in the name of the Corporation ?

I suspect that some grief will be had by those responsible, as The Powers That Be don't really like too much bad publicity. But as with all news stories it's only the original headline that sticks - you rarely find out what happens in the end or what action has been taken unless it is in itself deemed "newsworthy".

Funnily enough, the area of the beeb (and i suspect other media organisations) that rarely if ever got grief and really didn't care if it did was news - they were largely a law unto themselves because they felt that their (usually highly selective) reporting was much more important than anybody else.

In Post Production, we had the saying that if the technical quality of something wasn't very good that it was "good enough for sport", and if it was really, really bad "good enough for news"...

44 minutes ago, chris_b said:

The only problem with that is, as soon as the advertisers are the driving force, the quality of programs takes a serious dive. 

I have no problem with the licence or the programs the BBC puts out.  Anything that divorces the program makers from commercial considerations is a good thing in my book.

A subscription service perhaps then? I don't watch anything the BBC put out so I'd prefer not to be forced to pay for it.

Edited by thebassist

4 minutes ago, thebassist said:

I don't watch anything the BBC put out so I'd prefer not to be forced to pay for it.

I don't have anything to do with the Army and I'm absolutely certain we don't need a nuclear deterrent, let along a totally modernised one, but I'm still paying for those. . . . and don't get me started on how much our Politicians are costing us!!

IMO the cost of the BBC is insignificant in comparison.

• Like 4

Just now, chris_b said:

I don't have anything to do with the Army and I'm absolutely certain we don't need a nuclear deterrent, let along a totally modernised one, but I'm still paying for those. . . . and don't get me started on how much our Politicians are costing us!!

IMO the cost of the BBC is insignificant in comparison.

You're entitled to your opinion as am I.

44 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

It's a side-effect of the (relatively) new approach of out-sourcing as much production as possible to independent or semi-independent production companies, a point that has just been made by @Leonard Smalls.

The hivemind mentality of the Internet is to focus on one big, easy target and blame them for everything. In this case it's the BBC getting it in the neck from the Basschat collective. I have no connection with, or affiliation to, the BBC, and I can't be arsed to leap to anyone's defence, but most of the comments on this topic so far are ... erm ... ill-informed.

IMHO, of course.

Flame away, guys, I'm bored anyway.

Unfortunately "Strictly" is one of the few programmes still made by the BBC itself (or at least BBC Studios which is obviously close enough to the BBC to be able to use the logo).

Having said that, don't expect any of the other production companies producing material for the various TV channels to be any more enlightened if they think they could get away with not paying musicians for their work.

Just now, BigRedX said:

Are you sure?

Never watch anything on Dave or Yesterday or any of the other UKTV Play channels?

I don't watch Dave, I don't watch Yesterday, I don't watch UKTV Play, I don't visit bbc.co.uk either. I watch Sky Arts, both Eurosport channels and that's more or less it.

All I'm saying is that I'd prefer not to have to pay for it and would like to see a tiered subscription service introduced perhaps.

3 minutes ago, thebassist said:

I don't watch Dave, I don't watch Yesterday, I don't watch UKTV Play, I don't visit bbc.co.uk either. I watch Sky Arts, both Eurosport channels and that's more or less it.

All I'm saying is that I'd prefer not to have to pay for it and would like to see a tiered subscription service introduced perhaps.

I'd check very carefully all the production credits for everything you watch, I'm pretty certain that some of the older programmes on the Sky Arts channel are BBC productions, or at least were commissioned by the BBC. And no-one in your household watches any BBC-related TV at all?

Edited by BigRedX

19 minutes ago, thebassist said:

I think it's poor that the BBC dropped these musicians after they asked to be paid.

It is poor... But as I said, it wasn't The BBC who dropped the musicians - it was the producers of Strictly who are probably freelance anyway!

The whole broadcast industry has an unfortunate culture of dangling the carrot of "gaining experience" in return for usually younger folk desperate to get into the business having to work long hours for free as runners...

The BBC took no part in any of that sort of thing when I was there (till2002), though pressures on the licence fee no doubt have squeezed budgets...

8 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

In all my years of playing, I’ve never got a penny out of the BBC. 😠 

I've made quite a bit. All in writers PRS royalties, but the money ultimately comes from the BBC from what they pay the PRS.

That's why it's always financially better to be a songwriter/composer than just a musician.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I've made quite a bit. All in writers PRS royalties, but the money ultimately comes from the BBC from what they pay the PRS.

That's why it's always financially better to be a songwriter/composer than just a musician.

To be fair I’ve never played for the bbc.

• Haha 1