Why become a member? ×

December Composition Challenge

lurksalot

🎄 December Cover Song Challenge 🎄

As is tradition, we're doing something a bit different for December... so instead of composing to a photo, we're running a covers competition. Basically, choose a song or instrumental that you like and write your own version of it. You can be faithful to the original or completely ruin it get creative; the choice is yours.

All of the usual rules apply with a few additional caveats:

• It doesn't have to be a Christmas song.
  • You're welcome to submit anything recorded this year (not just from December), so there's no excuse for those of you in cover bands not to enter.
  • Don't go lifting any samples from whatever song you intend to cover, as that will breach the usual terms and conditions leading to extreme punitive measures.
  • This is the only time of year that bagpipes are allowed! But that still doesn't make them right.

The deadline for entries is midnight on December 24th.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

• lurksalot pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic

Here is my contribution to the December 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, a 'special' Christmas theme of any Cover recorded this year..!
This is a rehearsal of one of the songs we have in our (The Daub'z...) wide-ranging repertoire. It's our version of 'Tant De Nuits', by the very excellent, sadly late, Alain Bashung. The French lyrics are given below, for those interested.
We are a five-piece; Singer, guitar, keys, bass and drums. This was recorded 'live', multi-tracked, in our micro-studio (it's really Our Eldest's attic quarters, but we can dream, can't we..?). One take, shared mics and much 'bleed', so it's a rough mix, with no overdubs or editing. Mixed in Reaper (what else..?), with a smattering of Ozone and Cockos presets as 'polish'. 
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Tant De Nuits

Alain Bashung

Mon ange, je t'ai haïe
Je t'ai laissée aimer d'autres que moi
Un peu plus loin qu'ici
Mon ange, je t'ai trahie
Tant de nuits alité
Que mon cœur a cessé
De me donner la vie
Si loin de moi
Si loin de moi
Si loin de moi
Des armées insolites
Et des ombres équivoques
Des fils dont on se moque
Et des femmes que l'on quitte
Des tristesses surannées
Des malheurs qu'on oublie
Des ongles un peu noircis
Mon ange, je t'ai punie
À tant me sacrifier
Icône idolâtrée
Immondices à la nuit
Mon ange, je t'ai haïz
Je t'ai laissée tuer
Nos jeunesses ébauchées
Le reste de nos vies
Si loin de moi
Si loin de moi
Si loin de moi
Si loin de moi
Des armées insolites
Et des ombres équivoques
Des fils dont on se moque
Et des femmes que l'on quitte
Des tristesses surannées
Des malheurs qu'on oublie
Mon ange, je t'ai haïe
Mon ange, je t'ai haïe
Mon ange, je t'ai haïe
Mon ange, je t'ai haïe
Mon ange, je t'ai haïe

• Like 4

Quick off the blocks there sir !

Oddly, I really enjoyed the piece. That's 'oddly' as in , not my normal listening, as opposed to it being just odd. ☺️

Also made me realise how much my French vocabulary has declined over the last few years. Hooray for Collins Robert !! (Although this has seen better days. it has many pages missing, tea stained etc...).

Edited by fingers211
  • Thanks 1

It’s mad , as I’m a mod in this part of the forum and as I have entered this competition and been involved with it from close on the start , you’ll think I’d know this  was going to crop up in December , and now , just now , I’ve had an idea !

forget the idea I had about doing the Roy castle ‘record breakers’ song about dedication and rewording it procrastination ........., it is way too hard , I’ve had another one :facepalm:

“My entry for the December Basschat competition is a cover of a ditty that first hit our screens in Jan 2016. A few of you folk may remember the image !
During the original recording, the main ‘artiste’ had to nip out, and we had a bit of fun with his tune. Unfortunately, I had to fly to NZ before finishing my parts, and by the time I had returned the bugger had released his version.
Then, out of the blue, I received the original takes in the post. Judging by the attached letter, I’m guessing they were from a (ex?) fan of his! I have left some of the original in, and added a few bits, here and there.”
Listening to both now, I much prefer the original. Thanks Rikki B !!

All guitars, (telecaster,t-bird and squire), all vocals and keys by my own admission. Mt drums try to keep it tidy. Cobbled together in reaper through a focusrite.

• Like 2

On 07/12/2020 at 17:47, Doctor J said:

Soundcloud links are playable in a browser so always handy to have them like that with some consistency when it comes to posting the voting threads

Christmas fairy 'nuff. Hopefully it won't get pinged for rights.

A silly 2 minutes decided on a week ago. Guide created same night. Redone guitars the night after. Vocals the next. Changed the key. Redid the guitars & vocals. Final guitar & drum track then mix last night. Job's a good'un. We're getting quicker at this after 9 months of lockdown 😁

Not exactly our normal fare but hey ho (EDIT or even hey HO HO HO) Tomorrow the video, before hospital

Now with video 😁

Edited by WalMan
to add a bit :) to add a bit more
  • Like 6

Earlier this year (first lockdown) I contributed a bassline to a cover being put together by the owners of Big Stir Records in California (we did a couple of digital singles for them)

This has been released, but there are some bits I wanted to change (some of the vocal harmonies were just plain weird) so it's getting some tweaks and should be up by the end of next weekend.

On 07/12/2020 at 10:58, fingers211 said:

“My entry for the December Basschat competition is a cover of a ditty that first hit our screens in Jan 2016. A few of you folk may remember the image !
During the original recording, the main ‘artiste’ had to nip out, and we had a bit of fun with his tune. Unfortunately, I had to fly to NZ before finishing my parts, and by the time I had returned the bugger had released his version.
Then, out of the blue, I received the original takes in the post. Judging by the attached letter, I’m guessing they were from a (ex?) fan of his! I have left some of the original in, and added a few bits, here and there.”
Listening to both now, I much prefer the original. Thanks Rikki B !!

All guitars, (telecaster,t-bird and squire), all vocals and keys by my own admission. Mt drums try to keep it tidy. Cobbled together in reaper through a focusrite.

Haha I wasn't expecting to see this when I popped into this thread. 😂

I really enjoyed that - loved it.

I need to get back into recording...

• Haha 1

Earlier this year, during lockdown, I was asked if I'd like to contribute bass to an online collaboration with California Power Pop record label Big Stir Records' bosses Rex Broome and Christina Bulbenko, and friends (as their alter ego band The Yes It Is!)
Full credits are:
Rex Broome - Guitar, Vocals
Christina Bulbenko - Keyboards, vocals
Larysa Bulbenko - Violin/viola, vocals
Dolph Chaney - Lead guitar, vocals
Karen Basset - Drums
Blake Jones - Backing vocals on chorus
Jules Moss - fretless bass

Mixed by Peter Watts of Spygenius

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
  • Like 4

After having approximately 365 days notice of this challenge , I’ve had an idea :D

4 days to do it might prove impossible , but I’ve finished for chrimbo , Mrs Lurks wants to do the shopping , I seem to have secured some recording time , this might not end well but it’s worth a go 

see you on, or at , the deadline .....hopefully 9_9

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lurksalot said:

After having approximately 365 days notice of this challenge , I’ve had an idea :D

4 days to do it might prove impossible , but I’ve finished for chrimbo , Mrs Lurks wants to do the shopping , I seem to have secured some recording time , this might not end well but it’s worth a go 

1 hour ago, NickD said:

I have figured out a way of upping the average quality of submissions to this months comp.... by not making a submission myself! 🤣

C'mon, do it, do it! Bash one out (oo-er, missus) as quick as poss. Anyhow, I should really be getting on with mine instead of idling here. Toodle pip.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lurksalot said:

2 hours ago, NickD said:

I have figured out a way of upping the average quality of submissions to this months comp.... by not making a submission myself! 🤣

Have neither of you got summit, anything, on hand recorded in the year past..? Nowt..? Rien..? :scratch_one-s_head:Go on..! Look harder, under the cushions, behind the fridge, your trouser turn-ups ... -_-

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Have neither of you got summit, anything, on hand recorded in the year past..? Nowt..? Rien..? :scratch_one-s_head:Go on..! Look harder, under the cushions, behind the fridge, your trouser turn-ups ... -_-

Sadly not , the only stuff I have recorded is based on the monthly challenges , but fear not , I am practicing a truncated acapella version of Wagner’s ring cycle , with me doing all the parts.......with a slight caveat ...

I am not doing any singing and it’s not Wagner’s ring cycle 😎

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Nowt, nada, nichts here. I've not covered anything for years. Sitting down to play or record it never occurs to me to play anything by someone else.

• Like 1

OK I'm done, well , short , sweet? well you can decide but surprisingly on topic , 

I thought of a well renowned and respected bass player in a mahoosive band and well took inspiration ,  and then , you know , went awry 9_9

Flea  with a sombrero 

1756643579_spanishFlea.jpg.952c379ac31b77a83cec288b2996e566.jpg

• Like 3

Just under the wire (because I was hard at work, not because I forgot...) - a cover I've wanted to do for a long time and it has other destinations but I may as well confuse and annoy you all with it too.

For me, the top tier in the steaming parfait of festering, toxic s**t that was 2020 was the return of Tim Smith (Cardiacs) to whatever plane of reality he came from. This is my anemic homage -

Vocals, piano bit and other ideas by my girlfriend -- Elen McKeever Garay

Wireless (Cardiacs)

• Like 1