Why become a member? ×

FFS! Seriously!.

Silky999

So changing the strings on my 1989 Ibanez SR800, the saddle for D string has cracked across the securing hex bolt and is in big piece and a little piece. It’s an Omni-Adjust/GOTOH 206 4 string bridge in black which isn’t made any more and hasn’t for some years so I can’t find a direct replacement bridge or saddle. I have managed to secure the saddle back down but it’s not going to last.

Any suggestions for a replacement bridge?  The original has an unusual screw pattern so I’m struggling to find a direct drop in.

I’m happy to consider Hipshot, Schaller, GOTOH or anything else that fits the bill

7A1FB947-95DB-486B-85B1-E572B150FA62.thumb.jpeg.267e24c6c3b5a585084f9475728d2b9a.jpeg

Is the original top loading or string through body? Assuming the former, you could, if you don't mind drilling an extra hole or two, replace the bridge with something different. As long as you ensure it sits parallel to where the original does and use one with the same string spacing or saddles that adjust laterally, it should work fine.

8 minutes ago, owen said:

I had one of those and it did exactly the same thing. It came off the bass pretty quickly. I gave the spare parts to @silverfoxnik about 15 years ago. It is DEEPLY unlikely that he still has them, but you know that we are all hoarders.............................

Well remembered @owen! 😊

I don't think I have any of those parts left but I'll have a look tomorrow just in case...

• Haha 1

I’ve never used the width adjustment so standard 19mm would be ok.

I agree the Omni adjust/206 is brilliant bridge with loads of adjustments. I suspect that years of over tightening the saddle lock screw has weakened the metal. It’s done well considering it’s 31 years old.

if anyone has a spare saddle/same bridge that they’re looking to sell?

I’ll try the cold weld first then if that doesn’t work, another bridge. 

This is the bass so you can see why I’d rather fix the existing bridge than change it. If I did change it would have to be same dimensions or slightly larger to cover any mismatched screw holes. 

the Hipshot transtone is a contender, any one had any experience of that one?

The Accucast b500 looks good as well

5A3EAD9B-88A4-4020-860D-B064673CC34B.thumb.jpeg.a89416dcf08ae0c927fa81c8e338f3d4.jpeg

Edited by Silky999

I think the 206 was fitted to a lot of SGC Nanyo Bass Collection basses. My 325 has a gold one, I think the 310 has a black one but my son has borrowed it so it isn't around to check. This definitely applies to the Japanese models, not sure about the later Korean or Chinese models.

I don't have any spares for this, but one of the serial Bass Collection hackers might be able to help you out. Maybe @TheGreek knows someone? Or you could try the 'Build Diaries' forum .

Edited by pete.young

I emailed GOTOH directly and they replied that the production for the 206 finished 25 years ago and they didn’t have any spares or old models lying around. They also said that none of their current saddles are compatible. Oh the joys of owning an older bass.

Meanwhile I did what Acebassmusic suggested with some cold weld glue and the repair seems to be holding. The bridge is back together and all seems to be working as it should. It not like it’s getting adjusted daily so fingers crossed. I have also ordered an Accu cast B500 from Indonesia just in case the repair doesn’t last. Ibanez bridges seem to be like rocking horse s**t! 

Edited by Silky999
  • Like 1

On 03/12/2020 at 09:08, pete.young said:

I think the 206 was fitted to a lot of SGC Nanyo Bass Collection basses. My 325 has a gold one, I think the 310 has a black one but my son has borrowed it so it isn't around to check. This definitely applies to the Japanese models, not sure about the later Korean or Chinese models.

I don't have any spares for this, but one of the serial Bass Collection hackers might be able to help you out. Maybe @TheGreek knows someone? Or you could try the 'Build Diaries' forum .

It does look like the bridge from one of the early Nanyos.

As we all know the quality of the parts went down hill over time resulting in them having BBOT bridges.

Wish I had a spare one of the originals.

It was this;

014012BC-E590-4782-8339-14518123863F.jpeg.ac60562830d478c46da8a8631d451c6f.jpeg

mix it 1:1 but takes 4-6 hours to go off then about 12-15 hrs to fully cure so wouldn’t work on something that needed to stick together quickly to hold in place if you get what I mean. Simple enough to use and you can sand it, drill it, tap it etc. Put plenty on then sanded and filed into shape when cured.