Why become a member? ×

First 5 string recommendations?

maidens97

Hi all, been looking into buying a 5 string sometime soon as it make playing some of my bands new material a lot easier. I’ve no opportunity to try any out due to where I live and COVID. I’ve only ever really played Jazz basses so would like something with a similar neck. The obvious choice would just be a 5 string jazz but I’ve heard that they’re often very lackluster so thought I’d ask the experts here!

In my experience, very few 5-string basses have anything remotely like a Jazz neck, much as I would like one like that.

For some reason, adding the 5th string seems to result in more additional width than you'd expect. 

My Status Streamline is 40mm across the nut, so that's crudely a 10mm gap between strings, and that's the narrowest of the 5s that I own.

• Like 1

There's little wrong with the current crop of 5 string jazzes, but you're looking at 18-19mm spacing, as with a 4 string. That's my preference anyway, but basses I've not got on with because the spacing is tighter, would probably be closer to what you're looking for neck-wise. Ibanez SR are 16.5, and the necks feel fast and skinny, Warwicks are the same as standard (except the broadnecks), but adjustable to about 17mm at a push. Spectors come in about 17mm too.

Harley Benton MM85a if you want an active 5er with 2 humbuckers and a 5 way selector switch.. about 180 quid. Or for about £120 an MB5 sb for a single humbucker, passive version. Have a look on Thomann. I went for the MM85a as it was to be my only 5,  so I wanted the extra tonal options. £177 for a punt was well worth it

IMG_20201004_084316.jpg

Edited by P-Belly Evans
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Sire fivers are good, but they're neither the lightest nor smallest basses around.

The mark 1 Sires have quite a round fretboard radius which I found quite a struggle with small hands. The mark 2's have a flatter profile (although not the mahogany ones) so be aware of this if you're buying online.

My first 5 was a Yamaha 415  which I still have , i too mainly play jazzes and I was quite surprised how easy the Yamaha was to play, the nut is only 42mm I think, I can check if you want , and it’s pretty slim front to back, which I like , they are a great bass and very good value for money 🙂

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

What budget should we be limiting ourselves to, and you okay buying used?

I wouldn't really want to spend anymore on it than my main bass costed as I won't be using it nearly as much. so I guess £500 or less 

I shouldn't worry about the neck profile too much. There are bigger issues with playing a 5; namely: damping, fingering patterns and relearning coordination between the string you fret and the string you pluck!  For one thing, with a five you can play most things higher up the neck, so though the neck is wider, the frets are closer together.

Main probem i found with buying a 5 was finding one whose B string didn't sound like it was a different instrument from the other 4 strings (fenders and rays included to an extent).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, maidens97 said:

I wouldn't really want to spend anymore on it than my main bass costed as I won't be using it nearly as much. so I guess £500 or less 

That's a really helpful steer.

I started a similar journey on here a few years back: Best 5 string bass you've ever owned and why? - Bass Guitars - Basschat

I actually ended up getting a Yamaha BB 1025, partly based on lots of positive recommendations from other BC'ers. I've ended up with several other 5ers, but despite getting regularly asked whether I might be thinking of moving it on, my 1025 is firmly entrenched in my herd. A used one in very good condition should be within your budget. The Yammy has 18mm string spacing but a very comfortable neck. It's a purely passive bass but nevertheless a just lovely PJ and will easily go toe to toe with basses costing several times as much. 

Yamaha BB1025 Mk2.JPG

The other 5er I would heartily recommend, which might be just above your price bracket used, is an Ibby SR Premium with big single Nord pups. Light (< 9lbs), immensely playable fast neck - partly due to the narrower 16.5mm string spacing. The Ibby SRs are active with a very decent 3 band EQ including selectable mid centres, but with a passive switch setting too (which is always a nice back up if the battery dies mid gig!). The model I have is an Ibanez SR 1825 which is the middle one: 

Ibanez SRs! (Sep 2019).jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, maidens97 said:

The Harley Benton was bought as a mere curiosity for me. I'd never played a 5, didn't really need one, but thought hey ho would lile to see what it's all about. That's why I paid peanuts. It feels like a much much better instrument than 177 quid though, so I am a happy bunny

I'd say a Yamaha BB.  I had the BB425 and found it hard to fault as a five string, the low B was good and strong.  The string spacing is just nice, too - not too tight at the nut or the bridge.  Too heavy, sadly, so I had to go elsewhere.  But Bas's 1025 would be a peach.

Having said that, I'd be very curious about a Harley Benton 5er.  

• Like 2

For your budget I’d be after a used Yamaha BB1025 or, if you can find one, a used BB735a for the active option.

Both really really nicely made basses with good tonal versatility - to be honest you won’t feel any need to “upgrade” from either of them for quite some time, if ever.

Edited by CameronJ

33 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

For your I’d be after a used Yamaha BB1025 or, if you can find one, a used BB735a for the active option.

Both really really nicely made basses with good tonal versatility - to be honest you won’t feel any need to “upgrade” from either of them for quite some time, if ever.

+1^^

Ignore the one on the left, next two are: 735A, and 1025:

Yamaha Tribe (20-10).jpg

• Like 2

I bought my first 5 string when I didn't have any other bass at the time - I tried out virtually everything available on the market at the time and the Stingray 5 got the job, as it were. I still have it and still use it, and actually since then I've got a further 3 variations on that theme.

However, i'd echo what other people have said here and my curiosity for a 4 string (I'd always had 4 strings prior to the 5) got the better of me when a stunning limited edition model was issued by Musicman and I bought an SR4HH version of it - which I also still have and use - so don't sell 4 strings - you'll probably want them back. 

The string spacing on the MM 5 string suits a lot of people very well (including me) - whilst others prefer the 19 mm spacing of some models - I'm afraid I find them an awful handful on a 5 string - unnecessarily wide in profile and thus difficult to play and mute suitably - but that's just me. 

If you want a cheaper Stingray 5 the SBMM Sub 5 is excellent for those on a budget and you can even get it with two humbuckers I believe - if I was looking for a budget version I'd go for that rather than other budget copies - in the same way many would go for a Squier version of a Fender in the same way, rather than other makes - just my view though 👍

Edited by drTStingray

Sire V7 is the bass with the best B string I've played at that price range and the 18mm spacing is comfortable for me. Although the Harley Bentons have a great rep for the 4 strings every demo of a 5 I've heard has had a low B that sounds like a risky fart so if you want to save money have a look at the Sire V3 @ around £300.

I picked up my V7 used for around that price though so that might be an option.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Haha 1