Why become a member? ×

Cover bands. Oh, woe.

NancyJohnson

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Would love to do originals, but there are a shortage of people doing prog around here, only original bands are rock bands around here, and at least with the covers you get to play something decent.

My experience of 45+ years of playing originals is that you can generally get to play the sort of music that you want if you are prepared to put in the effort. I might live in a large-ish city, but Nottingham is hardly a source of world-renowned artists in the way that Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield etc. are. The "vibrant" music scene only really exists in the heads of a few local journalists and those who think it starts and ends with Rock City and the associated DHP venues. I'm also not a brilliant technically adept player and I still manage to find bands originals bands that are interesting, entertaining and fun to be in and play with. IMO if I can do it just about anyone can.

I do have to admit that the originals band I was mostly referring to in my first post was one of those magical moments when all the "stars aligned", but I only got in that position by constantly working hard to be in the right place at the right time when the band formed.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I might live in a large-ish city, but Nottingham is hardly a source of world-renowned artists in the way that Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield etc. are.

I still have to travel over 50 miles to get near a city with anything like the population of Nottingham.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I still have to travel over 50 miles to get near a city with anything like the population of Nottingham.

Close neighbours, old chum. 200 kms for me (Nantes...) , and five times that for the next biggest (Nice...). Nearest 'big' town..? Population 12,000 (Mayenne...). :|

17 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Close neighbours, old chum. 200 kms for me (Nantes...) , and five times that for the next biggest (Nice...). Nearest 'big' town..? Population 12,000 (Mayenne...). :|

Around 17 years ago Mrs. LBM and I were thinking of moving to France to live, and got as far as visiting a couple of times to check out some of the regions we were interested in, including visits to a number of properties that might suit.

On a visit to the Burgundy region, we got taken to a property in what was described as a rural location. It turned out to be one of 2 or 3 properties on a hill in the middle of a forest. From the garden the view consisted of trees in every viewable direction as far as the eye could see. Not 200 km for sure, but you get the idea...

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

@leftybassman392 sounds like absolute paradise 

It was a beautiful scene (on the northern rim of the Massif Central if memory serves). Unfortunately the house we were shown was very run down and would have required a huge investment of time, energy and money (which we were not prepared to do).

Shortly thereafter the French government passed some protectionist property laws that pretty much put an end to the dream.

• Sad 1