Why become a member? ×

Cover bands. Oh, woe.

NancyJohnson

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Of course there's no question there are plenty of better bands out there, but these guys are at least making music rather than sitting on their ars*es doing f-all and have managed to pull together a multi-track recording during lockdown. Which is more than a lot of us have managed - including my two bands!

So if you happen to be reading this Cabana Room - good for you! Keep making music! 😎👍

Couldn't agree more and if anybody has been busy this year or wants to get started even a bit late , here is a good enough reason to do so :D

I didn't see the link so I don't know what the song was, but I'm curious what the OP has against cover bands. Does playing original music automatically make you not crap?

I've seen some pretty dire bands doing both, and I've been in a few myself. One thing they did all have in common was they were improving. With age comes maturity ( hopefully ) and it's been a long time since I've felt the need to sneer at other people for having a go.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BillyHunt said:

I didn't see the link so I don't know what the song was, but I'm curious what the OP has against cover bands. Does playing original music automatically make you not crap?

I've seen some pretty dire bands doing both, and I've been in a few myself. One thing they did all have in common was they were improving. With age comes maturity ( hopefully ) and it's been a long time since I've felt the need to sneer at other people for having a go.

It wasn't the music per se, it was the garish flashing visuals that offended the eye. 

12 hours ago, BillyHunt said:

Does playing original music automatically make you not crap?

In the minds of those who play it, yes. They exist on a higher plane of consciousness than the rest of us, you know. 

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, BillyHunt said:

See the 100 threads that cover that subject. There are a whole breadth of opinions between the extremes, most of them unreconcilable.

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

There is no original and there are no covers. 

There is just music. 

Indeed. Good and bad. I have heard exception and terrible both in originals and covers. It is easier to tell if a cover is a terrible cover than just a terrible original because you have something to compare it with. And obviously you can listen to a groups entire set and not have a clue if it was original or not (or in fact with a lot of bands, if they changed song at all). I used to do sales at tattoo conventions, I have had my fair share of those!