Why become a member? ×

NCD/Darkglass content.

NancyJohnson

14 hours ago, eude said:

A very good plan 🤘

How does it compare to other 12s, if you've had any before?

Eude

Comparisonwise, I'm obviously more tuned to comparing this against my existing kit (Barefaced Big One)...I purchased a pair of Aguilar 1x12s a couple of years ago and didn't like them so much, they were very whoompy, not much highend; the HF unit on the DG seems way better tuned to my desired tone (even with it virtually off, the enclosure sounds brighter than the Aguilars).  The cabinet is very light, 25lb or something, build and finish is top notch...so long as you look after it, it'll look after you.

Quickly ran through everything in my armoury.  A/O head, the dUg pedal into the return, active/passive basses, fours/fives.  The Darkglass kit certainly seems to favour active basses, my Spector sounds beautifully crunchy.

So, nothing negative to report at this point, I won't know how well it's going to perform in a band environment for some time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Comparisonwise, I'm obviously more tuned to comparing this against my existing kit (Barefaced Big One)...I purchased a pair of Aguilar 1x12s a couple of years ago and didn't like them so much, they were very whoompy, not much highend; the HF unit on the DG seems way better tuned to my desired tone (even with it virtually off, the enclosure sounds brighter than the Aguilars).  The cabinet is very light, 25lb or something, build and finish is top notch...so long as you look after it, it'll look after you.

Quickly ran through everything in my armoury.  A/O head, the dUg pedal into the return, active/passive basses, fours/fives.  The Darkglass kit certainly seems to favour active basses, my Spector sounds beautifully crunchy.

So, nothing negative to report at this point, I won't know how well it's going to perform in a band environment for some time.

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated.
The reason I ask about a comparison is the only 1x12 cab I really loved was an Aguilar GS112, with the tweeter. I seemed to kick out a lot of low end for its size. I paired it with a MarkBass LittleMark, but hearing a pair powered by an original AG500 left me weak at the knees! I moved mine on as I needed something smaller, more portable, as it was a bit of a lump and I didn't need massive volume by any means. I do miss it though.

What model of Aguilar 1x12s did you have?

Eude

2 hours ago, eude said:

What model of Aguilar 1x12s did you have?

Eude

I had a pair of SL112s for a short time.  I can't remember what I was feeding into them...it was definitely a Matrix stereo power amp, would have been a Sansamp BDDI or the dUg feeding that.

They looked the nuts and I'd concur with you in that if you're looking for loads of low end from a small enclosure, then the Aguilars have that in spades.  I wondered whether the tweeters were working at one point...they were, but they were very, very subtle; the output just didn't seem to go high enough within the overall cabinet output for me (if this makes sense); they could have been a bit louder.   I used them for one rehearsal, went back to the Barefaced and sold them on.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I had a pair of SL112s for a short time.  I can't remember what I was feeding into them...it was definitely a Matrix stereo power amp, would have been a Sansamp BDDI or the dUg feeding that.

They looked the nuts and I'd concur with you in that if you're looking for loads of low end from a small enclosure, then the Aguilars have that in spades.  I wondered whether the tweeters were working at one point...they were, but they were very, very subtle; the output just didn't seem to go high enough within the overall cabinet output for me (if this makes sense); they could have been a bit louder.   I used them for one rehearsal, went back to the Barefaced and sold them on.

Awesome, all good info dude, thank you.
I know the SL 12s are a lot more pokey and mid range focussed, compared to the now discontinued GS ones. The GS come across a bit scooped with lots of low end and sparkle, but I managed to get out of it what I wanted and I like mids. I guess it's not fair to compare to Barefaced cabs in a lot of cases, as it's just not like for like. If the DarkGlass 1x12 stands up though, that's quite an endorsement!

Eude