Why become a member? ×

Bitsa parts list...

uk_lefty

So, for the benefit of my mental health (!!! This could go either way!!!) I'm going to build a bitsa. The wife and I discussed it last night. I'm working, I'm very lucky to have a job that allows working at home, but I have to admit it being a bit full on to go from being woken up early every morning by my kids, once they're sorted I work, then when I can finish in the evening I've immediately got the kids until they're in bed and I'm exhausted. I don't get much time to myself and I'm someone who cannot mentally rest. For me mentally resting is turning my attention to something else, other than work or family stuff. So... A bitsa it is. 

I've found a supplier who will make me a lefty bass body with whatever routing I want. I have found a few neck suppliers but am veering towards trying to find a second hand neck from a reliable brand (E.g. A Fender or Squier neck unmolested, or an Allparts, Mighty Mite or Brandoni...) and I'm OK having a righty neck. 

I need to put together a parts shopping list so I can slowly but surely build up the bits I need to put this together. I've had a go below but would welcome any input:

Body (finishing materials?) 

Neck (finishing may be required?) 

Nut

Tuners

String guide

Neck screws and neck plate

Pickups

Shielding tape or paint

Wiring loom (has to be a solderless Kiogon doesn't it?!) 

Bridge

Strap buttons 

Cover for rear route with screws 

Strings and strap

• Like 1

Sounds like a good plan - worked out for me - I've nearly finished a build with similar motivations. Shout out for axesrus - great for all the bits and super quick.

Do you need a pickguard? Control plate?

33 minutes ago, Rexel Matador said:

For finishing the Crimson Guitars stains and oils are nice.

Agreed - I got a nice finish from the penetrating oil - feels really nice on the neck. I went with allparts and ended up with a chunky PJMO neck which has a profile I'd not normally touch, but actually feels/sounds great.

One of the many things that I've enjoyed about it is the chance to try stuff out and really listen at all stages of the builkd and decide for my self on things like the influence of wood on the final sound, do pickups really effect the sound that much? what value capacitor sounds best for tone roll off and stuff like that. Somethings to think about and explore.

Good luck with it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rexel Matador said:

You'll need knobs.

Long story short... I sold a bass to someone who didn't want it, he returned it to me but had nicked the knobs!! 

1 hour ago, bloke_zero said:

Do you need a pickguard? Control plate?

I'm waiting for the body supplier to get back to me but I'm after a rear routed jazz body set up for a PJ config. Would like to not have a bell plate or pick guard ideally. However, they do standard P and J bodies for a good rate so if they can't do my wacky idea then I'll have to just go for the ordinary 

Well... I've bought a jinwan neck today. Heard good reviews of them on BC. Now I need a body. There's an ebay seller in the UK who says he can make anything, I'm after a J body but rear routed and PJ pickup config. It might be a bit ambitious at this stage and I want to keep costs down in case of a mess up. I may have to reign myself in. Am I thinking right that on a J bass with the really big wide route out for the neck pickup I may be able to fit a P pickup in there? 

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Well... I've bought a jinwan neck today. Heard good reviews of them on BC. Now I need a body. There's an ebay seller in the UK who says he can make anything, I'm after a J body but rear routed and PJ pickup config. It might be a bit ambitious at this stage and I want to keep costs down in case of a mess up. I may have to reign myself in. Am I thinking right that on a J bass with the really big wide route out for the neck pickup I may be able to fit a P pickup in there? 

I admit I haven't actually tried it myself, but those I've seen look too narrow for a P pickup - though they may vary. I think it would also be closer to the neck than the regular P position.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rexel Matador said:

I admit I haven't actually tried it myself, but those I've seen look too narrow for a P pickup - though they may vary. I think it would also be closer to the neck than the regular P position.

I think I won't end up with a jazz body PJ sadly, either a P bodied PJ or a 51 P bass... Mulling over my options before I order... 

have you considered getting an un-routed jazz body and then getting one of the incredibly talented people in the build diaries section to put in the control and pickup routs?

the people making the standard bodies should be able to supply a blank body by just pulling it out of production at the right time

Matt

2 hours ago, Matt P said:

have you considered getting an un-routed jazz body and then getting one of the incredibly talented people in the build diaries section to put in the control and pickup routs?

the people making the standard bodies should be able to supply a blank body by just pulling it out of production at the right time

Matt

Hi Matt, I could do that... Thing is, I'm looking for something I can do entirely myself. I'm very kack handed with DIY so a simple screw together of pre bought components and some final set up should be sufficiently challenging. I've also sunk a lot of money in to a knackered 80s bass recently in having other people do various bits and I have no way of knowing if it will ever work let alone recover its value. So for now I'm thinking to keep it simple, it will be hard enough as it is! I think my imagination ran away a bit, when really I should just be doing a single pickup bass and that should keep me busy enough, frustrated, and perplexed. Anything more complex will blow my mind and my wallet!