Why become a member? ×

Simple eq examples

Little Dragon

On 04/12/2020 at 16:25, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The problem there is that pretty much nothing is flat. Just as with tone this applies to every link in the chain. If you did somehow manage to actually get flat response it would be as appealing as flat beer. Skunky flat beer at that.

I got close once. 

I "cheated" using a phone app designed to compensate for individual perception of frequency response through headphones. I plugged it into my amp head instead!

Fortunately, it produces a visual curve and balances itself around 0dB so as to give no overall gain),  which I managed to replicate relatively well on the 13 band graphic in my Trace Elliot amp. 

End result? Really rather good. Presumably because it negated (or at least minimised) any amp/cab voicing, room modes, and other interactions like boundary reinforcement. 

It certainly "cleaned up" my tone. It was ultimately a bit lean- sounding,  so I left the amp alone and nudged the bass up/mid down a little using the instrument's EQ (I'd started with that "flat", too)

I'd even use it live,  but I doubt anyone would thank me for running a series of test-tones through a bass amp at gig- levels while we're setting up....

Flat (In any given circumstance) isn't so bad a place to start. If you can a) find it and b) it doesn't take radical amounts of EQ to achieve it.

• Like 1

On 04/12/2020 at 16:25, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The problem there is that pretty much nothing is flat. Just as with tone this applies to every link in the chain. If you did somehow manage to actually get flat response it would be as appealing as flat beer. Skunky flat beer at that.

I recently did a frequency response sweep on both my Bugera Veyron and Ashdown Mibass 2.0 and both were flat with all EQ set to 12 o'clock. The only difference was that (from memory) the built in HPFs were quite different.

Flat can be tricky; in my experience when amps are set at at noon on all EQ controls it is sound/tone designer wanted using various popular Basses and speakers including their own. There are outlier's whom have 2-10-2 as flat so when you have controls at noon you get Scooped sound a pleasing tone when used solo like in shops when auditioning and controversial for live full band use. 

When auditioning amps for me I like to find an amp with balanced overall frequency [to my ears]  with good clarity[articulate] and coherence with a tone I like set flat per manufacture with my Bass. That also is accurate enough to let you hear the difference in Speakers and Bass's.

I then mostly keep controls Flat and mainly use Technique and small adjustments on my Bass EQ or tone control to adjust tone preference for song's and subtle adjustments for room. [can use pedals also] Not fond of drastic baked in sound that makes all basses and speakers sound similar with dominant baked sound even if it's a pleasing one.

Also important is an amp that can keep its overall balanced sound at Gig volumes; many change their character drastically when pushed.  

Edited by Nebadon2000
spelling

I play in a classic covers band and as I am essentially lazy and always pressed for time I like to start with everything at noon (amp and bass). It should sound “ not bad”. Then I make small tweaks to suit the situation. With my GK mb500 and Eden D210xst this usually gives a tight, slightly mid-scooped sound with too much treble and not enough high mids. Roll off the treble, a small boost of high mids and bass, and a small low-mid cut and I’m set. Usually the eq controls of my amp are between 11 and 1 o’clock, except the treble at 9 o’clock.

In my opinion, a good quality modern  SS head into a good cabinet will rarely need extreme eq. Tube amps, however, seem to be completely different beasts.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nebadon2000 said:

Flat can be tricky; in my experience when amps are set at at noon on all EQ controls it is sound/tone designer wanted using various popular Basses and speakers including their own. There are outlier's whom have 2-10-2 as flat so when you have controls at noon you get Scooped sound a pleasing tone when used solo like in shops when auditioning and controversial for live full band use. 

When auditioning amps for me I like to find a amp with balanced overall frequency [to my ears]  with good clarity[articulate] and coherence with a tone I like set flat per manufacture with my Bass. That also is accurate enough to let you hear the difference in Speakers and Bass's.

I then mostly keep controls Flat and mainly use Technique and small adjustments on my Bass EQ or tone control to adjust tone preference for song's and subtle adjustments for room. [can use pedals also] Not found of drastic baked in sound that makes all basses and speakers sound similar with dominant baked sound even if it's a pleasing one.

Also important is an amp that can keep its overall balanced sound at Gig volumes; many change their character drastically when pushed.  

You are right the with all controls at half pot travel, many amps are not flat, my point was that the two main amps I use are both ruller flat to the extremes of their frequency responses, although both exhibit low end roll off (An HPF). I agree that sound changes as an amp is pushed but we have several things in play then. Apart form the amp, the speakers change chariteristics when pushed harder and our own ears react differently to different SPLs as identified in the Fletcher-Munson Curves.

• Like 1

My personal fave EQ which worked best on my MarkBass but has translated OK to other heads goes like this in o'clock positions:

Bass 12, Low mids 11, Mid mids 10, Hi mids 9, Treble 8

Awesome for me but YMMV

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

On 26/12/2020 at 00:54, Nebadon2000 said:

On 27/12/2020 at 04:37, Beer of the Bass said:

It's useful to at least know roughly where "flat" is on an amp or preamp, if only so you don't accidentally apply two lots of mid scoop and then wonder why your sound doesn't cut through. (Or too much low end boost, etc).

Dead set.

50w tube amp didn't work out at gig volume when it was lovely at rehearsals. Booo.

'Fender' 3 EQ knobs are not my cup of tea. No control on mids when they have to be maxed just to be flat. 2 10 2 on the zero to 10 style knobs is 'flat'.