Why become a member? ×

Backbeat

Twigman

I’ve got some custom cables coming which will make it easier to plug in my bass and outgoing device in when wearing the strap. One is basically a patch lead to reach the instrument output and the other is a female Jack extender so I can easily connect my backbeat output to my amp or whatever is next in the chain. It can be a bit of a tangle otherwise as you need to connect it all up before putting the strap on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ped said:

I’ve got some custom cables coming which will make it easier to plug in my bass and outgoing device in when wearing the strap. One is basically a patch lead to reach the instrument output and the other is a female Jack extender so I can easily connect my backbeat output to my amp or whatever is next in the chain. It can be a bit of a tangle otherwise as you need to connect it all up before putting the strap on.

I made myself some patch cables like you have suggested here, with a slight change. Right angled jack at the guitar end into a straight jack for the Backbeat, and the other cable is a straight jack to a locking female jack that my normal guitar cable plugs into. I also have a lovely pink hair band that I feed the cables through to keep them attached to the strap! 😂

• Like 1

I really enjoyed using mine on the few iem gigs we played before COVID killed off live music and it’s a useful addition to quiet practice in the wee small hours to ‘feel’ things a bit more with the headphones in!. It’s great to have the physical feedback when playing iem and It’s reassuringly powerful/feels quite secure on my strap. Certainly worth trying out if you get the chance!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Higgie said:

I made myself some patch cables like you have suggested here, with a slight change. Right angled jack at the guitar end into a straight jack for the Backbeat, and the other cable is a straight jack to a locking female jack that my normal guitar cable plugs into. I also have a lovely pink hair band that I feed the cables through to keep them attached to the strap! 😂

Gonna need pics of that! Locking female Jack sounds like a good idea. I might copy. And the hair band! I was thinking about heat shrinking the cables together to keep it neat.

7 hours ago, knicknack said:

I haven't got a strap to hand but here's how I've got it set up, with the Shure GLX transmitter and a mini-cable loom...

IMG_8588.JPG

Looks great - have you tried feeding the stage mix into the input via the receiver? 

I had to put my backbeat in charge last night for the first time - it’s lasted ages! Decided to put it on my comfort strapp because it’s easier to get on and off the bass with the Dunlop locks.  

7 hours ago, Higgie said:

For your female extension did you get an unbalanced cable or a stereo one? 

3 hours ago, ped said:

Gonna need pics of that! Locking female Jack sounds like a good idea. I might copy. And the hair band! I was thinking about heat shrinking the cables together to keep it neat.

The cables are taped together, and then fed through the hairband and a small leather strap to keep them attached to the guitar strap. I’ve been looking for a better way to do it, but in the meantime this has been working fine!

235435D9-3B81-4852-A3DB-AC8DC77B0F16.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

For your female extension did you get an unbalanced cable or a stereo one? 

The locking jack is TRS, but I just used standard unbalanced guitar cable and only soldered the Tip and Sleeve connections.

Edited by Higgie
  • Like 1

On 19/01/2021 at 23:06, stewblack said:

I too am a convert to feeling the bass. However my set up is extremely Heath Robinson. 

How did the seat saga end up? The last I remember the driver unit had cooked itself. Was the idea persued or shelved? 

4 hours ago, Maude said:

How did the seat saga end up? The last I remember the driver unit had cooked itself. Was the idea persued or shelved? 

I have sourced some non cooking resonators, but they don't kick out the same oomph as the seat melting one did. I have two, but intend to add two more once I am confident of my parallel /series ohm calculations. 

That way I ought to be back to my backside rumbling best. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Well I'll be.... through some deft marketplace activity and more than a little creative accounting I have been closing in on the  backbeat cash. 

Then up comes a bass that I didn't know I needed 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

Try a wanted ad here, too

4 hours ago, ped said:

As soon as I can get down to accessorise I’m getting that and some glitter 

Looks great man! Much better than my solution. Definitely going to modify mine to be more like yours. Maybe retire the hairband. Maybe.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I just bought a Slapstrap(tm) from a great basschatter. I had one of these fantastic straps back in about 2005 and have no idea what happened to it. It’s perfect for the backbeat because the clips are covered by the section of the strap which opens to allow the placement of the Velcro ‘tail’ - a feature which makes the strap really adjustable. 

I tried the same sort of thing with a Comfort Strapp but the neoprene section between the backbeat and body absorbed too much of the vibration so this is a great middle ground 👍🏼

D35EFEB3-DE23-425B-AAA8-4B5434186DF6.jpeg

E06C361E-9C09-4C5E-9DD2-A61562F9F797.jpeg

• Like 3