Why become a member? ×

Maru first build - question of width nut

Maleco

Hi everyone,

I am currently finalizing my order at Maruszczyk. An Elwood C 5 strings. The order is almost finalized, it only remains to make the payment but suddenly, I am wondering about the width at the nut.

I am very hesitant between 45mm (1,775') and 48mm (1,875') (the two options offered at maruszczyk). I have pretty big hands but I'm very hesitant to see that the vast majority of people take 45mm. Know that in terms of width at the bridge I want 19mm to facilitate the slap and not to change my PB and JB 4 strings.

Unfortunately, the only 5-string basses that I tested are Fender and especially a Squier JB, so with a nut width of 48mm (1,875 '). But I hear everyone telling me that 45mm (1,775') is really a lot more comfortable and a lot less tiring ... I don't know what to think ...

Do you have any advice for me?

Best regards,
Edited by Maleco

I prefer 42mm P bass nuts and have found 44mm to be too much for me. 
I got my first 5 string, a Lakland which has a 46mm nut and it’s an effortless switch for me from 4string (with a 36mm of 41mm nut) 

admittedly that is a wee bit wider than marus. narrow option.  

Anybody have an elwood 5 with 48mm nut width ? Just to see the "curve" of the neck who's very important for me (i like the "straight" necks).  😉

It's hard to find pictures on internet, all maruszczyk elwood i saw was with a 45mm nut width =( 

I think you are asking very specific questions that ultimately come down to taste... 
A better question would be - "I live in XX - does anyone near me have any five string basses I could come and try the nut width in a socially distanced way please?" 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Probably late to the party - I have a 5 string Maruszczyk fretless with a 48mm nut. I have small hands but chose this as my Fender 5 has the same. It does feel wider/bigger than the Fender - I’m not sure why, but it’s not a bad thing. If you haven’t already ordered, you can specify something different if you want in the comments or an email to Adrian.