Why become a member? ×

Dual momentary footswitch

fleabag

Some time ago now,  i asked about alternative  dual footswitches for a  Trace Elliot  graphic / pre-shape dual footswitch, thinking  the original TE job was a latching type, but was told by some folk a lot cleverer than me that the TE original is a momentary type.  The TE gurus like @TheGreek and @Deedee  and others,  know  the footswitch well...photo added, but would any dual momentary switch still work ?

I found these... but i'm not sure, and dont want to connect anything that could fack up the amp

The Bright Onion pedal has other options, which is confusing.  Check the Polarity drop down box to see what i mean

https://www.brightonion.co.uk/mini-dual-momentary-footswitch/

The Vein-tap one also has some Polarity options that i dont understand

https://www.vein-tap.com/product/skinny-little-twins-dual-momentary-footswitch/

And this Muslady Mosky looks to be the simplest of all and would be my favourite because of its simplicity.  And good price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Muslady-MOSKY-SWITCH-Footswitch-Switch/dp/B07GRP1S9L

TE.JPG

You’re right to be cautious. I’ve just tried the below latching footswitch with a Trs cable and button 2 works fine switching the mid-shape on and off (press once for on, press again for off), but button 1 has to be pressed twice for on and then twice for off.

687B2FB4-4F37-423D-AAD3-8FE0786BA47D.jpeg

Anyhoo I may be able to sort you out with an original Trace one. It’s been repaired in the past and looks as if it’s been rewired the wrong way around I.e. pressing graphic operates the mid-shape and vice-versa. I thought it just needed the internal blocks switching around but they’re handed where they mount to the chassis. Just needs the connections re-soldering to the correct blocks I’d have thought.

1CB5FA9B-5082-4FE8-A295-BBD7BA630A62.jpeg

Hi Dan :)

I wonder if thats because the switch should be momentary , and not latching like yours ?   I have no talent for electronics   :)

6 minutes ago, Deedee said:

You’re right to be cautious. I’ve just tried the below latching footswitch with a Trs cable and button 2 works fine switching the mid-shape on and off (press once for on, press again for off), but button 1 has to be pressed twice for on and then twice for off.

687B2FB4-4F37-423D-AAD3-8FE0786BA47D.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Anyhoo I may be able to sort you out with an original Trace one. It’s been repaired in the past and looks as if it’s been rewired the wrong way around I.e. pressing graphic operates the mid-shape and vice-versa. I thought it just needed the internal blocks switching around but they’re handed where they mount to the chassis. Just needs the connections re-soldering to the correct blocks I’d have thought.

1CB5FA9B-5082-4FE8-A295-BBD7BA630A62.jpeg

Cheers Dan,  but one of the reasons i like the look of the Mosky is the tiny footprint, and it will fit on the last small piece of  real estate left on my pedal board, whereas the TE will have to be placed on the floor.

Gesture appreciated though  !!

Just now, fleabag said:

Cheers Dan,  but one of the reasons i like the look of the Mosky is the tiny footprint, and it will fit on the last small piece of  real estate left on my pedal board, whereas the TE will have to be placed on the floor.

Gesture appreciated though  !!

No worries 👍

While i was thinking about things, i decided to email Mark Gooday, and got an answer within a couple of hours, and he reckons the Ashdown footswitch does the job.  I'm sure if anyone knows, he will,  but the Ashdown is apparently a dual latching , not dual momentary, so i;m wondering how this could work ?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-amps/electric-guitar-amp-accessories/amp-footswitches/ashdown-fs2-2-way-footswitch

Aside from that, its smaller than the original but not as small as the  Mosky

Edited by fleabag

Indeed Dan, i'm tempted at the price just to try it.  Assuming  the chaps in the old thread are correct and  the TE footswitch really is momentary,  ( no reason to believe otherwise )  then surely the Musky will work.

AS for the Ashdown latching footswitch working properly, i'm not totally at ease with that, judging by what happens with your own footswitch

@Deedee do you have access to a multimeter? that should allow you to test if the original one is momentary or latching, (and what the connections should be at the plug), this would confirm which switch is the right one for @fleabag. 

it looks like the original one has LED's to show status as well, it might not bother fleabag but it might be possible to modify one of the tiny options to give him LED's as well (and publishing the definitive answer on here will help the next poor soul that's looking for a smaller option for a footswitch)

Matt

20 minutes ago, Matt P said:

It looks like the original one has LED's to show status as well, it might not bother fleabag but it might be possible to modify one of the tiny options to give him LED's as well (and publishing the definitive answer on here will help the next poor soul that's looking for a smaller option for a footswitch)

LEDs on a non-latching footswitch are a good challenge. You need a circuit (maybe a flip-flop) to keep track of the status. I was looking into this when I built a 4-way switch, one latching, three momentary, for my Roland AC-60 acoustic guitar amp. I got as far as ordering some components but that wa as far as I got - didn't have a circuit that I believed in.

10 hours ago, Matt P said:

@Deedee do you have access to a multimeter? that should allow you to test if the original one is momentary or latching, (and what the connections should be at the plug), this would confirm which switch is the right one for @fleabag. 

I don’t I’m afraid ☹️

20 hours ago, Deedee said:

Intriguing. I’d say it’s worth a punt on the Mosky at £18 (plus the cable of course).

Watching with interest. 🤔

Punt taken  :)

Wont be here till late Dec /January ???  according to Amazon   :(

Maybe the builder grows them from seed

Edited by fleabag
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, pete.young said:

LEDs on a non-latching footswitch are a good challenge. You need a circuit (maybe a flip-flop) to keep track of the status. I was looking into this when I built a 4-way switch, one latching, three momentary, for my Roland AC-60 acoustic guitar amp. I got as far as ordering some components but that wa as far as I got - didn't have a circuit that I believed in.

yes, i admit that with momentary switches the LED's are much harder to implement but as this is an older design there is a chance that it would be possible to reverse engineer and retro fit to the new switch.

1 hour ago, Deedee said:

I don’t I’m afraid ☹️

any chance of some pictures of the circuits inside? i will admit that i've never had one of these in my hands. but i have reverse engineered a  footswitch once for a friends amp by borrowing the OEM one and tracing the internals. (it was pretty simple though)

54 minutes ago, Matt P said:

any chance of some pictures of the circuits inside? i will admit that i've never had one of these in my hands. but i have reverse engineered a  footswitch once for a friends amp by borrowing the OEM one and tracing the internals. (it was pretty simple though)

Here you go....

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

thanks for that @Deedee it seems that the footswitch you have is different to the one that was posted in the first post, this seems to just be switches with what looks like capacitors across the terminals and no LED's, so the one that @fleabag has ordered should work fine. i have made a search for other pictures or schematics and it just drew a blank.

Matt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Thinking laterally, Boss do a single momentary footswitch - the FS5U - which comes in modular format so you can slot two together to make a dual footswitch. You will need to make up a custom lead if it's just a TRS jack socket on the amp.

I think they also do a dual switch which allows you to change from latching to momentary individually on each switch:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/footswitches/boss-fs6-dual-foot-pedal

On 01/12/2020 at 20:20, fleabag said:

Punt taken  :)

Wont be here till late Dec /January ???  according to Amazon   :(

Maybe the builder grows them from seed

Delivered ahead of time - marvellous !

Didnt work  -  ballocks !

So maybe its not momentary.  Since Mark Gooday emailed saying their Ashdown  FS2 latching would do the job, i guess i'll be heading in that direction

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Delivered ahead of time - marvellous !

Didnt work  -  ballocks !

So maybe its not momentary.  Since Mark Gooday emailed saying their Ashdown  FS2 latching would do the job, i guess i'll be heading in that direction

Bugger! I know next to nothing on these things but what cable are you using? I think it needs to be a TRS jobbie (although I could be completely wrong).

• Like 1

what actually happens when you press the footswitch? does it switch then switch back when you release the button or does nothing happen? 

I am just going on my experience with a marshall (guitar) amp then needed a latching switch, when a non latching switch was used it would switch to the second channel as long as the button was pressed, switching back as soon as the button was released.

if it's not doing this then more investigation is needed. exact wiring of the switch or an issue with one of either switch/cable/amp.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...