Why become a member? ×

Relic Tele, p51, p54, basses

johnpaulbass

I spoke to Mark at Limelight about commissioning a Sting-style reliced 50s bass. Because it would require more unusual parts he said it would be easier if a few people wanted to order. We talked prices, and he seems up for doing it. I've been using a Limelight '66' P/J that he made me a few years ago and still love it!

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 13:58, Mike said:

I spoke to Mark at Limelight about commissioning a Sting-style reliced 50s bass. Because it would require more unusual parts he said it would be easier if a few people wanted to order. We talked prices, and he seems up for doing it. I've been using a Limelight '66' P/J that he made me a few years ago and still love it!

good to know ;)
I love Mark's work

On 12/12/2020 at 12:58, Mike said:

Do you have any idea about how many people constitute "a few people" and a ball-park price?

Why not do a bitsa using parts that your taste and budget dictate, and then finish it yourself. 

If you research it beforehand (and believe it or not, use a little restraint) a relic finish is easier than you  might think, after all it doesn't need to be perfect. I did one and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and end result, it's my favourite bass and I'd love to do another one day. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ead said:

Do you have any idea about how many people constitute "a few people" and a ball-park price?

Initially 5, then revised down to 2-3. This was two years ago (so costs may have gone up) but he quoted around £1180 (that was sunburst which is a little extra).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/12/2020 at 20:56, rubis said:

Why not do a bitsa using parts that your taste and budget dictate, and then finish it yourself. 

If you research it beforehand (and believe it or not, use a little restraint) a relic finish is easier than you  might think, after all it doesn't need to be perfect. I did one and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and end result, it's my favourite bass and I'd love to do another one day. 

Hello .. thanks for the imput.. I do have some skills and build small wooden things (primarly as a decoration in my home) but I really don't think I'm experinced enough to build myself a bass, even putting bitsa parts and the RELICing them... 

• 11 months later...

Hello all,

Reviving the thread since my search has come to and end :)

SO!

Long story short 

I was in a hunt for a "p51" (slab board) bass for years, did quite a research, looked for builders, luthiers even looking to mod a cheap Harley Benton or a Squier.

My price range was around 800-1200 usd, so options like Fender Custom shop were out of the range.

Also another thing that I really like is the "worn" and "relic" look, therefor the "crafted in japan" model, which is great, also fell out of the choices. I was looking for a true passive, "first electric bass", no frills like Leo would have built it bass 

Finally... my eyes fell on this luthier from Rome (Italy) called Luca and his ALNUS Basses. He runs a Reverb shop. Does all the wood work himself, all the relicing, the hardware is from Korea (which the relics by himself) and also wires the pickup himself.

The bass sounds GREAT. Has the true vintage tone and feel. When the bass came I have to make a little setup since it was BRAND NEW, after that and after I put my trusted Thomasticks flats on ... BOOM ... true 50s fender bass.

I invite you all to check his Reverb: https://reverb.com/shop/luca-1

There are some really nice basses.

Hope you like it as much as I do :)

IMG_8201.jpg

IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8207.jpg

IMG_8208.jpg

IMG_8209.jpg

IMG_8210.jpg

IMG_8212.jpg

IMG_8213.jpg

• Like 4