Why become a member? ×

So, this is Noise Rock.

musicbassman

Not my cup of tea but I can't hear anything that outrageous or radically different going on there.

Reminds me of some of the more ravey indie bands from the early 90s.

If someone played that to me and told me it was a new 'Sheep on Drugs' EP (the band, not the stoned woolly animal) I'd not have disbelieved them.

Can't really see what the fuss or ire is about.

• Like 1

well having listened to that ( well maybe 30 seconds of that ) i think i'll rush out later and get their 1990 release of William Bennett Is My D1ck  ,,,oh and while i'm there i might as well get the More stinky poo E.P. (1992)

NOT. 🤢

Edited by nikon F
i didnt write richard or stinky poo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, musicbassman said:

The audience clearly love it, but I think the disco pills might help.

Saw these 2 a few times now and can confirm the disco pills theory.

They're like a noiser less polished royal blood in the sense of trying to make the bass sound like anything but, cool vid

I like Lightning Bolt.

Noise Rock has been around as a genre since the early 80's though, and got increasingly popular in the 90's (though largely remaining an underground kind of genre).

Sonic Youth properly being the most popular band of this genre. 

I played bass in a noise rock band myself around the mid 90's, and later in the 00's in a noise rock and hardcore influenced math rock band with the same lineup, but with an added extra bass player (where I had more sort of a "lead" bass player kind of role and the other bassist sticking mostly to a more traditional supportive bassist kind of role).

Basically it is just more or less experimental rock, partially drawing inspiration from early punk and incorporating noise/atonal and sometimes improvisational elements from avantgarde music and free jazz.  

This is a great album from Lightning Bolt :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Here's a bit of poppy noisecore; audience are great!

Pretty good grindcore! This is stuff I listen to to relax. I love how much fun the crowd is having, makes me wish I was younger and fitter.

15 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I like Lightning Bolt.

Noise Rock has been around as a genre since the early 80's though, and got increasingly popular in the 90's (though largely remaining an underground kind of genre).

Sonic Youth properly being the most popular band of this genre. 

I played bass in a noise rock band myself around the mid 90's, and later in the 00's in a noise rock and hardcore influenced math rock band with the same lineup, but with an added extra bass player (where I had more sort of a "lead" bass player kind of role and the other bassist sticking mostly to a more traditional supportive bassist kind of role).

Basically it is just more or less experimental rock, partially drawing inspiration from early punk and incorporating noise/atonal and sometimes improvisational elements from avantgarde music and free jazz.  

This is a great album from Lightning Bolt :

Rock's not really my bag so most of the sub-sub-post-sub genre names mean nowt to me. What be 'math rock'  then ?

15 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_rock

Basically progressive rock for hipsters. :crazy:

How dare you. It's also self-indulgent w***y jazz for hipsters. 

To be fair it probably has the same ratio of utter toss to good stuff as prog, but with less Rick Wakeman in a wizard's cloak. So I think we can all agree it has an edge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobbass4k said:

How dare you. It's also self-indulgent w***y jazz for hipsters. 

To be fair it probably has the same ratio of utter toss to good stuff as prog, but with less Rick Wakeman in a wizard's cloak. So I think we can all agree it has an edge.

No. Rick Wakeman in a wizards cloak was one of the few good things about prog rock. At least he didn't look as dull as the average Math Rock band.

• Like 1