Why become a member? ×

Does anyone own this ACG 6 string bass

GreeneKing

Thanks GreeneKing 

It’s definitely a genuine post. I’m a friend of the guy (Steve) who passed on (April) and have come here on behalf of his wife (Lisanne) who has asked me (and lots of other musos) to help locate it. 

Please do let me know if you hear anything or you can go back to the original Facebook post if that is more comfortable for you to do. 

regards 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Yaddy said:

Thanks GreeneKing 

It’s definitely a genuine post. I’m a friend of the guy (Steve) who passed on (April) and have come here on behalf of his wife (Lisanne) who has asked me (and lots of other musos) to help locate it. 

Please do let me know if you hear anything or you can go back to the original Facebook post if that is more comfortable for you to do. 

regards 

Have you posted on Talkbass? I'm happy to try that too if not. It's a US site.

Peter

I saw it on facebook. I hope they can find it and it all works out, but I must admit that I am really glad that it isn't mine. Just imagine if you did have it, loved it, played it all the time, it was your dream bass. Then you find that you have to give it up or be the b'stard who didn't.

I do hope they can locate it and it works out well, just glad it isn't me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreeneKing said:

Have you posted on Talkbass? I'm happy to try that too if not. It's a US site.

Peter

Hi Peter ,

I haven’t posted there no - I don’t have a login so would be grateful if you can -  thanks again. 

regards 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Just imagine if you did have it, loved it, played it all the time, it was your dream bass. Then you find that you have to give it up or be the b'stard who didn't.

I would probably bee that b'stard, if this was my number 1 and fit me like a glove. I wish them all the best in retrieving it though! 

On 01/12/2020 at 09:32, Woodinblack said:

I saw it on facebook. I hope they can find it and it all works out, but I must admit that I am really glad that it isn't mine. Just imagine if you did have it, loved it, played it all the time, it was your dream bass. Then you find that you have to give it up or be the b'stard who didn't.

I do hope they can locate it and it works out well, just glad it isn't me.

Well, the post indicates that the bloke's widow intends to buy it back, or at least make an offer. If the offer is not to your liking, you could always decline to sell it. If I were the owner and the offer was fair, I would take the cash and maybe get on the phone to ACG to commission a replacement. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

Well, the post indicates that the bloke's widow intends to buy it back, or at least make an offer. If the offer is not to your liking, you could always decline to sell it.

Precicely my point. I hate haggling at the best of times. Do you really want to haggle with someone recently widowed over something with emotional significance for them?

And if you decline to sell it would you feel great about that? I guess some wouldn't care, I would have a big problem with that.

3 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

If I were the owner and the offer was fair, I would take the cash and maybe get on the phone to ACG to commission a replacement. 

There is a very big price difference between a new commisioned bass and the price you would get for a second hand one - one of the downsides of custom instruments.

• Like 1

Whilst I don't want to be drawn into speculation over a matter such as the negotiations that may take place over this if the bass is located, given the exceptional circumstances I would be inclined to believe that the poor bloke's widow won't be looking to scalp the current owner. Furthermore, Alan may be minded to provide a gentle discount in this case that may soften the cost of the new bass. 

With all that being said, the discussions that may yet take place will be a private matter. Personally, I wouldn't feel bad about turning down a lowball offer but I may well sell for what I had paid, given the circumstances. If I could break even and bring a little comfort to a grieving family at this time, I would. 

I'd held back from questioning for fear of causing any upset, but as the conversation has headed that way curiosity has got the better of me. 

I too wondered the reason for wanting it back. If it was a beloved bass then why was it moved on in the first place? Hopefully it's as simple as a sibling saying, "I'd love Dad's old bass back". 

I also realise that it's none of my business, but that's curiosity for you. 

I do though, hope that the bass finds it's way to where it needs to be.

🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

Personally, I wouldn't feel bad about turning down a lowball offer but I may well sell for what I had paid, given the circumstances. If I could break even and bring a little comfort to a grieving family at this time, I would. 

Well, I certainly wouldn't be looking at making a profit (but then I never am), but I was refering to the case where you didn't want to give it up.

"Yes I have that bass, and no you can't have it". I wouldn't be happy saying that.

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think i'd be inclined to sell it back for no profit but i did ask myself why she wants it back if he had already decided to sell it anyway. Curious.

7 minutes ago, Maude said:

I too wondered the reason for wanting it back. If it was a beloved bass then why was it moved on in the first place? Hopefully it's as simple as a sibling saying, "I'd love Dad's old bass back".

I was also thinking that. All of those choices are personal, but if I sell something it is because I don't want it anymore, or I want something more, so it no longer has any meaning to me. HOwever, maybe it has meaning to her, even if it didn't to him, or maybe he had to sell it.

• Like 1

Hi

I was talking to him at the time and the discussion was to sell or he had sold the current bass to fund a new build I can't remember if it was sold at that point it may well have been. At that time he mentioned he was going into hospital and would get back to me once that was out of the way. So events over took the intention to get a new bass. He was a really nice guy I had a lot of time for him. Came to several of the Moffat Bass Bashes.

Alan

Edited by skelf
  • Like 8

Hello everybody,

I decided to write in here to put your minds at ease and provide a bit more background.

I am the bloke that bought the Bass from Steve in January. Sadly, because I do not check forums frequently, nor do I pay much attention to Facebook, I was unaware of the search for the lovely ACG.

Yesterday, I received an email from Steve's mail account from his wife. I imagine, because she was not able to find the instrument, she took a shot and wrote to Steve's old students, explaining the situation and also giving the sad news (which I was not aware either). 

To tackle some of the speculations on this thread, I'll try to answer as many as I can:

1. Steve was the one that sold it to me, not his wife. And this was due to the instrument becoming too heavy for his health at the moment. He had the intention to commission a new build with the money from the sale. He absolutely loved that bass, but as I said, it had become very difficult for him to even play it at home, and thus, decided to part ways to commission something lighter. And now, its his wife who is trying to reunite with the instrument because of the sentimental value attached to it.

2. I do love that bass, and was not looking to sell it. Its craftmanship is second to none in my opinion and I couldn't be happier. But given the circumstances, there is only right thing to do here (at least in my mind, there is only one choice to make). 

3. There was no haggle, no bartering, no profits to be had. We immediately decided to simply reverse the original operation. We are just coordinating the actual drop off, which should take place in the next few days (or, worst case scenario, we'll meet up on Saturday).

4. I haven't reach out to Alan (well... I actually did some months back, to ask some questions about the instrument when I got it, which he answered most graciously, even if I was not the original owner). But I haven't reach out to Alan to discuss any discounts on any future instruments. I won't say no to one though, since now I'm a 6 strings short. But then again, this has no bearing in reuniting the bass with Steve's family.

Hopefully this will bring some clarity to the situation and some peace of mind to those helping locate the instrument. It has been heart warming to see how closely knit the bass community is. Couldn't be more proud of being a part of it.  I will pop up later by the FB post (if I can find them) to leave a similar update on the matter.

Any other doubts, more than happy to answer.

Cheers!

Agustin

Edited by Lucius1756
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3