Why become a member? ×

EBS Octabass Blue Label vs previous Studio Edition?

kingforaday

I love ebs stuff and have the ‘studio version’ of the octabass. I didn’t even realise there was a newer one (they look similar - aside from an extra knob/different colour knobs) anyone grabbed one of these and able to offer some input? 

The one I have is one of my favourite octave pedals for sure, so I’m intrigued by the new version. I also own 3 boss oc2’s, valeton oc-10, sub n up mini, joyo xvi and a bass synth wah that does a good octave - a real mixed bag but gives an idea of what I like (and the fact I’m a little octave obsessed!)

The updates/changes are a little strange to me though. The tone knob seems fair enough, but from watching a video, it’s not doing much more than the switch on mine does?

They’ve changed the function of the switch to make it more accurate tracking in either high or low registers... but I’ve never really had an issue with tracking... so that doesn’t sway me. 

anyone buy one after owning a previous version and been blown away? Or shall I just stick with what I have? 

I have the Studio Edition Octabass, I've also owned the Black Label/BL True Bypass versions. Although i havent tried the new one, as you rightly say it appears the tone control replaces the 3 way EQ switch,maybe to give more subtle variation. I've absolutely no idea what or how that range switch works. Improving tracking on either high or low, I don't see how that would be useful,as the Octabass is one of the best tracking octaves I've used (and I've had a few). Does it deliberately make the high end rubbish when you switch low 😂🤣 I thought it may work like the poly mode on the old OC3 where you can have the octave on the high strings/frets and have the low strings unaffected and vice versa (That's useful).

Not to take away from the new pedal as the new range looks brilliant and I've been an avid fan and user of EBS amps/effects since 2002 (got my first octabass in 2003) but they are subtle tweaks to the existing line,not a dramatic overhaul (If it isn't broken),I believe the pedals are a bit smaller too,which is good.

I'd stick with what you have 😁

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, lee650 said:

I have the Studio Edition Octabass, I've also owned the Black Label/BL True Bypass versions. Although i havent tried the new one, as you rightly say it appears the tone control replaces the 3 way EQ switch,maybe to give more subtle variation. I've absolutely no idea what or how that range switch works. Improving tracking on either high or low, I don't see how that would be useful,as the Octabass is one of the best tracking octaves I've used (and I've had a few). Does it deliberately make the high end rubbish when you switch low 😂🤣 I thought it may work like the poly mode on the old OC3 where you can have the octave on the high strings/frets and have the low strings unaffected and vice versa (That's useful).

Not to take away from the new pedal as the new range looks brilliant and I've been an avid fan and user of EBS amps/effects since 2002 (got my first octabass in 2003) but they are subtle tweaks to the existing line,not a dramatic overhaul (If it isn't broken),I believe the pedals are a bit smaller too,which is good.

I'd stick with what you have 😁

Cheers, yeah I think you’re probably right - it’s just one of those things where there’s a new version of something I really like, so I feel like I should probably try it. I’ve seen a couple crop up for sale and it’s tempting - I excitedly went to watch a video of it and was left a bit underwhelmed, seeing as I already have the studio edition

5 hours ago, lee650 said:

Talking about the old Octabass, I've still got one of the old grey ones without the switch, and with the jacks the wrong way round, that I had back in around '98 and used for years. I keep looking at the newer ones, but I use the Octabvre more now, and don't know if I really need another Octabass when the old one sounds great. I lent my EBS to a friend a couple of years ago, and he managed to blow out a rental amp with it.

Hope I am not hijacking the thread but I noticed that EBS have revamped all the pedals.  I was thinking of the Unichorus and BassIQ and same as with the Octabass is there much difference between the older models and the newer?  Sorry again for straying outside of the topic

39 minutes ago, bassbora said:

Hope I am not hijacking the thread but I noticed that EBS have revamped all the pedals.  I was thinking of the Unichorus and BassIQ and same as with the Octabass is there much difference between the older models and the newer?  Sorry again for straying outside of the topic

No that’s fine, I was only asking about that one in particular as it’s a personal fave... I have been looking at other ebs pedals recently (and owned a multicomp before, which I see has also been updated)

ive not checked the ones you mentioned but would be interested to hear from anyone who has, to know what exactly has been updated. 

• Like 1

Looking online they've only updated Multi comp/octabass/IQ

Once again,I haven't tried these,so only speculating based on years of using EBS pedals.

The multi comp now has its threshold on the front,which is brilliant,however you still have to adjust an internal trimpot to adjust the multi band mode thresholds. It would have been much more useful to have 2 x mini knobs for the treble/Bass thresholds. The front threshold is great for the normal/tube SIM modes. They have announced they've changed the photocell! I hope that doesn't change the sound too much,as this is a Classic comp.

The IQ has had the biggest makeover, as it has the sensitivity on the front. My complaint about the original was you couldn't adjust the sensitivity on the fly. So certain basses wouldn't trigger the effect properly,causing nothing but a bassy Thwomp. They've kept the up/down modes and replaced the HI Q mode (pretty much a high range Band pass filter) with a more useful up setting with a range switch (like an old mutron) but unfortunately accessible via a trimpot. They've added 3 filter modes which wernt there before! The mighty low pass, a band pass (IMHO Useless with bass,unless it has a clean blend to add dry bass in) and a full range which I've no eperience of in other filters. All in all a very useful set of upgrades.

There doesn't seem to be an updated Unichorus as yet,im curious to see what they'll do with that. Likely a clean blend as per the originals trimpot. Still a few other pedals to give a version 4 makeover 😁

I just now need to find a used Dphaser 😉

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Looking online they've only updated Multi comp/octabass/IQ

Thanks for a very comprehensive reply.  My bad re the Unichorus.  I dont know the pedals well enough and I just remember the old blue one (are there more versions??) and then there is this studio version and it looked like all the other revamped ones.  So I was curious what the difference was between the old one and the studio version.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bassbora said:

Thanks for a very comprehensive reply.  My bad re the Unichorus.  I dont know the pedals well enough and I just remember the old blue one (are there more versions??) and then there is this studio version and it looked like all the other revamped ones.  So I was curious what the difference was between the old one and the studio version.  

There were the original "Grey" label (which Doddy mentioned above) which comprised of the octabass/multi comp/unichorus. Which had jacks the opposite way round (those crazy Swedes) I'm not sure if the Bass IQ came out as a grey. There then came the black label, which added extra features like the mode switches and I think a slightly different enclosure, as well as standard in/out jacks. These were buffered bypass and gave a slight volume boost when engaged. Then came the "True bypass" black label pedals,with some minor under the hood tweaks and production moved to China.

Then came the studio edition,which was basically a cosmetic makeover and some more tweaks under the hood (im always suspicious of "improvements" made inside. Usually means using cheaper to source components).

This blue label is the first change they've made to the function of the pedals.

Im sure our very own EBS freak, whom is the authority on these things,Will be able to point out a lot more than I 😁

• Like 2