Why become a member? ×

Stubborn glue removal help

hooky_lowdown

I picked up a bass body from a mate, it was covered in some kind of wrap, been on the bass a fair few years I guess. Anyway, I managed to remove the wrap but the glue residue I'm finding impossible to remove.

I tried some window cleaner which works pretty well normally, did nothing. Next I sprayed WD-40 on, left it for almost an hour to soak in, that did nothing also.

This glue which is in patches seems super stubborn. The body has a poly finish, so any ideas how to remove this stubborn glue, nail polish remover, white spirit maybe?

17 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

pics?

try warming it a little... would of posdibly been better warming the wrap prior to removal.

hairdryer rather than heat gun.

Stay away from heat - if it's poly, you can weaken it and get cracks. Lighter fluid as mentioned above, is a good first step. Try that and get back to us.

Edited by EBS_freak

I've used Swarfega on occasion and it worked well. 

This may not work well on all sticker adhesives.

Beyond that, constant patient work with liquid detegent and warm water - this may require a body buff after the job. 

Old sticker glue can alter the colour tone of the finish - even if it's black!

Some may recommend naptha (napthalene) and while I'm sure it'll do the job you'll have difficulty obtaining the raw commodity and you'll need some serious skin, eye and respiratory protection if and while you're using it.

Normally I would use oil for sticky stuff, probably not WD40. Currently I have a pot of 'adhesive remover' which came with a kit to replace the battery in my macbook (which is glued in), works really well, on the back hidden in all the german text is says 30% acetone, 70% isopropanol.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2020 at 11:59, Woodinblack said:

Normally I would use oil for sticky stuff, probably not WD40. Currently I have a pot of 'adhesive remover' which came with a kit to replace the battery in my macbook (which is glued in), works really well, on the back hidden in all the german text is says 30% acetone, 70% isopropanol.

I  wouldn't go anywhere near a bass with anything containing acetone.  It's vicious stuff on many plastics.

8 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I  wouldn't go anywhere near a bass with anything containing acetone.  It's vicious stuff on many plastics.

Wouldn't be my first choice. When I had to remove the sticky stuff from my GK3 pickup on my precision, I just used cooking oil and a bit of effort.

• 3 weeks later...

So I tried lighter fluid - did nothing. Then tried white spirit, left it on for 30 mins, again did nothing.

I resolved it by putting water, washing up liquid and some white spirit into a bottle, covering the bass with single sheets of toilet paper, dribbling the liquid over the bass, so the toilet paper soaks up the liquid, then tightly covered it with cling film. Left it for a day and a half. It was messy, but was able to scrap the residue off with the edge of a cd.

There were a few little marks leftover, but applied some lighter fluid, and it polished up nicely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1