Why become a member? ×

Active Wiring Questions

stewblack

Hi, I am trying to restore a bass to its original glory. 

I have the pickguard with the original circuitry and the previous owner labelled the wiring so I'm reasonably confident that I can connect it all up. 

Except for the battery. There is just an void where the battery sits. No wiring nothing. 

I am fine getting the clip, 9v connection and wires. But where in tarnation do I connect them? 

IMG_20201129_134946.jpg

Looks like you'd need to resolder to the 9V in just down from the white 'Out' wire. Is it clipped off there?  You might need to desolder if so - which can be a bit tricky. I'd expect there to be a ground/- in as well near the 9V in.  it looks like there are 3 inlets to the right of the white out wire? Hard to tell from the picture. I'm sure better brains than mine will be along to offer some wisdom.

19 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Looks like you'd need to resolder to the 9V in just down from the white 'Out' wire. Is it clipped off there?  You might need to desolder if so - which can be a bit tricky. I'd expect there to be a ground/- in as well near the 9V in.  it looks like there are 3 inlets to the right of the white out wire? Hard to tell from the picture. I'm sure better brains than mine will be along to offer some wisdom.

Thank you. I will be letting someone else do it I think. 

paging @basstone is this within your skill set? 

5 hours ago, Hellzero said:

A second hand one just appeared today. Check your emails. 😉

I'm trying to fit this plate which came with the bass (previous owner converted it to passive) because I have a buyer interested in it. I've already set a very low price cannot spend any more on this.

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

Hellzero, out of curiosity how are you able to see this? Where in the picture above are you looking.

I must admit that I don't see any burning at all, but I didn't look when someone said there was.

This is protection diode burning:

P1060275.jpg

Edited by Woodinblack

I have connected it all back together and apart from a couple of scratchy pots everything appears to work. I can certainly achieve recognisable bass notes from it. 

However... all is not well. It buzzes. Loudly. But only when I touch the controls. No other metal parts buzz when touched. 

Any ideas? 

Yes, you need to earth the controls. One big black* wire going from every control to the earth point of the circuit, or the body connection of the jack socket (which is not the bit connected to the battery, but the 0v of the circuit

* other colours are available.

Edited by Woodinblack