Why become a member? ×

NAD Trace Elf 1x10 Combo

jimbartlett

A 1x10 Trace Elf just got delivered to me and I’m so impressed. I have the Elf amp and an Elf 1x10 cab for about the past year. I mainly play with the Elf cab and a VT500 head, using the Elf in my bag as a backup just in case.

Anyway, I plugged in the 1x10 combo and POW! Bags of power, great sound, great tone for a little speaker and so light and portable!

Where this really sings though is when you add the 1x10 extension cab. I can’t get over the power/heft for such a little lad!!

These are also built like a brick outhouse  my cab fell from a stand during a gig and not even a scratch on it.

Definitely worth a look into if you are in the market for a lightweight portable rig.

214E41F1-520C-42F2-98C5-6FC7D5A743A2.jpeg

2BB891F6-4833-47A3-AB97-401319F3E405.jpeg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

What can the combo do that amp and cab cannot? Confused...

I wanted a combo because I wanted an easy life. It can’t do any more, it’s just a combo. I like the 1x10 speaker I have so looked at getting the combo because I’m lazy 😄. Also the added draw was to use it as a 2x10.

Looks like a great compact modular rig😎

I have an Elf and a couple of Barefaced one10s.  I didn't demo the 10" Trace cab but I played the Barefaced one10s against the Trace 2x8" and preferred the Barefaced cabs.  I thought the little Elf sized depression in the top of the Trace cab was a great idea though.

My main amp is a Markbass 500w but I keep the Elf for home practice and back up.

• Like 1

I'm a renowned TE fan, but not so much of the Elf.

Personally if I were going to go down the modular route I would have gone down the Quilter route - the BB800 head and the 2x10 450w Cab.

The only person who has/does own this rig is @BCH who, as we know, is an absolute gent.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/434698-quilter-bassliner-2x10-450w-cover-price-cut-£400/

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/439039-sold-quilter-bass-block-800/

I'd be having a long conversation with Bernard before diving in...

I wanted the combo so I had the option for 1x10 or 2x10 with the extension. I’m in a 6 piece band so stage space is at a premium for smaller venues.

To my ears, I think the elf sounds great for what it is. I’ve owned Trace heads and this isn’t pretending to be one of those I don’t think? Just a nice little modular setup which is light, portable, doesn’t break the bank or back and sounds good. I’m happy with it and would recommend anyone to try it out if they are looking into 1x10 setups.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bazzbass said:

I agree, I have the Elf and two 10" cabs. The Elf sits in it's recessed space, why the heck would you want the combo?

I'd rather they work on a 500w Elf head......

Because for me personally, I can just use the combo on its own and just plug in a kettle lead. It’s all personal taste an opinion so if you’re happy with using the head and cabs then that’s great. I’m happy with my combo and cabs. Happy Christmas mate!

Elf into a BF Midget is my preference. I used to use TCE 250 with the two 8" speakers. As @jimbartlett says the convenience of a small combo is just so good at a gig, you're set up before you arrive.

However the Elf gives me a bit more of the sound I like, and the BF gives me lots more oomph. Or is it heft? 

But I really like the look of that 2 x 10 Elf rig. 

On 12/12/2020 at 20:17, jimbartlett said:

Because for me personally, I can just use the combo on its own and just plug in a kettle lead. It’s all personal taste an opinion so if you’re happy with using the head and cabs then that’s great. I’m happy with my combo and cabs. Happy Christmas mate!

well if plugging ONE speaker cable is such a hassle, then yeah get the combo.

I'd rather they worked on a 500w Elf still.....

Merry Xmas

• Haha 2

For looks I think it would take a lot to beat Bass Gallery's offering. I have had a BF One10, and seperately, an Elf, which I sold.  Both of which moves I regret.  Although I don't regret replacing them with an Ashdown 300 head and Phil Jones 6x7.

Screenshot 2020-12-15 160850.png

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1