Why become a member? ×

Pino on The Tube

Fishman

I saw that band in 1983 at Warwick University. Pino was in full effect!

I think it may have been his first solo tour so some of the venues were smaller like WU. He then went on The Tube and it all exploded from there (I think they were asked back onto the show the following week, such was the response to their performance). As I recall there were then a number of further shows booked in larger theatres so the tour was a bit of a mish-mash of club size venues and larger theatres.

A really good band... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, casapete said:

I saw Paul Young around this time, great band. The backing vocalists were introduced as ‘The Fabulous Wealthy Tarts’. The album ‘No Parlez’ had just been released, first time I’d heard of Pino. Happy days.

Apparently the story of the Fabulous Wealthy Tarts name was that they (along with Pino) were playing with Jools Holland (before Paul Young). Jools wanted to have a name for the band and especially the backing singers. They agreed as long as it didn’t make them “sound cheap”!

Over to Jools...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, casapete said:

I saw Paul Young around this time, great band. The backing vocalists were introduced as ‘The Fabulous Wealthy Tarts’. The album ‘No Parlez’ had just been released, first time I’d heard of Pino. Happy days.

Likewise. I saw them at The Lyceum in London. I was never a fan of Steve Bolton’s playing with the Royal Family, but it was different. Piano was such a star of that band and a principle reason I took up the bass. Pino married Maz from the FWTs.

• Like 1

Just now, Old Man Riva said:

I saw that band in 1983 at Warwick University. Pino was in full effect!

I think it may have been his first solo tour so some of the venues were smaller like WU. He then went on The Tube and it all exploded from there (I think they were asked back onto the show the following week, such was the response to their performance). As I recall there were then a number of further shows booked in larger theatres so the tour was a bit of a mish-mash of club size venues and larger theatres.

A really good band... 

I think you’re right. I saw them at a venue in Hull called Dingwalls, which was part of the famous London venue’s attempt to open more clubs throughout the UK. Didn’t last long I’m afraid, 6 months max. Was a great venue though, small/medium sized room that had previously been a German style drinking establishment.  I saw loads of great gigs there - as well as Paul Young they included Bo Diddley, Aztec Camera, Orange Juice, Eurythmics and John Martin as well as many great local bands.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, casapete said:

I saw them at the Derngate Theatre in Northampton on the No Parlez tour, I was absolutely blown away by quality of the band but especially Pino and some 37 years on I am "pleased" to say I still can't play like Pino!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I think you’re right. I saw them at a venue in Hull called Dingwalls, which was part of the famous London venue’s attempt to open more clubs throughout the UK. Didn’t last long I’m afraid, 6 months max. Was a great venue though, small/medium sized room that had previously been a German style drinking establishment.  I saw loads of great gigs there - as well as Paul Young they included Bo Diddley, Aztec Camera, Orange Juice, Eurythmics and John Martin as well as many great local bands.

We had a similar venue in Coventry called The General Wolfe. It was a big old pub on the outskirts of the city and had a great venue room separate in the back of the pub.

As well as the landlord giving local bands a chance to rehearse/gig there, they also had some excellent gigs on - including very early U2, Eurythmics, Thompson Twins, Hambi & the Dance, Steve Marriott's Packet of Three, and also a secret Robert Plant Honeydrippers gig.

It's probably now luxury flats...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

We had a similar venue in Coventry called The General Wolfe. It was a big old pub on the outskirts of the city and had a great venue room separate in the back of the pub.

As well as the landlord giving local bands a chance to rehearse/gig there, they also had some excellent gigs on - including very early U2, Eurythmics, Thompson Twins, Hambi & the Dance, Steve Marriott's Packet of Three, and also a secret Robert Plant Honeydrippers gig.

It's probably now luxury flats...

I dread to think what’s going to happen to the few remaining similar venues when the current situation gets sorted. Certainly think we were blessed with having so many events going on in such places when we were younger.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, casapete said:

I dread to think what’s going to happen to the few remaining similar venues when the current situation gets sorted. Certainly think we were blessed with having so many events going on in such places when we were younger.

Definitely. I’m 58, and started going to see bands in the mid 70s. Myself and my mates were obsessed with music, and as we got a bit older in the late 70s/80s could see bands in Coventry at Coventry Theatre, Tiffanys/Locarno, Lanchester Polytechnic, Warwick University, The General Wolfe and more. Then we also had a short train journey to Brum to the Odeon, Town Hall, Hippodrome, Edwards, Barrel Organ etc. We were spoilt for choice as there was always something happening.

I feel so lucky to have grown up when I did and been able to see some brilliant bands fairly easily. 

Some of those nights were the most positive, enjoyable and memorable of my life, such was/is the importance of music, and I was not alone in feeling that...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Apparently the story of the Fabulous Wealthy Tarts name was that they (along with Pino) were playing with Jools Holland (before Paul Young). Jools wanted to have a name for the band and especially the backing singers. They agreed as long as it didn’t make them “sound cheap”!

Over to Jools...

I worked with both the girls backing them for about six months (at the latter part of the 70's, I was in the resident band). It was a six night a week night club called 'The El Nile' (just off of Oxford Street).

The girls had a cabaret act and used to do the late shift. Quite often coming in after doing other gigs/shows earlier. They were a great laugh, especially Kim. I believe she lives out in the States these days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

I worked with both the girls backing them for about six months (at the latter part of the 70's, I was in the resident band). It was a six night a week night club called 'The El Nile' (just off of Oxford Street).

The girls had a cabaret act and used to do the late shift. Quite often coming in after doing other gigs/shows earlier. They were a great laugh, especially Kim. I believe she lives out in the States these days.

That’s a great story! What sort of stuff did they used to do?

Vocally I always thought they were the perfect foil for Paul Young...

2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

That’s a great story! What sort of stuff did they used to do?

Vocally I always thought they were the perfect foil for Paul Young...

Disco and soul tunes if I remember correctly. Although, I defiantly seem to recall playing Stevie Wonder's tune, 'Living For The City'.

EDIT: Haha... Blimey, I've just seen this. Kim Leslie is now Rev Kim Leslie. And she is still singing  'Living For The City'!!

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Disco and soul tunes if I remember correctly. Although, I defiantly seem to recall playing Stevie Wonder's tune, 'Living For The City'.

EDIT: Haha... Blimey, I've just seen this. Kim Leslie is now Rev Kim Leslie. And she is still singing  'Living For The City'!!

Excellent! She’s still got it then..! 

• Like 2