Why become a member? ×

Best Wireless ‘Bug’ Devices for Home Use

Deedee

13 minutes ago, nikon F said:

does the licence for 5.8 ghz have to be renewed  every year ?

I don't think you need a licence for 5.8ghz. e..g the Lekato system per @stewblack and the many on Amazon make no mention of a license. My wifi at home has 5.8ghz channels as provided by BT and I have not been told I need a license, perhaps being at home changes things, however.

A watch-it on 5.8GHz wireless systems

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:07 am

Whilst perusing Amazon for guitar-related items, I noticed that I was being proffered ads for 5.8GHz wireless guitar systems (other types of wireless systems are also available). These just seem to be simple frequency variations on 2.4GHz and 5GHz systems already available. e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEKATO-Wireles ... nts&sr=1-8

However, there is no warning in these ads that unlike 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands, that in the UK the 5.8GHz band isn't license free. It's lightly regulated by Ofcom, basically to keep track of what's where and hopefully avoid band overload in the future, but it still legally requires you to buy a license and register the device with Ofcom (all a fairly painless on-line procedure).

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-li ... ess-access

The band is really designed for fixed devices to communicate wirelessly, such as CCTV cameras, so is not really meant to be used for devices that can move geographically, though I doubt a single unit will break the system. But as such, whilst licenses are only £1 each (so it doesn't cost too much to register all the CCTV cameras in an office building), there is a minimum charge of £50, renewable annually (spellcheck suggested 'anally', which would be even more of a PITA).

So buying one of these devices isn't a cheap proposition, plus the fact that you'll be using it as a 'secondary' user, so may get disruption from the primary users of the band, using much more powerful transmitters. And if you don't get a license, you'll be breaking the law.

didnt notice before but if that article is correct its to be renewed annually
Edited by nikon F
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nikon F said:

A watch-it on 5.8GHz wireless systems

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:07 am

Whilst perusing Amazon for guitar-related items, I noticed that I was being proffered ads for 5.8GHz wireless guitar systems (other types of wireless systems are also available). These just seem to be simple frequency variations on 2.4GHz and 5GHz systems already available. e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEKATO-Wireles ... nts&sr=1-8

However, there is no warning in these ads that unlike 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands, that in the UK the 5.8GHz band isn't license free. It's lightly regulated by Ofcom, basically to keep track of what's where and hopefully avoid band overload in the future, but it still legally requires you to buy a license and register the device with Ofcom (all a fairly painless on-line procedure).

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-li ... ess-access

The band is really designed for fixed devices to communicate wirelessly, such as CCTV cameras, so is not really meant to be used for devices that can move geographically, though I doubt a single unit will break the system. But as such, whilst licenses are only £1 each (so it doesn't cost too much to register all the CCTV cameras in an office building), there is a minimum charge of £50, renewable annually (spellcheck suggested 'anally', which would be even more of a PITA).

So buying one of these devices isn't a cheap proposition, plus the fact that you'll be using it as a 'secondary' user, so may get disruption from the primary users of the band, using much more powerful transmitters. And if you don't get a license, you'll be breaking the law.

didnt notice before but if that article is correct its to be renewed annually

Well I did not know that. I suspect my broadband is probably 5ghz then.

8 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I had no idea about licensing. The router we use with our wireless desk  is 5.8 too so we're really living life on the edge. 

Is it a chinese import? I don't think you can actually sell licensed ones in the UK with 5.8, just 5 or 2.4GHz, in the same way that our routers miss out a couple of channels you have have in the states.

2 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

Well I did not know that. I suspect my broadband is probably 5ghz then.

22 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I had no idea about licensing. The router we use with our wireless desk  is 5.8 too so we're really living life on the edge. 

You people sicken me

• Haha 2

• 8 months later...

Just a quick update. Took my bulky Line 6 set up to last night's gig. My bulky, four times the price of the Lekato bug, set up.

Swapped it out after multiple drop outs for the Lekato, which worked faultlessly thereafter.

Then today had a rehearsal. Used the Lekato for another 3 hours. So it basically performed faultlessly all last night and again for three more hours today and still doesn't need a charge.

Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Interesting. For the first time we (or rather my singer) had huge issues with her Xvive IEM system. Me and the the guitarist were using Xvive U2’s, with no issues, he was on ch4 and im on ch2, but her IEM kept cutting out and was totally un reliable at anything over 1ft distance. We tried all the channels with no difference. 

There was one of those rowdy church service type of things going on in the rehearsal complex, and at one stage she had the preacher/voice of god, coming through her IEM’s. 

I can’t figure out why the rest of us had no issues, but it was quite comical…..for a while.