Why become a member? ×

Careful with your fingers.....

Beedster

12 hours ago, jimmy23cricket said:

I find this post a little bit worrying. We don’t live in a overly litigious country quite yet, but it seems that the OP is floating the idea that barefaced has been massively negligent in some way. 

Where does this end, what’s the end point? Do we start suing Valve head makers for putting backs out? do we start going after Ernie Ball because when I changed my strings the wire poked me and drew blood? 

I think it’s a slippery slope.

If the cab had electrocuted you simply by plugging in, fair play, go after them.  If you lifted it maybe where it shouldn’t have...then there is a design flaw that probably needs looking at but not to the point of veiled potential legal action.

Apologies if I’m coming across as too dismissive. I’m just putting myself in your position and wondering how I would react. 

I hope I made it clear that I was not interested in legal action at the time and most certainly not now. However, regarding your comment about valve amps, you'll note that the manufacturers of some valve amps do have warnings about volume and and weight in both the manuals and sometimes on the gear itself (Mesa for example) :)

Your comment that there is a design flaw that needs looking at is my sentiment. 

10 hours ago, alexclaber said:

Sorry, just a correction to my above post, Chris did say he “cut his finger quite badly” in his first email, he signed off that email “All in all, a stunning cab though, many many thanks”. So he did make clear it was quite bad but the general tone was positive.

I responded thus: “Glad the cab performed well! That's very odd about the corner - it isn't something we check, they should be safe for installation with no sharp edges when we receive them. It's the first I've heard of this happening in a few thousand cabs. How's your finger now?”

Obviously I should have said “sorry” too! My response was quite a few days after his email was sent so the “how’s your finger?” wasn’t flippant, it was a genuine “how’s it healed?” question. As a mountain biker I’m forever injuring myself so I’m used to the timelines on all manner of grazes, scratches and deeper cuts.

And the same day Chris replied, “thanks for getting back. Finger pretty much healed, no biggy.”

As is probably clear from my general approach with Barefaced, I really don’t like inaccuracy or untruths, so I thought I should add that in as my prior post wasn’t quite right.

On another note, to provide some perspective, I don’t have a corner to hand to measure, but it’s thick steel, thicker than most stamped steel cutlery handles. I’m not sure of the exact radius on the actual edges but everything is rounded off - for example it’s thicker and more rounded than a typical steel ruler, a few times as thick and with much rounder edges. That’s why I keep saying that it isn’t a design fault to have that overlap, it’s not an unsafe feature. It’s very frustrating that this one bad corner ended up on a cab and hurt someone but as I’ve said a few times, I really do believe it’s a very low probability issue.

When Chris brought it up last year I spoke to the factory team and they said they’d never noticed a sharp corner but they’d look out for them. I checked again with them this week and they said that it’s not something they come across, despite all the manual handling of the corners.

I need a bit of a break from all this, it is Saturday evening after all, so I’ll come back on Monday to see what everyone says. Please be kind whilst I’m away.

Hi Alex

I'm not sure that anything I said contradicts the above, but clearly you see my initial account as different. No problem. I do think that in the context of the above, both members who've posted in this thread having checked the same unit on their cab have said that they've likewise noted is at a potential risk, and several other see it as poor design and/or finishing. I'm pretty sure other owners will identify this as being the case also; had I titled this thread 'Check your BF cab for sharp metal" it might already be running to 100 posts?

I'll leave it here Alex, I won't say any more in this thread. You've acknowledged yourself that you could have dealt better with it at the time, but I should probably have made it much clearer then how angry I was, although in the grand scheme of things at that time I had other things to deal with that were more pressing. But this doesn't change the fact that to my mind the poor design/QC issue remains. As I said above, if the BC community think I'm being an overly sensitive whinger, so be it. If the consensus is that there is poor design/QC, then perhaps it's an opportunity for BC to improve the quality of their products and customer service.

Chris

• Like 1

I must admit, I hadn’t considered that interfering with the overlap of the corner might introduce the possibility of corrosion later on down the line. Perhaps I won’t take a Dremel to mine after all.

All things considered, none of this would stop me buying Barefaced again. I absolutely love mine and if I could justify buying another one, I would.

I can’t believe anyone is defending such shoddy workmanship. 

It’s the kind of thing I’d expect from a home-made cab. 

Were it any other responsible manufacturer, the immediate response from the would have been to withdraw items for sale, make absolutely sure all new products do not have the same issue and, very importantly, to contact all previous customers to let them know there was potential risk of personal injury. 

In most fields, where a product is valued around the £1,000 mark, the manufacturer would follow up and offer to make good on any products by offering repairs or to supply replacement parts. Let’s face it, these brackets are mass-produced and not exactly high cost items. 

In this case they were produced to a low standard and caused genuine injury to a customer. 

As an ex-retailer, and current supplier of professional services, I would expect the seller to be all over the customer offering profound apologies and remedies to make good. 

I’m all for small volume British manufacturing but when it genuinely injures customers and, potentially, could have ruined their careers as a musician then I’d expect a far greater duty of care than has been displayed here. . . 

• Like 3

I have had no dealings with Mr Beedster or Mr caber so I have my own opinion I think the metal bracket and I'm going from the picture looks like a very poor quality piece of work and maybe design but I've never studied a barefaced cab so I'm just going by the picture but for and item that is so expensive to use such a shoddy looking bracket isn't great and I'm talking as a experienced engineer and fabricator sadly is the way of the world now use cheap shite and sell for top dollar 

Also I do see the point of both parties so hopefully they can sort it out 

Having just checked the  metal corners on my BF Super Compact and I wouldn't say they're totally blunt. Are they sharp enough to cut my hand? Well I won't try that experiment for obvious reasons.  I don't know why barefaced didn't stick with the plastic ones? They do the job on my Markbass combo. 

4 hours ago, gjones said:

Having just checked the  metal corners on my BF Super Compact and I wouldn't say they're totally blunt. Are they sharp enough to cut my hand? Well I won't try that experiment for obvious reasons.  I don't know why barefaced didn't stick with the plastic ones? They do the job on my Markbass combo. 

I bought one of Alex's first Compact cabs with the plastic corners. I don't mind plastic parts at all but at the time, I owned a lot of Markbass cabs and the corners on them seemed more substantial.  So my feedback at the time was for Alex to go for more robust metal corners.

To be honest, I've owned several Barefaced cabs and never noticed any sharp edges.  That's not at all meant to detract from Beedster's experience though, to be clear.

I suppose it would be easy enough to change to plastic corners if they had had more appeal in todays market.

Frank.

5 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

This should've been dealt with at the time. The OP missed the boat and has just posted this as fall out from the Machinist thread.

Day one, suffered an injury due to a malfunctioning or defective product.. make a claim. To fail to do so and rake it up years later doesn't help anybody.

The law doesn’t work like that.

Just now, Billy Apple said:

I didn't say anything about the law or a personal injury claim.

But seeing as you mention it, he should get on with it. Or in reality is it about something else?

What claim were you referring to then? I was just clarifying that if this claim was a personal injury one, that boat has certainly not been missed.

Im sorry, my fault - I must have interpreted your words completely inaccurately.