Why become a member? ×

My book about being a bassist is published..!

Alfie Noakes

I’ve only finally gone and done it, as in written a book! It’s all about my many years as a bassist mainly in covers bands, what made me do it, how many basses and amps I’ve bought and sold (gulp) mainly on here, but mainly about the fun I’ve had, and funny things that have happened along the way. I’ve tried also to share some of the advice and knowledge I’ve acquired that might prove useful, IMHO, obvs, as da kids say. Ultimately though, I hope it makes you smile, and you find it enjoyable.

A big thank you to @Dave Vader bassist and author of this very parish, who provided some wise words and guidance. He said he enjoyed it, as have a few other of my selected guinea pigs / test pilots. Some even said it was very funny indeed, but I’ll let you guys be the judges.

It’s in Kindle format at the bargain price of £4.99 (link below), or paperback format direct from me at £8 inc. postage and packing (which is cheaper than it is on Amazon, although it’s up there too if you want to shop there). If you prefer the paperback format, PM me your name and address, and payment preference (Paypal or bank transfer), and I’ll advise accordingly. I’ll even write a signed dedication inside the front cover if you let me know what you want, which may be worth millions when one of my bands finally makes it big.........there again, most likely not!

https://eur05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fdp%2FB08CGY1V9X%2Fref%3Dcm_sw_r_em_api_wI0GFbPQ7NSBD&data=02|01||99808ebee8c844256c1608d86e0fd55a|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|637380361560219122&sdata=RmtiUEgYmJOF0HNZAVyeZ%2BFc4y818DMraO%2FBzpL9Z7w%3D&reserved=0

E8985717-918F-478E-81DD-1620483AD04F.jpeg

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 20
  • Haha 3

Nice one. Will get it for Kindle. Ashamed to admit ive not read Dave Vader’s one yet, even though i got it when it came out. 

EDIT:I  just got it. Even the bit about the older boys and their  Yes/Prog records made me laugh. Same thing at my school, while i too was listening to TOTP cover albums (and Burt Weedon/the Shadows while trying to learn to play). 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

Just finished reading, and... it's wonderful. "My Bass and Other Animals", only for weekend warriors and not globe-trotting session players and therefore something far closer to home and relatable.  The chapter on lead guitarists is particularly accurate.

More than anything, it's very funny from start to finish, and is written with huge warmth and affection.  

Even the glossary's great. And where else are we going to find a published book with an entire chapter dedicated to Basschat?

If you've ever played bass in a band, or thought about it, buy this book. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1