Why become a member? ×

Preamp for around 150 eur (140 gbp cca) USED

johnpaulbass

Hello bass friends,

I did a search before I decided to write down this thread. 
I'm in a hunt, ONLY USED !, for a a good bass preamp that has to have the BAL input since for a future project we're working to go full in ear and this would be quite a minimalist thing (trio, mostly acoustic stuff, there will be some electric but with VEEEEEEEEEEERY low volume). I intend to build myself a pedal board with: tuner, preamp, maybe a LS2 from Boss in order to have the possibility of 2 basses.

Said so I'm planning to use my Custom shop fender P bass and a semi hollow bass.

So far, from what I have seen in this price range (again, in the used market) the choice goes between these:

- Aguilar tone hammer (my favorite so far)

- mxr m81 

- electro harmonix battalion

- eden wtdi

ecc..

The point of this thread is to explore for some other that I may not have found. What are you experience ? I would love to read of other preamps 

Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm using a MicroBass 3 straight to PA, which is slightly out of your stated budget... but you said you might add a tuner and an LS-2, in which case the MicroBass 3 already has those things built in.  The MicroBass 3 has two physical input channels, which can be independent or blended; I put my acoustic (upright) on channel 1 as it has the full eq including semi-parametric mids and a notch filter.  I put P bass on channel 2 which has semi-param mids and drive.  Also, I don't know what your in-ear setup is, but the MicroBass 3 has an aux-in for the monitor feed, and independent volume control of your bass to your ears.  It also has two DI outputs and an effects loop.  For me as an aspiring minimalist, it replaced about four pedals and it has no extraneous functions.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Of those listed I only have experience of the Tonehammer, and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it, it’s a great pedal if looking for more vintage style tones, such as valve warmth. 

Agreed it’s a great pedal. I think you might want to think a little further on the type of sound you want as that will necessarily impact on the type of preamp you gravitate towards. A bit tubey / dirty or super clean or somewhere in between? Tone hammer does the tube thing well, MXR DI is very clean. Both great (I’ve had and used both) in the right setting....what sort of vibe are you going for? What’s your bass / string setup? 

• Like 1

Hello,

thank you guys for the raccomandations 'till now. I was an Mxr m80 user years ago but really didn't like the drive settingm the clean sound 'though is great. Few years back I've had also the tone hammer and indeed it's a great pedal.

But as @jrixn1 said I'm intrigued with the microbass of EBS that was mentioned. Said that it's quite overbuget.. :(