Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady in New colours

AndyTravis

Incidentally, I finally got to play the bass amplified today. It disguises itself as a refined, almost genteel instrument, but there's a growling beast hiding in there! It responds extremely well to distortion - I tried it with five different distortion pedals of varying ferocity and it loved them all. 

It's a bit of a cliché but it's a very honest tone - it sounds just like it's acoustic sound, only... amplified. My '51 Precision was similar but that had a looser tone, spiky and a bit wild.

Absolute joy of a bass. I picked up my Rickenbacker after and it felt like a brick.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Do you find the Finish changes from deep turquoise to denim blue and then like a metallic Grey in different lights? 

Tempted by a red in the new year - if I bump into one...

Yes, definitely! It's quite something.

The gold is next on my list!  There's a red Anniversary model on Ebay at the moment if that's your thing... I was tempted.

Actually, a case is next on my list. Good luck with that...

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

2 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Yes, definitely! It's quite something.

The gold is next on my list!  There's a red Anniversary model on Ebay at the moment if that's your thing... I was tempted.

Actually, a case is next on my list. Good luck with that...

It fits in my Fender Urban bag. Just.

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah, acoustically louder, more depth to sound - more robust.

need to do a full set up when new strings arrive.

also, weighs about 4 times more than standard 3 point, so alleviates the neck dive issue these basses are known for.

What strings did you decide to use?

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

This bridge resolves it 👍🏼

If that’s the case I may have to reconsider, although I’d be worried in case it didn’t resolve it enough for my particular issues. 

Gotta say, always wanted a black one but that PB is lush. 

What  model is the bridge Andy?

Edited by 4000

4 minutes ago, 4000 said:

If that’s the case I may have to reconsider, although I’d be worried in case it didn’t resolve it enough for my particular issues. 

Gotta say, always wanted a black one but that PB is lush. 

What  model is the bridge Andy?

The Babicz FCH-3

4 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Cheers! If it resolves the neck dive, the bass and bridge are a very tempting thing indeed. I suspect it would sound great in our band too. What’s the overall weight like once the bridge is fitted?

Well it’s now about 9lbs. Will weigh it now.

These basses do sound fab. I nabbed the pick up and transformer hoping to put it into a 51 p bass but don't thing it's as viable an option as I'd hoped. Does that justify getting another one? The JC looks massive on me :) but the sounds really is cracking. The bridge up grades both look great but sounds like the Babicz might just have it?